PDA

View Full Version : JBL LX 20 Speakers

dantheman91
17-02-2016, 20:53
Hello Guys & Girls

Just got a pair of these in i know their not the proper JBL heritage but worth a go for less then a £10 they work fine if not a bit bass happy :eek: i cannot find much on them on the web they are quite a weight and look very good. Whats the best amplifier to try them with out of the collection.

Any thoughts / ratings on these :)

walpurgis
17-02-2016, 21:39
I'd try those with the PMA-350SE first Dan. It's a pretty 'unbustable' amp and if anything funny is going on with the speakers, it's likely to survive. For safety's sake you could put a meter across the speaker terminals though, just to make sure a short circuit is not shown.

dantheman91
18-02-2016, 06:35
Cheers Geoff i may give them a try on this one...I've tested them on a cheap technics 501 mini system and they working fine.

For arguments sake how do you test speakers with a multi meter just wondering as something i will look into in the future... ?

walpurgis
18-02-2016, 11:00
For arguments sake how do you test speakers with a multi meter just wondering as something i will look into in the future... ?

That will depend upon the impedance rating. Just set the meter on a low resistance reading, say 0-20 ohms and measure across the terminals. For an 8 ohm speaker you may get something like 5 to 7 ohms reading, depending on crossover design and driver resistance. For lower or higher impedance speakers the reading will vary proportionally. The thing to avoid is a zero or close to zero resistance. That implies there's a problem which could endanger the amp.

A cheap £5 meter off eBay will give you basic resistance readings. Spend more and you can get an LCR type meter which is handy if you ever want to get into recapping, modifying or building speakers etc.