PDA

View Full Version : Ahoy from south

rikardo1979
16-02-2016, 15:54
Hi guys,

Just joined in today. have searched a red here for few days and decided it is a time to properly jump in.

I can not call myself an audiophile, that is for sure. I simply do not have funds for this toys ...
But I do like a good music, good quality equipment (in price range I can afford) and most important I love DIY. I gown up in grand fathers workshop. He was professional carpenter/joiner/furniture maker.
I have learned a lot from him and he was always a person who inspires me.

I have studied electro-mechanical engineering and I work as an maintenance engineer at the presence. We live down in lovely place called Poole,Dorset - if you have not been here that you have to come.

I have done many DIY projects in past, like speakers, Av cabinets, cables, etc...

Here is the setup I have at the moment

http://i.imgur.com/wpuTXb1.jpg

PANASONIC VIERA TX50AX802B - 50 inch 4K Ultra HD 3D LED Smart TV Freetime Freeview HD freesat HD
Sony BDP-S500 BD Player
Clearaudio Concept turntable + Clearaudio Nanophono pre-amp
DreamBox DM800HD se V2 - Linux satellite HD receiver
Pioneer SC-LX59 - 9.2 AV receiver
home made NAS server to store media (http://www.avsforum.com/content/type/61/id/30147/width/600/height/402)
all served through Raspberry Pi2 running XBian (Kodi distribution)

Speakers:

Front - RikaruS Mk 1 ( home made project ) (http://www.blu-ray.com/community/gallery.php?member=rikardo1979&folderid=4202)
Center - KEF Reference 100
Surround - RikaruS Surround Mk 1 ( home made project ) (http://www.blu-ray.com/community/gallery.php?member=rikardo1979&folderid=4079)
Subwoofer - Mirage BPS - 150i

More galleries of my DIY projects

AVS Forum (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/26-home-theater-computers/931459-show-your-htpc-setup-32.html#post22133139)
Blu-Ray Community (http://www.blu-ray.com/community/gallery.php?member=rikardo1979&folderid=4202)

So I hope I going to fit in between you guys :D

walpurgis
16-02-2016, 22:39
Hi Richard. Welcome to AOS.

Nice looking setup you have there. Tell us what music you listen to and what future plans you may have for your system if any.

DIY is popular here, so if you have anything on the go we'd like to hear about it. Our Drawing Board section is specifically for projects.

Enjoy the forum,
Geoff.

rikardo1979
17-02-2016, 06:57
Hi Richard. Welcome to AOS.

Nice looking setup you have there. Tell us what music you listen to and what future plans you may have for your system if any.

DIY is popular here, so if you have anything on the go we'd like to hear about it. Our Drawing Board section is specifically for projects.

Enjoy the forum,
Geoff.

Thank you

I have a plans to change the front speakers, very soon. Reason being that one of the drivers get damaged, surround just started to "disappear" :D
So is time to change after 11 years. For now I do not want to fix it, so we decided to buy something new.
Already started to looking for new pair. I was looking into Sonus Faber Venere 2.5. We did like the sound and design, everything was great.
So we have ordered pair. Received, unpacked and ...badly damaged cabinet :( so returned. Our dealer, great guy btw, reorder another pair, next day I picked up another one.
Get home, unpacked and ...same damage, exactly same problem...grr.
Seems to be a problem with shipping or Sonus have serious QA issues.

So my missus said that she doesn't want to hear about Sonus Faber anymore...

Now I am looking for alternative speakers in our budget which is £2000-3000 for pair.

I will go to listen to Martin Logan Electromotion ESL. Never heard electrostats, so very curious
Would like to try some more from list
Wilson Benesh Square Two, KEF R900, Tannoy Precision 6.4, B&W CM10 S2 or something in this range...
Will see

Also in near future we would like to buy new stereo amp. Something like Copland CTA 405, Sugden, or something in this range again

So these are the plans for now :D

walpurgis
17-02-2016, 10:24
Shame about the Sonus Fabers Richard. They do make nice sounding speakers.

