View Full Version : R.I.P George Martin

The Black Adder
09-03-2016, 09:10
Very sad news this morning... George Martin has passed away.

What an amazing guy he was. Even though he had been retired for quite some time he will be sadly missed.

R.I.P George.

hifi_dave
09-03-2016, 10:08
God bless the 5th Beatle.

Barry
09-03-2016, 16:24
Many thanks for your contribution to the music industry.

RIP George

The Deacon
11-03-2016, 14:42
I am not a Beatle-ophyle so I don't know where to go to look into any of this....but, one is lead to wonder how much really did Martin change the direction of their music towards pop-psychedelic?

Are there quotes where he is shown to actually effect their COMPOSITION? (Sure enough he brought in all the "psychedelic" sound effects, but this alone does not make for psych.)

Besides echo,multitracking, panning and seque, what physically attempts to replicate a trip is unusual composition - especially composition which attempts disorientation: unexpected chord changes, countermelodies, strange (unfamiliar) scales.

To me Beatles were obviously at their most psychedelic with the Harrison compositions: things like "Only A Northern Song" and "Blue Jay Way". So my question is: are those compositions TRULY down to Harrison and not "nudged"/tweaked here and there by Martin's keen senses?

Anyways, I am now going to play George Martin Orchestra lp, "Help". (His second lp of instrumental Beatles covers).

I wish I could find a copy of the '65 lp, "London by George". But Martin lps are terribly difficult to find in the wild hereabouts.
This lp is a good one because all the covers (besides schlock like "Alfie", "To Sir With Love" and the dreaded "Winchester Cathedral") are strong ones (like ,Whiter Shade of Pale, I am the Walrus, Hole in my Shoe, Itchicoo Park)
The lp , which has a "Carnaby" girl on the cover cradle-ing a sitar, also goes by the title of "British Maid".

Oh yeah - also contains his own composition (and possibly my favorite instrumental of all time), the regal , "Theme One" (which appeared on the Canadian (but not orig. UK) press of Van Der Graff Generator "Pawn Hearts".

Barry
11-03-2016, 23:32
It wasn't just the 'psychedelic' effects that Martin was responsible for; he influenced the Beatles through his classical background. For example he would suggest the use of a string quartet here or the use of an oboe there; classical ideas unknown to the Beatles post Hamburg. He also encouraged the Beatles to try out new ideas, and to see if they could work within the studio - to let the studio become another instrument available for use.

Obviously Martin had no input to the song writing, but he did have enormous influence on the musical arrangement. Martin was very modest and certainly didn't boast - it was the Beatles themselves that publicly acknowledged Martin's influence on them.

The honorary title of 'the fifth Beatle' was apposite and well deserved in my opinion.

Barry

The Black Adder
12-03-2016, 18:35
+1

A great man... He did so much other stuff too from comedy, incidental music, classical and spoken word. Quite astonishing.

Very interesting, Ivor... I need to keep an eye out for that. :) Thanks :)