PDA

View Full Version : AT 95 or 120 ??

Oddball
16-02-2016, 14:39
Just wondered if there are any AT cart lovers out there that could help point me to the right path ???

I have an old Pioneer PL A-35 tt , that I use as my main vinyl player . Its not the best ,I know , quality wise and review but this one does what I want mostly , and after I exchanged the original Pioneer Cart and conical stylus for a AT 95 E that I had , it sounds even better . ( I have been itching to upgrade to a better TT ,but the silly prices tend to put me off.) Plus , I have a Rel Q50 sub , that Jac Hawk kindly gave me , the top man ,and that has added another dimension to my very limited knowledge and expeirience!! What a great fullness ,and with the treble turned up on the main speakers a tad , very satisfying!!
Playing that , with my Mission 752's through the old 50 watt /channel Hitachi amp , me being a bit of a tight fist and all :D
Would the AT 120Eb be a good upgrade with such a lower end system , or would I not really see much benefit ??:)

CageyH
16-02-2016, 14:42
You should consider the Shibata stylus upgrade for the AT95e.
It will probably be more of an upgrade for a similar cost.

struth
16-02-2016, 14:45
Just wondered if there are any AT cart lovers out there that could help point me to the right path ???

I have an old Pioneer PL A-35 tt , that I use as my main vinyl player . Its not the best ,I know , quality wise and review but this one does what I want mostly , and after I exchanged the original Pioneer Cart and conical stylus for a AT 95 E that I had , it sounds even better . ( I have been itching to upgrade to a better TT ,but the silly prices tend to put me off.) Plus , I have a Rel Q50 sub , that Jac Hawk kindly gave me , the top man ,and that has added another dimension to my very limited knowledge and expeirience!! What a great fullness ,and with the treble turned up on the main speakers a tad , very satisfying!!
Playing that , with my Mission 752's through the old 50 watt /channel Hitachi amp , me being a bit of a tight fist and all :D
Would the AT 120Eb be a good upgrade with such a lower end system , or would I not really see much benefit ??:)

typical farmer eh ;) yes, I have the shibata stylus for the at95 and its the dogs bollocks. not cheap but turns a decent cart into a very good one

Marco
16-02-2016, 15:32
Yo daftee-chops, why the fook is this thread in Abstract Chat? :doh: :mental:

;)

Marco.

struth
16-02-2016, 15:34
Yo daftee-chops, why the fook is this thread in Abstract Chat? :doh: :mental:

;)

Marco.

You scared him from putting it anywhere else:D

CageyH
16-02-2016, 16:29
http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?43284-FS-Audio-Technica-AT-440-MLa&p=730770#post730770 This is a good upgrade for the money.

Spectral Morn
16-02-2016, 16:41
moved :eyebrows:

Oddball
16-02-2016, 17:26
Ha , apologies Mr Dalek :)
I meant to put it in here , but I suppose every time I log in , its straight onto Three words daily !! Old habits :eyebrows:

Interesting , not really thought about the Shibata !

I have a couple of M75-6S Shures and had wondered about a Jico stylus for one of them , but dont want to be dissappointed , so The Shibata may be the way forward .

Kvaal
16-02-2016, 18:00
You can find a old Technics epc-270c and just listen...

Oddball
16-02-2016, 18:33
http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?43284-FS-Audio-Technica-AT-440-MLa&p=730770#post730770 This is a good upgrade for the money.
Thanks for the link .
I only just saw that and its gone :doh:

Spectral Morn
16-02-2016, 18:41
Ha , apologies Mr Dalek :)
I meant to put it in here , but I suppose every time I log in , its straight onto Three words daily !! Old habits :eyebrows:

Interesting , not really thought about the Shibata !

I have a couple of M75-6S Shures and had wondered about a Jico stylus for one of them , but dont want to be dissappointed , so The Shibata may be the way forward .

No worries :)

CageyH
16-02-2016, 18:49
There is a review of several cartridges including the AT95SA here - http://www.analogplanet.com/content/nine-cartridges-compared-reviewed-and-voting-results#epLUSPLWT8XKSApY.97