Have you looked at the Spendor range. They are generally very sweet sounding and revealing. I've never heard a pair of Spendors I didn't like.

Copland and Sugden are decent amp choices. You could try to get a listen to Sugden amplifiers driving Spendor speakers. That should be a pleasant experience.

Ali Tait
17-02-2016, 10:44
Hi, welcome to the forum. At your budget I'd recommend having a listen to these if you can-

http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?41866-Norge-series-sneak-preview&highlight=norge

Both the designer and the builder post on this forum. These speakers equal or better most speakers available commercially at considerably more cost IMHO.

rikardo1979
17-02-2016, 12:03
Shame about the Sonus Fabers Richard. They do make nice sounding speakers.

Have you looked at the Spendor range. They are generally very sweet sounding and revealing. I've never heard a pair of Spendors I didn't like.

Copland and Sugden are decent amp choices. You could try to get a listen to Sugden amplifiers driving Spendor speakers. That should be a pleasant experience.
Thank you for suggestion. I am in contact with Sonus Faber now, and they replied that they going to investigate this with UK dealer and shipping carriers.
However this is not going to help me in this case...
Shame

Hi, welcome to the forum. At your budget I'd recommend having a listen to these if you can-

http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?41866-Norge-series-sneak-preview&highlight=norge

Both the designer and the builder post on this forum. These speakers equal or better most speakers available commercially at considerably more cost IMHO.

Thanks for suggestion. I was trying to look into this but not sure where to find some information about those speakers. Would you mind to point some directions please? Is it possible to find UK dealer where we can find these?

rikardo1979
17-02-2016, 13:59
and I forgot to mentioned my little "HiFi" project :D
Roberts 747 - DIY Raspberry Pi internet radio/streamer
(http://www.instructables.com/id/Roberts-747-DIY-Raspberry-Pi-internet-radiostreame/)
:D

http://cdn.instructables.com/FBD/S4K3/IFF8CL6B/FBDS4K3IFF8CL6B.LARGE.jpg

ScottL
18-02-2016, 11:53
Welcome to the forum :)

Regarding the Norge range, Colin Topps and I designed them, so we can answer any questions you may have -just give us a shout. Colin's email address on our site isn't currently working (software issue we're trying to fix), although my own is, but we're both on AoS and have our own sub-section of the commercial section of the forum.

Normally I'd post this in our section, but since you asked, I'll put it here, purely as a matter of providing information (hope that's OK Marco) -we don't do the 'hard sell' thing.

The floorstander referred to is called Asgard; they're custom-built to order, rather than sold through dealers (if they were sold through dealers with all their extra margins etc., the end user would be paying approximately double). However, you are always very welcome to audition them. System sensitivity is rated at a conservative 91dB 1m/2.83v; nominal frequency range is 32Hz - 40KHz. Drivers are from SB's Satori range -these were originally intended to be a personal / indulgent speaker for Colin, so we just went with what were the best performers of their type / for our purposes on the market. Crossover uses Mundorf components throughout, e.g. Evo Oil caps. Construction is a translaminate stack of CNC machined MDF, suitably braced, with solid wood trim and natural veneers given an oil-wax finish. The pair in the photographs have a leather covered front baffle, although alternatives can be done. As noted, if you have any questions -please don't hesitate to ask. We're enthusiasts first, like everyone else.

Best regards
Scott

rikardo1979
18-02-2016, 13:25
Welcome to the forum :)

Regarding the Norge range, Colin Topps and I designed them, so we can answer any questions you may have -just give us a shout. Colin's email address on our site isn't currently working (software issue we're trying to fix), although my own is, but we're both on AoS and have our own sub-section of the commercial section of the forum.

Normally I'd post this in our section, but since you asked, I'll put it here, purely as a matter of providing information (hope that's OK Marco) -we don't do the 'hard sell' thing.

