PDA

View Full Version : New to higher end audio ownership, but...

Bobtronix
28-02-2016, 20:00
I've been a fan of better than big box store audio since 1979 when I cashed in my dishwashers paycheck for a pair of Ohm C2's and a 40 watt per channel Pioneer receiver. This year I stepped up and bought a used pair of B&W 804 Diamonds, an Oppo 103-D and two used Rotel amps; a 2x130W and a 5x200W. I still need to upgrade my surrounds, which are Cambridge Soundworks best at the time Newton series. I'm actually using the Cambridge Soundworks T-500 towers as rear channel surrounds.
They each have 300W 10" subs with 12" passive radiators built in, so the get the sub output from the Oppo and work pretty well. The proper B&W center channel is as expensive as either of the 804 mains. Does anyone know of a less expensive center that would be a good fit for less money?

Macca
28-02-2016, 21:35
Welcome Bob

1979 was a very good year. Your system sounds - ambitious ;) - please feel free to post some pictures of it in the Gallery section so we can get an idea.

My advice on centre speakers is don't bother. Dial it out on your amp - sounds better and saves a fortune :)

Bobtronix
29-02-2016, 04:01
The center is mainly for movie dialog in 5.1 or 7.1. I don't know how to dial it out on my amp. The few SACD disks I have in 5.1 are encoded for a center. How do I preserve that data stream?

Macca
29-02-2016, 08:30
You will have a setting on the amp for Centre Speaker that gives options as yes or no. Just select no. This will route the centre channel information to the front left and right speakers. You won't lose any part of the sound. Personally I've found this makes dialogue clearer than if using a centre - a budget one anyway. After all your front speakers have no trouble creating a believable stereo image and clear vocals when playing music, why would they need the help of an additional speaker when it is a soundtrack instead?

walpurgis
29-02-2016, 10:02
Hello Bob. Welcome to AOS.

Tell us what music you listen to and about any future plans you may have for your system.

I agree with Martin about centre speakers. They just cloud the imaging from the system.

I'm sure you'll find plenty to interest you here.

Enjoy the forum,
Geoff.

Floyddroid
29-02-2016, 22:27
Welcome Bob. Interesting stuff.

Bobtronix
01-03-2016, 02:51
Excellent suggestion. The method for removing the center channel from my mix is available through my Oppo 103-D disk player, which is also serving as my preamp/processor/DAC at present. My two Rotel amps are just big dumb blocks of power with no controls except an on/off button. The 5x200W is a horror at 70 lbs, and even the 2x130W weighs about 30 lbs.
I agree that the two mains can take on the work of the center channel, but I'm going to do a test on my setup by removing the, shall we say, "less than audiophile quality" $499 CSW center channel from between the $8000 B&W 804 Diamond mains and have a listen. The proper B&W center would cost me at least $3000 used.

Barry
06-03-2016, 22:55
Welcome to AoS Bob,

Enjoy the Forum

Barry