PDA

View Full Version : A moan about the weather

Labarum
03-11-2009, 19:42
Since we arrived in Cyprus it has rained most days and many days have been warmer in England. Hey Ho.

A few years ago when I was stationed in Dhekelia the two winters were the coldest in many a year. Hey Ho.

Well, the sun does shine between the heavy showers, and they have not turned the mains water off since we arrived - the silver lining.

No. It's really very pleasant. Auntie's bungalow is equipped with electrical night storage heaters which we have now turned on - they are sufficient most of the time - a boost is effected by running the aircon backwards. This is the first house I have lived in with a three phase supply. Cyprus struggles to generate enough electricity not in the winter, but in August, aircon drinks it, but is quite efficient when working backwards to cool the world and warm the house!

Caiman driving my Sony F1 headphones beautifully. Another two weeks and my Quad 405 and big speakers should have arrived. Lounge-Diner is 8m x 4m and 3m high, so I am looking forward to a BIG sound!

The bungalow is on what was once a quiet country lane out of a village called Strovolos - sadly no longer. We have been swallowed up by greater Nicosia and the lane is a rat run - you can hear the boy racers approach with their super charged boom boxes in the boot. When we fit the double glazing twill help! But I can just turn up the Quad! I guess I will still here the village church bells - all adds character.

DSJR
03-11-2009, 20:45
Are you going to get specially treated reflective glass to keep the bungalow cool in Summer and warm in Winter?

Also, would *triple* glazing with optimum gaps between panes help more with sound-proofing?

Themis
03-11-2009, 22:36
Sounds nice ! How about some photos, Brian ? ;)

The Grand Wazoo
04-11-2009, 00:08
You've got sun in between your heavy showers & we've got rain between ours!

Covenant
04-11-2009, 08:15
A nice project would be to make the place more energy efficient. The solar reflective glass is a good idea. I suppose you already have solar water heating.
How about reducing energy demand with photo-voltaic cells?
(Maybe energy is cheap in Cyprus and you should ignore this!).

Labarum
04-11-2009, 17:39
Ah, how much to put into this old house is a big question. If we sold I am convinced it would be bought by a developer and demolished for a block of flats. What we spend will just be to make ourselves comfortable for a few years. It will not add to the value, which is in the land.

So also with energy issues. Yes, we have a solar panels for hot water but no insulation between the ceilings and the Roman tiles - and being a bungalow the area is great. In the hot months the aircon is NOT energy kind! As I said we have a three phase supply in the house and five aircon units, two brans new and as efficient as they get - three 20 years old and clank! Cooking? Calor Gas. Sewage? Septic tank! We do have our own well - brackish water but keeps the citrus trees green and fruiting. Some will be ready to pick very soon - and orange straight off the three is . . . better than the Caiman!

Pictures Themis? Maybe. At the moment its looks like a ramshackle ruin with a lot of character.

And Themis, you must be Greek. Did I once see a picture of a Squeezebox you own showing the Greek letter?

One of my wife's cousins is called Themis.