The floorstander referred to is called Asgard; they're custom-built to order, rather than sold through dealers (if they were sold through dealers with all their extra margins etc., the end user would be paying approximately double). However, you are always very welcome to audition them. System sensitivity is rated at a conservative 91dB 1m/2.83v; nominal frequency range is 32Hz - 40KHz. Drivers are from SB's Satori range -these were originally intended to be a personal / indulgent speaker for Colin, so we just went with what were the best performers of their type / for our purposes on the market. Crossover uses Mundorf components throughout, e.g. Evo Oil caps. Construction is a translaminate stack of CNC machined MDF, suitably braced, with solid wood trim and natural veneers given an oil-wax finish. The pair in the photographs have a leather covered front baffle, although alternatives can be done. As noted, if you have any questions -please don't hesitate to ask. We're enthusiasts first, like everyone else.

Best regards
Scott

thanks for warming welcome message

And thanks for direction. I have checked your section, looks like great serious stuff guys. Impressed
However your are far up north, so no way for me to travel this distance from sunny Dorset :D
Its like 5+ hours in car and I simply do not have time for this. And as I am in need of new speakers I have to find someone local to supply something decent under £3k

Maybe, one day I going to find more time to travel and just listen to your beauties

ScottL
18-02-2016, 17:23
Not a problem, always good to see people joining audio forums. :)

Having made similar runs down to Portsmouth & Plymouth, I know the feeling. Definitely not fun. I know that Colin's had to dash down to Nottingham to see his mother today, so he hasn't been able to get on-line. However, I suspect we could work something out (as you've probably noticed, we're on the informal end of the scale. ;) ).

In any event, with my 'disinterested' hat on, whatever you decide to do I strongly recommend getting some thoughts / suggestions from everyone on the forum, above all with £3K to spend. Always good to get thoughts of owners etc.

rikardo1979
18-02-2016, 20:21
Not a problem, always good to see people joining audio forums. :)

Having made similar runs down to Portsmouth & Plymouth, I know the feeling. Definitely not fun. I know that Colin's had to dash down to Nottingham to see his mother today, so he hasn't been able to get on-line. However, I suspect we could work something out (as you've probably noticed, we're on the informal end of the scale. ;) ).

In any event, with my 'disinterested' hat on, whatever you decide to do I strongly recommend getting some thoughts / suggestions from everyone on the forum, above all with £3K to spend. Always good to get thoughts of owners etc.

Thank you so much for these words, appreciate.
As you said, and I fully agree that you are right to get as much as possible opinions where to spend such money.
But to be honest the selection is not as big as I thought.
We were sure that we go for Sonus Faber Venere 2.5 but unfortunate things with damaged pairs(2 deliveries!) as mentioned we started to look for something else.
But it seems to be pretty hard to find something what can really compare to them sonically and they are also a real beauties

We have listen to Martin Logan ElectroMotion ESL today. That was in tandem with Naim Unity2 which goes nicely together.
The sound was really good, precise and clean with nice dynamics and really fast cos of the electrostatic panels.

But somehow we like more presentation of Venere 2.5. Really nice warm presentation, maybe as it was fed from Copland CTA 405 valve amp. That was really really nice.

So, now I am not sure where to go from here ... thats why we start looking sideways.
I would like to try Spendor A6R or maybe even more expensive Spendor D7, and I talked to guys from Wilson Benesch too. There is Square Two which is just under £3000

But, honestly, I am lost here :) especially because the lack of free time. And as we have only one high end studio close to our home, which is Stoneaudio the selection is not big. Owner is a great guy, really helpful and we are in close contact but as you know he can not get everything in :)

