PDA

View Full Version : Connecting naim pre to non naim power

The Vinyl Adventure
30-10-2009, 20:51
I have possible plans for an upgrade to the power amp in my system.
I have decided to keep the naim nac 82, napsc, and hicap. So I just need a cable to connect from nac 82 to a pair of RCA ends. Does anyone know the wiering configeration to do this?
Ta

DSJR
30-10-2009, 21:16
Isn't it written on the label on the HiCap? It used to be a million years ago.

I'd also suggest that with a non Naim power amp, you can take the signal from the 82 itself I think.

Flashback sales should be able to sort you out with a good interconnect at a fair price and i think SoundStable on Ebay do one as well for less money, but still using good wiring and plugs.

If you wish to make your own, I'd suggest PM'ing HiFi dave if he doesn't pick up on this, as he's a Naim dealer and has some of the "dealer" manuals....

The Vinyl Adventure
30-10-2009, 21:25
yeah, the plan is to send the signal direct from the 82 like avondale les recomends with his amps

The Vinyl Adventure
30-10-2009, 21:29
p.s im trying to get a mark grant cable to do the job (recomendation)

DSJR
30-10-2009, 21:29
I liked the 82 a lot. More like a 52 than a 72/102 I found. What about one of Les's power supplies or getting the Hicap brough up to date.

The Vinyl Adventure
30-10-2009, 21:50
yeah, prob gonna get the 82 serviced and get a tpx or a dtc

REM
31-10-2009, 08:48
yeah, the plan is to send the signal direct from the 82 like avondale les recomends with his amps

Doesn't Les only recommend connecting the amps that way round with his own cables?

FWIW I still reckon it would be better to get that 82 serviced first, then take things from there:sofa:

The Vinyl Adventure
31-10-2009, 10:39
This cable situation is very confusing!

DSJR
31-10-2009, 13:41
I don't think the 82 will need much doing to it, despite the el cheapo caps Naim use... the "Hiccup" is a different matter and you'll get large benefits upgrading that or replacing it with a multi-cap or similar.....

DSJR
31-10-2009, 13:50
Try this - pic lifted from PFM

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q8/DSJR_photos/snapsconnections.jpg

If you squint a bit, it will give you the 4 pin connections to use.....

From rear of plug and dimple at the bottom starting on left and working clockwise, it seems that--

pin 1 - L+ (Chan 1)
pin 2 - carries the 24V (or not)
pin 3 - Screen
pin 4 - R+ (Chan 2)

Please not everyone, that naim's use of these plugs is totally different to Quad's use of the same for their old stuff.....

The Vinyl Adventure
31-10-2009, 14:43
and thats the same for both ends is it (stupid question???)

DSJR
31-10-2009, 15:02
Yep. Pin 1 to pin 1..

I know DIN plugs supposedly have advantages, but they don't half limit the wires you can use..

Van-Damme Pro Patch works well though IMO (I haven't tried the Canare that Mark Grant uses).

The Vinyl Adventure
31-10-2009, 15:26
just so im clear ... if i get a cable made to those specs and take it out the same hole that is currently in use in the back of the hicap it will work?

DSJR
31-10-2009, 17:05
http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q8/DSJR_photos/Naimpowerampconnections.jpg

Just follow the connection above (+ve on this pic is the 24V pin which you don't want to use) - the view is from the rear of the plug..... and connect to the unused 4 pin socket on the 82 alongside the Hicap 5 pin socket...

The Vinyl Adventure
31-10-2009, 17:43
Good stuff!!!
Cheers for that dave, sorry to be so sketchy but I'm sure you can imagine why I'd want to be so clear?!
Cheers again

The Vinyl Adventure
31-10-2009, 17:55
As a side note... Would it be easy enough to use my nap 180 in a different system then?

Daft int it.. I concidor my self quite good at hifi conections ... It part of my job at the shop! But despite ownership the one thing that has always baffled me is naim hifi .. How confusing does it need to be?!?! Even the bloody speaker terminals are the wrong way round!!!

trailer
31-10-2009, 18:12
I'm finding it hard to understand why you want to keep the 82 and the 180 but use them with other kit?

I'd get the 180 serviced first if it needs it then go from there.

The Vinyl Adventure
31-10-2009, 18:24
Chances are I'm goin to sell the 180 and use the 82 with a different power amp, I have a demo lined up. Nothing is set in stone at the moment (although I do think I'm on the right track) I'm just exploring my options at the mo really! I might also end up selling the 82 ... Who knows?? It's all part of the fun int it?!

The Vinyl Adventure
31-10-2009, 18:26
As a side note, I don't think servicing the 180 would be worth my while as I intend to upgrade it very soon whatever the outcome of the forthcoming demo

trailer
31-10-2009, 18:28
No that's fair play. Didn't want to sound as though I was being all "Naim fan boy"!!
Going off the trodden path and trying things out is often a pleasant surprise!

I would second asking Flashback for a cable if you decide to buy one. They will certainly point you in the right direction.

The Vinyl Adventure
31-10-2009, 18:34
I think this, as yet, untrodden path could provide very pleasnt suprises! At least that's the impression I am given from the people I have spoken to! Trying not to count my chickens though so as to go into it with a sencible head on my shoulders ...

I have dealt with flashback my self and also found them to be very good! I'm just going down this mark grant route purely on recomendation from the owner of the amp I am to demo ... Seemed the sencible thing to do??

The Vinyl Adventure
31-10-2009, 18:39
I'm thinking I could (if I can afford to) use the 180 with my beresford (if that's possible) on my office system
I could then at some point in the future get my self a nac 72 and then long term get a pair of 140's (to replace the 180) and have the mini naim system I have always wanted for the office :)

The Vinyl Adventure
31-10-2009, 20:11
..so... can i use the 180 with the beresford as the pre???

DSJR
31-10-2009, 20:16
Hamish, 140's may have the same basic circuit inside, but they really are crude, coarse cr@p of the finest order. Don't ask me why, but the very best of this circuit as made in Salisbury was always the 135's and Nait 1 & 2, the CB and Olive 250 need very careful setting up and the 180 is good when new, but I read elsewhere it goes off big time as it ages.....

The Vinyl Adventure
31-10-2009, 20:29
noted!
but what about my dream of a mini naim system :( :lolsign:
il still prob get one ..as mick points out on a regular basis.. its not likely to cost me anything! and it will at least satisfy a long standing desire! .. i did lust after a nait 2 for a while! it def can not be argued that as far as hifi goes they are pretty looking boxes

http://i728.photobucket.com/albums/ww282/hamish_gill/nait2.jpg

just incase anyone forgot what they look like :)

so what about my 180 with a non naim pre... anyone??

DSJR
31-10-2009, 22:48
Depends on the ultra-sonic output of the preamp stage...

I'm sure Stan would be open and honest about what his Caiman does. I'm sure it would be fine with interconnnects as short as reasonably possible. The naim amps have a usefully high input impedance I think.

P.S. Changing the amp-boards for NCC200's would be ideal, as these are potentially more stable.

The Vinyl Adventure
01-11-2009, 18:46
where is stan these days?

can anyone else ferther confirm or otherwise daves above comments?