PDA

View Full Version : NEBO Blog

Floyddroid
06-03-2016, 12:50
Having read comments made on a major audio forum i was inspired to write a short blog via my website. Have a butchers if you are interested or can be arsed...

http://theprogmeister.com/we-get-knocked-down-but-we-get-back-up-again/

Macca
06-03-2016, 15:21
Good piece that, Steve. There's always a few who have to hate anytime anyone does anything. If it were left to them we'd all still be sat in caves chucking rocks across the way at each other. They're of no consequence.

Floyddroid
06-03-2016, 16:18
Good piece that, Steve. There's always a few who have to hate anytime anyone does anything. If it were left to them we'd all still be sat in caves chucking rocks across the way at each other. They're of no consequence.

Cheers Martin. Btw how did you get on with your speakers?

brian2957
06-03-2016, 16:31
Well said Steve , an interesting and enjoyable read :)

Did you ever get another set of speakers BTW ?

Floyddroid
06-03-2016, 16:39
Well said Steve , an interesting and enjoyable read :)

Did you ever get another set of speakers BTW ?

Not yet Brian.

brian2957
06-03-2016, 16:42
Anything on the agenda ?

Macca
06-03-2016, 18:34
Cheers Martin. Btw how did you get on with your speakers?

No progress yet, Might see if I can bring the Akai SW175 to NEBO now the terminals are fixed, though.

Floyddroid
06-03-2016, 19:20
Anything on the agenda ?

Wouldn't mind a pair of imf tls80's Brian.

brian2957
06-03-2016, 21:27
Mmm ! I see you've gone for another '' hard to find '' option then mate :)

Gazjam
07-03-2016, 09:59
Wouldn't mind a pair of imf tls80's Brian.

Nice speakers... very "propa".
On a similar tip Steve, what about a big set of Tannoys?

YNWaN
07-03-2016, 10:23
Good for organ music but not exactly the last word in bass timing....

Arkless Electronics
07-03-2016, 11:56
Good for organ music but not exactly the last word in bass timing....

I'd pretty much agree with that.... In fact IMHO not exactly the last word in any area..

How about KEF Reference 4's? A stonking speaker one rarely hears anything about.... bigger than TLS80 though (height wise). If I had the space they would be high on my own list!

Good write up in the blog Steve :)

Macca
07-03-2016, 12:05
Bass timing on IMFs is not as bad as you might think. Granted it is not class leading but it is not so bad it's a deal-breaker.

Arkless Electronics
07-03-2016, 12:28
I've just been unimpressed with all IMF speakers I've heard.... extended deep bass yes but every other parameter I would mark as average or average-
YMMV

Macca
07-03-2016, 12:46
Final verdict on mine will have to wait until I've re-capped them, but as is the bass is a lot less ponderous than I had been led to believe by what I have read. I suppose it will depend on the room and their position in the room. Give them plenty of space fore and aft and it is not an issue.

DSJR
07-03-2016, 14:37
I've just been unimpressed with all IMF speakers I've heard.... extended deep bass yes but every other parameter I would mark as average or average-
YMMV

You needed to be there Jez, with a Crown IC-150/D-150 amp, master grade source (CD these days) and some big IMF's doing full justice to the Hendon Brass band playing 'Stars And Stripes Forever.' Nothing 'ordinary' about that sound I can assure you and incredibly realistic, but you have to accept that most domestic grade amps just won't be able to control the bass properly. A few years later when we had our Linn and Naim 'chips' inserted where the sun don't shine, the last few of the IMF Pro Monitor 3 Improved came our way to sell through and they sounded exactly as you describe with a vinyl source - bloated, boomy with pressure waves in your ears and 'meh' laid back mids. Knowing what I know now, it was the fruitbox source and bolt-up Naim amp just not matching the speaker requirements.

TSL50's were the dinky ones and were probably the easiest to drive I think. The plastic surround mid driver in macca's pair is identical to the one in my old Compact mk1's and it's incredibly clear and even tempered.

Arkless Electronics
07-03-2016, 14:51
Those are crap amps. I have two DC300's myself so I know. And a mate of mine who had RSPM for years used a DC300 himself to drive them. Very tight bass (nothing to do with damping factor) but nothing else to commend those amps. We can at least agree on Linn and Naim amps.... I don't like either and in fact Linn amps have been some of the worst I have ever heard! Think of the worst case of "grey" , "leaden", "flat", "grainy" solid state sound and you have the early Linn amps....

Macca
07-03-2016, 15:08
I've got a Linn LK100 - it's a bit noisy compared to the XTZ (might need the caps doing) but otherwise it is competent.

Arkless Electronics
07-03-2016, 15:27
We'll have to agree to differ on that one... probably better than LK280 though! I've yet to hear a Linn amp I regard as even competent.

Macca
07-03-2016, 16:04
Your not the first double E I've heard say that.

Arkless Electronics
07-03-2016, 16:39
Your not the first double E I've heard say that.

I do like the build quality and production engineering of them but just never heard one that doesn't sound very "solid state".... in a pejorative way....

clarkey555
07-03-2016, 17:12
Nice write up Steve pretty much sums up the nebo ethos. I will see you there with that rather special deck.

YNWaN
07-03-2016, 23:20
I'd pretty much agree with that.... In fact IMHO not exactly the last word in any area..

I was going for a bit of great british understatement :).

Floyddroid
09-03-2016, 10:17
Just looking for a speaker with some serious low end grunt,depth and scale.

Firebottle
09-03-2016, 12:17
Have you considered hORNS http://gpoint-audio.com/our-collection/autotech/

I've heard the Mummy (not everybody's taste aesthetically) and the FP-15, seriously good performers.
I know of someone with the FP-10 but haven't yet heard them.

Home demos are available.

I have no connection with gpoint-audio.

:)

337alant
16-03-2016, 16:21
Good write up Steve and I agree with everything you say ;)
On the speaker front have you had a listen to any of the PMC speakers ? Id like to hear the MB2 se
https://pmc-speakers.com/products/consumer/se-series
I was thinking about building my own speaker and if I did it would be the same Volt woofers Volt mid or ATC mid and scanspeak tweeters which is basically what PMC use, or used to maybe the make their own drivers now?
You have a decent sized room so maybe some Tanoy DC8 or DC10T, B&W 801s

Alan

Floyddroid
16-03-2016, 17:33
Good write up Steve and I agree with everything you say ;)
On the speaker front have you had a listen to any of the PMC speakers ? Id like to hear the MB2 se
https://pmc-speakers.com/products/consumer/se-series
I was thinking about building my own speaker and if I did it would be the same Volt woofers Volt mid or ATC mid and scanspeak tweeters which is basically what PMC use, or used to maybe the make their own drivers now?
You have a decent sized room so maybe some Tanoy DC8 or DC10T, B&W 801s

Alan

Nice like Al. Eighteen and a half grand though, it's a lot of dosh.

Gazjam
16-03-2016, 18:52
Isn't Toppsy bringing the Mk2 Eddingdales?

337alant
17-03-2016, 02:49
Nice like Al. Eighteen and a half grand though, it's a lot of dosh.
Eek is that how much they are :eek: looks like Ill have to make my own then :D
The TANNOY DC10T go for arround "£1500 which is good value b realy

Alan

ScottL
28-03-2016, 16:47
Yup. We're happy with them.