And as our speakers are getting really bad now as I mentioned, we really need to find decent, good replacement which suits our taste. Speakers are not for couple months

rikardo1979
18-02-2016, 20:56
Anyone can really tell which to choose between Sonus Faber Venere 2.5 and Venere 3.0 ? Heard 2.5s but not 3.0s

rigger67
18-02-2016, 21:12
Hey

Have you considered these ?
http://www.hifihangar.co.uk/store/p19/Eminent_Technology_LFT8b_Floorstanding_Hybrid_Spea kers.html

http://www.hifihangar.co.uk/uploads/2/0/3/0/20309541/s347948583198647946_p19_i4_w533.jpeg
(the tall model on the right)

They're available through The Hi-Fi Hangar in Bordon, not far from Winchester/Petersfield, so about an hour from you.
I've been to the Hangar a couple of times for second-hand stuff and Steve and Sarah are brilliant - they care about hi-fi, but even more about music - holding regular "spin what you bring" evenings, among various other events.

Last time I went, Steve sat me down in their modern room and blew me away with a pair of those bad boys pictured above.
Seriously, aside from a reggae soundsystem I heard once in a club that used four coffin size sub units, they produce the most astonishing sound and the deepest bass imaginable: it hits you right in the solar plexus and I just couldn't stop grinning as I sat there listening ..

They're £2500, so bang in your price range.

They're just up the road so give them a go - I promise you won't be disappointed !

rigger67
18-02-2016, 21:14
Oh, and the speakers are a hybrid, kinda like an electrostatic attached to a subwoofer so you get the best of both worlds ..

DSJR
18-02-2016, 23:34
The Spendor D7's look better in the flesh than they do in pictures and fit into many rooms well. The slightly more forward presentation sort of modernises the Spendor 'sound.' I love the Harbeth SHL5+ as the sound is so clear and, well, seamless - you're just never aware of multiple drive units working. The latest version is tauter sounding than before and it's been a worldwide hit - a very superior speaker whatever technology or approach you favour. I've been goaded into mentioning NVA speakers. Very different thinking inside and out but it works, with a truly great sound nonetheless, although you'll have to find a friendly owner to hear a pair as dealers don't come into the business model.

Barry
19-02-2016, 00:33
The Spendor D7's look better in the flesh than they do in pictures and fit into many rooms well. The slightly more forward presentation sort of modernises the Spendor 'sound.' I love the Harbeth SHL5+ as the sound is so clear and, well, seamless - you're just never aware of multiple drive units working. The latest version is tauter sounding than before and it's been a worldwide hit - a very superior speaker whatever technology or approach you favour. I've been goaded into mentioning NVA speakers. Very different thinking inside and out but it works, with a truly great sound nonetheless, although you'll have to find a friendly owner to hear a pair as dealers don't come into the business model.

Who has goaded you into mentioning NVA speakers Dave?

Marco
19-02-2016, 01:08
Indeed... If they come up, they come up, and can be discussed here freely by anyone who wishes to do so. However, no-one should be goading anyone into mentioning any specific speakers or anything else for that matter! :nono:

So fess up who's doing the goading, mate, as that's not on. It smacks of an agenda.

Marco.

rikardo1979
19-02-2016, 05:19
Hey

Have you considered these ?
http://www.hifihangar.co.uk/store/p19/Eminent_Technology_LFT8b_Floorstanding_Hybrid_Spea kers.html

http://www.hifihangar.co.uk/uploads/2/0/3/0/20309541/s347948583198647946_p19_i4_w533.jpeg
(the tall model on the right)

They're available through The Hi-Fi Hangar in Bordon, not far from Winchester/Petersfield, so about an hour from you.
I've been to the Hangar a couple of times for second-hand stuff and Steve and Sarah are brilliant - they care about hi-fi, but even more about music - holding regular "spin what you bring" evenings, among various other events.

Last time I went, Steve sat me down in their modern room and blew me away with a pair of those bad boys pictured above.
Seriously, aside from a reggae soundsystem I heard once in a club that used four coffin size sub units, they produce the most astonishing sound and the deepest bass imaginable: it hits you right in the solar plexus and I just couldn't stop grinning as I sat there listening ..

