PDA

View Full Version : The amplifier designer hall of fame (part #9) – Bob Stuart (again), Madrigal and ....

Neil McCauley
22-02-2016, 08:46
Go one, just one please

(Long pause) He and I were on a trip to the USA to help launch the Meridian Pro CD. The then head of Mark Levinson systems – ML having been ousted – was Mr. Sandy Berlin who talent-spotted Bob at the show. Mr. Berlin was not an easy man. Not easy at all. You gotta read the John Atkinson obituary in Stereophile to get just a glimpse. Anyway Berlin’s team of talented designers has a hitherto intractable mechanical hum problem with one of their monster mono power amps. No way, in their then current condition could these be sold into Europe. Anyway, we didn’t know this.

Berlin made Bob an offer than being reminiscent to me of that scene in The Godfather was one that he could not refuse. And so instead of going back home we got diverted to New Haven. Without any preamble we got bundled off the plane and straight to the production plant. I was just along for the ride. Fearing for my physical well-being I kept quite and observed.

You jest of course

Nope. I don’t. My safety. Well, I felt it under threat.

In our industry?

Yup, in our industry

Did Bob feel this?

My lips are sealed on that bit. You ask him!

And what did you observe?

You gotta bear in mind that the Bob I knew back them was a bit of a showman. Not a show-off but a showman, a bit, when the time was right. Here’s what he did, and I love him today because of it. We were in the reception area and Berlin explained the problem. Talked to us like we were vaguely idiots.

So Bob, bless him, pulled out of his battered .....

Continues @ http://www.hifianswers.com/2016/02/the-amplifier-designer-hall-of-fame-part-9-neil-mccauley-in-conversation-with-howard-popeck/