PDA

View Full Version : Highqual Knosti Clamps

Bigman80
25-02-2016, 22:26
Hi all

I recently got in touch with a guy called Mark @ Highqual. He modifies the original Knosti clamp.

I contacted him because my Knosti soaked a label on a rare LP which caused it to wrinkle and basically removed the value of the LP. I immediately scoured the net to see what I'd done wrong or whether this was a fault with my own unit. It seemed that it was almost unanimous that the clamp was a weak spot on it and basically to avoid buying one.

I found marks page through Google and contacted him. I sent my clamp to him and in exchange for £20 he improved the clamp. He gives the clamp a thinner profile and then adds a bit of metal to improve the thread strength and adds a rubbery seal. (Very basic description) lol

It took a couple of days to return which was great. On arrival mark had sent me a modified 45rpm adapter as I hadn't sent mine.

Apprehensively, I tried the first record in the solution with the modded clamp. Lindinsfarne - greatest hits (I have two copies)

I cleaned the record and .............success!!! A Dry as a bone label. I tried a few more (10/11) and every one is perfectly dry !

Confidence restored, I am now a cleaning machine all thanks to this one man operation

I highly recommend this upgrade to anyone with a Knosti disco antistat cleaner. It's worth every penny and Mark is a really good guy to deal with.

http://highqual.co.uk/

^^^^^^^^^^his website

Bigman80
02-03-2016, 22:22
Just waiting for a batch of highqual record cleaning fluid.

I'll write up when I've tried it.

[emoji3]

Bigman80
03-03-2016, 18:15
Arrived today, now I just need some filthy crud covered LPs to try it on. Best get buying lol

Bigman80
03-03-2016, 18:16
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160303/4f3d04cc9715b3af76876a4a1e836615.jpg

Bigman80
04-03-2016, 16:25
I dug out my copy of "all things must pass" which is literally the worst sounding record I have. Crackles, popping and really diminished SQ etc but it was my dads so sentiment means it'll be with me forever.

I've set about cleaning it with HQ2 which claims to remove the crud

I let it soak for 5 mins per half and gave it 10 spins clockwise and 10 anti-clockwise. I'm waiting for it to dry then I'll do a HQ3 spin and see how it sounds.

Ps I'd never have washed it without the upgraded clamp as its too precious to me and I didn't want to risk damaging it.

Bigman80
04-03-2016, 17:28
being an impatient so and so i decided to give it a try after the HQ2 wash...........WOW!!!! its like a new record !!! i mean, sure the odd click from a scratch etc is there but so are all the instruments and vocals ! the difference is so radical i was left quite stunned.

I'll clean a few more and report the results but i can only imagine the results being better on a better condition vinyl.

well done mark !!! (highqual)

struth
04-03-2016, 17:32
good stuff. I use an old cd to cover the label when using my moth. it does make a difference, and allows you to be a bit more vigorous with out risking the label getting too wet. it does on rare occasions sneak under the edge though so I am going to try another adaptation.

daytona600
04-03-2016, 18:37
http://snvinyl.co.uk/WebRoot/Daily/Shops/eshop943300/5674/3EE0/D257/4967/A339/0A0C/05BE/94BE/10574363_800.jpg

New Antistat Generation II has a new seal/clamp & wind up handle for rotating the disc
!!! New !!! The included rubber seal in the seal cup prevents moistened Labels.

L'Art Du Son or disc doctor quickwash works well & better than the supplied knosti fluid
or use two " double bath method "
1st clean with fluid & 2nd rinse with distilled water

Bigman80
04-03-2016, 20:37
I've seen this and they aren't bad tbf but the build quality is no where near as good as the highqual. The highqual clamp is fully submersible. I haven't tried that yet but I will.

A moth or similar is way out of the budget but definitely a goal so until then I am pleased with the results I now get.

The antistat mixture is decent too for an out of the box product.

The HQ fluid performance was superb on a record that sounded truly awful.

Nihil Sleighride
27-03-2016, 15:20
Oliver, grateful for you posting about Mark's clamps, I got one this week and they really are a bit of a no brainer. A well thought out design and good VFM

Oddball
27-03-2016, 15:50
Thanks for the tip Oli !!
I modifed my clamp somewhat , by putting 2 rubber patches ,made from inner tube , but even then it gets some liquid in on the label !!

The centre plastic screw is far too delicate to get any real pressure on ,and I have wanted to modify it myself ,but have never got around to it.

This might be the answer :)

ps , the Knosti is a beast for cleaning old crap filled lp's , I agree

Bigman80
27-03-2016, 23:04
It's a great upgrade and the new metal thread is ideal. I put some neoprene on mine first but it leaked. I've had 100% success with marks upgrade and I'd recommend it and him to anyone. His cleaning fluid does a Fantastic job too.

Bigman80
27-03-2016, 23:05
Oliver, grateful for you posting about Mark's clamps, I got one this week and they really are a bit of a no brainer. A well thought out design and good VFM

It's a great upgrade. The knosti is improved greatly for it [emoji106]