They're £2500, so bang in your price range.

They're just up the road so give them a go - I promise you won't be disappointed !

thanks for bringing this up. Never heard of them. But I can hear my missus when I show her this :) She said same about Martin Logan ElectroMotion ESL hybrids, .."they are ugly, real ugly bi....es" :D
She said that she would take it only if the sound going to be WOW.
So we listen to them yesterday, and she said, no. Still preferred sound of Venere 2.5 :guitar:

We may try these and see what happened. Trouble is the time and travelling due to my work. I can not get out earlier than 3pm from work and weekends are normally out of questions cos she is at work :D
Complicated, we are :doh::trust:

If we are lucky today and things go well this morning, I may be able to get to Winchester HiFi to listen to Wilson Benesch and maybe, just maybe there is going to be time to get to this HiFi Hangar place

rigger67
19-02-2016, 08:23
She said that she would take it only if the sound going to be WOW.

If that's the clincher she may well change her mind after hearing them.
The detail is incredible, while the extension blew me away.

They aren't that ugly in the flesh - if you're sat in between them when the music starts, you think they're the most beautiful things on earth :stalks:

DSJR
19-02-2016, 11:12
Who has goaded you into mentioning NVA speakers Dave?

It was Jammy on hfs! Not sure if he ever contributed here or is banned from joining in, but hey, light the touch paper and watch 'em squirm :lol:

I hate having to walk on eggshells in this and apologies for treading old ground here, but if an amp is needed as well, some Cubes/Cubix (including serious dedicated amps) is a perfectly serious alternative to some of the high profit dreck out there, even at this price. I have nothing at all to do with these other than hearing them on occasion, yet feel I can't really mention them because certain posters here will jump on my back, as has already happened in the past. I HAVE tried to recommend some decent, well designed and value-holding alternatives too, but I get the feeling these plain looking products are for music lovers not really into 'the gear' rather than gear freaks who use music as a tool to fuel the HiFi-hobby.

Marco
19-02-2016, 11:24
It was Jammy on hfs! Not sure if he ever contributed here or is banned from joining in, but hey, light the touch paper and watch 'em squirm :lol:

Lol... Ah, that rabid Dunce bum-licker, who knows less than nowt about hi-fi [does he *ever* disagree with his sociopath master?] The level of his unfailing obsequiousness is cringeworthy and utterly embarrassing!

Anyway, you know the rules about mentioning 'that place'! He's not banned, but being nothing but a cowardly long-distance keyboard warrior, doesn't have the balls to post his brainless shit here ;)

Moving on swiftly....

I've yet to hear a pair of NVA speakers I like (I've enjoyed the amps and cables), as sadly my only exposure to them, I think it was Cubes, was at (the first?) or certainly one of the first, Scalford shows, where they were being demonstrated in an all-NVA system, fronted by RD's Pioneer PL-71/SPU.

The room was dreadful, so probably accounted for the (to put it politely) crap sound, as I know from experience it wouldn't have been the T/T or amps, although underneath the rather raucous cacophony, I could hear a good sound trying hard to get out....

Marco.

rikardo1979
19-02-2016, 11:35

I hate having to walk on eggshells in this and apologies for treading old ground here, but if an amp is needed as well, some Cubes/Cubix (including serious dedicated amps) is a perfectly serious alternative to some of the high profit dreck out there, even at this price. I have nothing at all to do with these other than hearing them on occasion, yet feel I can't really mention them because certain posters here will jump on my back, as has already happened in the past. I HAVE tried to recommend some decent, well designed and value-holding alternatives too, but I get the feeling these plain looking products are for music lovers not really into 'the gear' rather than gear freaks who use music as a tool to fuel the HiFi-hobby.

