PDA

View Full Version : Advice ,suggestions on a dac

Colin2040
21-02-2016, 17:17
New to the forum but have been looking back over earlier posts on the subject but wouldn't mind some input. I recently had a peachtree integrated which I used to run a Sonos through using the dac. I was pretty pleased with the results. Peachtree is gone so would like a dac which could take a feed from the Sonos and the MF CD player . I generally use coax connection as I always think it's a better sound however open to suggestions . Going forward if I would like to do something a bit more clever reference with my "streaming" using the Mac and my hifi . So possibles ... Peachtree dac it? Beresford? Cambridge ? Guide price circa £200 new or used.

Thanks

Colin

SLS
24-02-2016, 14:00
Alan Shaw signal tested a range of DACs for demo purposes in two Harbeth systems at Bristol this weekend. He chose the Asus Xonar U7. Costs £75 delivered.
I recall it tested a bit better than the Cambridge unit. (Further details on the Harbeth User Forum.)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/U7-Soundcard-Integrated-Headphone-Amplifier/dp/B00CP53ML2

icehockeyboy
02-03-2016, 12:52
Many members here use the Dac made by 'one of our own', Stan Beresford.

I've used his stuff since I found an earlier model sounded( to my ears) as good as one costing 10 times the price.

clarkey555
02-03-2016, 14:29
Stans bushmaster mk2 is an excellent dac.

rossman
02-03-2016, 15:44
Stans bushmaster mk2 is an excellent dac.

I agree, the Caiman mkii is even better but only has 1 coax input as well as USB and 2 optical.

The Night Watchman
04-03-2016, 21:58
Just received my Caiman 2 here in France,sounds heavenly between my macbook pro and Cyrus8 system!
Brilliant customer service from Stan!
You won't be disappointed I'm sure.