PDA

View Full Version : Art Audio Concerto MK2 with Definitive Audio Mods

Colin151
09-03-2016, 21:43
Up for sale is my Definitive Audio Modified Art Audio Concerto MK2 amplifier. Fitted with a quad of Harma 6550 tubes with 20 hours on them and new 5184 and 6H23N tubes. Art Audio amps are hand made and used top quality parts including Sowter transformers made in Ipswich. No nasty cheap transformers in these amps

I had a pair of Audio Innovations series 1000 monoblocks earlier this year and this amp totally smokes those in my opinion. It’s far more musical and refined sounding. I also had a stock Concerto mk2 in the past and the Definitive Audio mods this amp has (using expensive and discontinued Hovland film Musicaps and Kondo silver wiring) greatly increases the clarity/transparency, so you get a sound comparable with a low powered DHT tube amp (such as a 300B amp) but with considerably more power, drive and dynamics, and vastly increased ability to drive a wider range of speakers. Power output is about 40 watts which is plenty for most speakers but it can be increased even further is desired if you fit KT90s, KT120s or KT150 (which are all compatible with this amp)

This is the Mk2 version of the Concerto, which has 8 and 4 ohm taps (the original was more limited as it only had 6 ohm taps) and it also uses a bigger chassis than the mk1 with improved heat dissipation.

These amps now cost £5K new retail, without any mods. This amp is priced at a ridiculously low £1200. I should really be selling it for around £2K but am willing to pass on a good bargain to someone.
http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll225/Colin15150/DSC05204%20Copy.jpg
http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll225/Colin15150/DSC05185%20Copy_2.jpg
http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll225/Colin15150/DSC05200_2.jpg

hughandella
09-03-2016, 23:19
I'm a convert to silver wiring --- it is just more transparent in my view --- as long as the rest of the kit is up to it 'more will be revealed' --- I blamed silver cables etc in the past for being too 'brittle or bright' sounding --- now realise it was just showing what was there all along -- whether some things are best left hidden is another question lol ==== GLWTS anyway

Colin151
09-03-2016, 23:22
I'm a convert to silver wiring --- it is just more transparent in my view --- as long as the rest of the kit is up to it 'more will be revealed' --- I blamed silver cables etc in the past for being too 'brittle or bright' sounding --- now realise it was just showing what was there all along -- whether some things are best left hidden is another question lol ==== GLWTS anyway

Thanks. I've read before a few times that there is good and bad silver cabling. It depends on how well the silver annealing process is done and plenty of cables sound awful. Brittle and overly bright, just as you describe. So that might explain some of the differening views. Kondo cabling is obviously the biz. A decent cable should slightly increase clarity but not sound brittle or too bright.

hughandella
10-03-2016, 00:06
Thanks. I've read before a few times that there is good and bad silver cabling. It depends on how well the silver annealing process is done and plenty of cables sound awful. Brittle and overly bright, just as you describe. So that might explain some of the differening views. Kondo cabling is obviously the biz. A decent cable should slightly increase clarity but not sound brittle or too bright.

I'm the first to admit that I am dangerous in that I know just enough to have an opinion without knowing enough to contribute in a meaningful manner !! .. but I am learning fast --- I've shared on here that I have been terribly impressed with SW1X products and it transpired that they are designed from scratch but 5 mins from me ! ... so much so I am going to team up with the owner to help develop the brand ( and I will list as 'in the hifi business' when it becomes official ) --- but we had the third 4+ hour listening session today, and this time we used my kit as a starting point rather than the rather more exotic and expensive kit at SW1X HQ !-- it was fascinating to witness changes to the system stage by stage and cable by cable and see HEAR! the difference --- it was not that subtle a change in many instances suffice to say -- and this is from a bit of a sceptic ----- and certainly someone who believed for example that the last 1 metre of cable from the socket to an amp etc surely could not make any difference to the miles of cable between me and the power station grid -- but I did hear it and no one was more surprised than me ! .... can't explain it --- but i can hear it ........... one belief I had was only confirmed --- measurements are not pointless but i simply dont think we know how to measure 'musicality' yet ---- a non oversampled chip with a tube output just sounds better ( to my ears -- for better read more natural/musical ) than a sound shaped oversampled to XXX DAC that measures much better ---- I realise I've gone off topic and getting contentious but it's been a real eye and ear opener for me ---- I am hoping to invite a few people over to come for a listen in time -- I was surprised how much difference there was in my relatively low end system. I cant afford to go silver wired throughout etc but can make some meaningful changes for a man in the street budget ....... I'll stop now !

cheers

chris

Colin151
14-03-2016, 21:54
Thanks for the reply Chris. I v busy right now and don't have time to reply but will do soon.

Just got time for a little bump..

Colin151
27-03-2016, 17:46
Bump

Colin151
31-03-2016, 16:37
Bump. No idea why this has not sold yet. I've had plenty of interest but no firm sale so far. This amp is the bargain of the century at this price of £1200. Happy to demo. Will drive virtually anything.

struth
31-03-2016, 17:14
Yeah, I'm surprised this baby aint moved as well... its a lovely thing to look at into the bargain.