PDA

View Full Version : Hello . Quad 522 needs mates...

Pete17
17-02-2016, 09:08
I'd a specific set of questions, trawled the forums available and joined here. Forget why exactly, it was a few weeks back but I trust my gut.
I'm a student engineer and musician, readily seduced by beautiful equipment.
I've a Quad 522 that needs a purpose, I've had it serviced but never used it. I know they were built for the BBC but is this possibly a mono amplifier with two channels? Had considered a Quad 33 or 34 to go with it - anyone know if this is viable? The room's not huge- 6 x 5 x 3 metres but I may be tempted to get the speakers in the garden on a good day..!
All best

walpurgis
17-02-2016, 10:29
Hi Pete. Welcome to AOS.

Tell us a bit more about yourself. What music you listen to and what equipment you use in the rest of your system.

Visit either the Blank Canvas area or Past Masters and start a thread there with your amplifier questions. We have quite a few Quad buffs here and I'm sure you'll get some well informed opinions.

Enjoy the forum,
Geoff.

Barry
17-02-2016, 10:29
I'd a specific set of questions, trawled the forums available and joined here. Forget why exactly, it was a few weeks back but I trust my gut.
I'm a student engineer and musician, readily seduced by beautiful equipment.
I've a Quad 522 that needs a purpose, I've had it serviced but never used it. I know they were built for the BBC but is this possibly a mono amplifier with two channels? Had considered a Quad 33 or 34 to go with it - anyone know if this is viable? The room's not huge- 6 x 5 x 3 metres but I may be tempted to get the speakers in the garden on a good day..!
All best

Welcome to AoS Pete.

The Quad 522 is a variant of the Quad 520f two-channel power amplifier, customised to suit the requirements of the BBC. This customisation includes the use of XLR connectors, a truly balanced gain control and the ability to lift the 0V rail from the chassis earth. It offers 150w per channel for an input signal level of 0.775V. This is higher than the output voltage of either the Quad 33 or 34 preamplifier (0.5V), but the 522 has two gain controls (one for each channel), so you ought to be able to achieve full power capability through adjustment of the gain controls (which once set, can be locked in position).

What speakers do you plan to use with your Quad 522 and what will your source be? What are your tastes in music, and as a musician what instrument do you play?

Welcome again, enjoy the Forum

Barry

spendorman
17-02-2016, 11:46
Did I read somewhere that the Quad 34 output voltage can be adjusted by changing some internal resistors?

Of course, the Quad 44 has a selection of outputs, mine being an older version has three.

Pete17
19-02-2016, 16:19
Hello to all replies,
Thanks for the details, that's more than I knew about the amp already. I'm 'between equipment' at the moment-the amp's all I have but am also working on the house, there's no floor in the room where the music system will eventually live so I've plenty time to look at options between rewiring and fitting joists. I've owned Genelec 2029a with the bass unit in my time but not now..! Enjoyed a friend's Rogers LS7 I think they were, he was replacing systems for the BBC and part paid with a pair. So really I'm open to whatever's good quality and comes my way as was the case with the amp, can't afford to spec a system in particular but am enjoying the speculation. I listen to ( on a scratchy old 20 quid DAB radio) from Bach to Stockhausen and whoever's composer of the week on R3, enjoy Flamenco as I play the guitar. Like plenty of what R6 has to offer and Jazz from the 20's onwards although not 'Trad' so much.
Thanks for getting back,
Best regards,Pete

DSJR
19-02-2016, 17:21
My Krell offers a 1.3V input sensitivity and for a CD source, there's just enough gain for a passive preamp to be used. 775mV is perfect for a passive although you won't need one other than to switch inputs ime...

ALL of these amps will need a service, especially to supply caps - just in case they might be leaking now. dada Electronics have full refurb details and pics too, as the supply caps fitted were multi-prong as I recall and 'hang' from the circuit board.

A lovely series of amps and I really wish the 606 had looked a bit more like these. I know looks aren't supposed to have anything at all to do with sound, but a 606 breeze-block is hardly an attractive thing, whereas the 500 series amps look evil in the flesh, to me anyway...

Floyddroid
20-02-2016, 06:41
Welcome.