thanksBut we are looking to get some floor standers

ScottL
19-02-2016, 12:44
Sonus Faber tend (tend) to pitch for a slightly declining response as frequency rises. Not invariable by any means, but that generally gives a slightly warmer balance. I'm amazed two sets arrived damaged though. Pity, they're nice speakers, and there aren't all that many around that price bracket that have a similar balance. Not with the same sort of aesthetics anyway. Opera (as in the Italian one) come to mind, but I don't know what their availability is like at present.

jollyfix
19-02-2016, 16:16
What about some Ushers?
Look online for stockists, i think Audiological stock usher. They are in Horsham, still around 2hr+ drive from Dorset.
http://www.audioemotion.co.uk/usher-dancer-mini-2-loudspeakers---pre-owned-8710-p.asp good deal here, Audio emotion are great to deal with.

Spectral Morn
19-02-2016, 16:20
Lol... Ah, that rabid Dunce bum-licker, who knows less than nowt about hi-fi [does he *ever* disagree with his sociopath master?] Anyway, you know the rules about mentioning 'that place'! He's not banned, but being nothing but a cowardly long-distance keyboard warrior, doesn't have the balls to post his brainless shit here ;)

Moving on swiftly....

I've yet to hear a pair of NVA speakers I like (I've enjoyed the amps and cables), as sadly my only exposure to them, I think it was Cubes, was at (the first?) or certainly one of the first, Scalford shows, where they were being demonstrated in an all-NVA system, fronted by RD's Pioneer PL-71/SPU.

The room was dreadful, so probably accounted for the (to put it politely) crap sound, as I know from experience it wouldn't have been the T/T or amps, although underneath the rather raucous cacophony, I could hear a good sound trying hard to get out....

Marco.

I was in NVA's room at the first Whitelbury show (maybe the second) and the room was very small, and very full of people but despite that from off axis it sounded ok to my ears. I went back a few times and could not get sitting down to listen so gave up. What I heard though was interesting.

Marco
19-02-2016, 16:49
Indeed. I too heard some promise, underneath that interminable din at Scalford. However, I wouldn't dream of commenting with authority on the efficacy of any NVA speakers without first listening to them in an environment where they were allowed to shine.

Clearly, in that respect, most rooms at hi-fi shows fail to deliver.

Marco.

rikardo1979
20-02-2016, 18:23
If that's the clincher she may well change her mind after hearing them.
The detail is incredible, while the extension blew me away.

They aren't that ugly in the flesh - if you're sat in between them when the music starts, you think they're the most beautiful things on earth :stalks:

I went there today on my own as my missus could cos the work.
To be honest, I did not like the sound. They sounded unbalanced, huge "fluffy" like bass, and they sounds unbalanced and incoherent to me. More like there was badly set home cinema subwoofer somewhere in the room.
Maybe due to the fact there is really thick carpet, heavy curtains and other stuff. Not sure but this is ee for me

But he played another weirdo :) And I liked that one. A bit unusual design again but those sounds really nice.And they are really nice looking

HECO Direkt (http://www.heco-audio.de/en/loudspeakers/by-application/floorstanding-speakers/heco-direkt)

http://snag.gy/DC3jn.jpg

Floyddroid
21-02-2016, 09:58
If Dave can get a pair of Cubix to me and shipping is paid for i would be happy to give them a better hearing at NEBO 7.
Indeed. I too heard some promise, underneath that interminable din at Scalford. However, I wouldn't dream of commenting with authority on the efficacy of any NVA speakers without first listening to them in an environment where they were allowed to shine.

Clearly, in that respect, most rooms at hi-fi shows fail to deliver.

Marco.

Marco
21-02-2016, 10:14
But he played another weirdo :) And I liked that one. A bit unusual design again but those sounds really nice.And they are really nice looking

HECO Direkt (http://www.heco-audio.de/en/loudspeakers/by-application/floorstanding-speakers/heco-direkt)

http://snag.gy/DC3jn.jpg

I just love the look of those speakers (they tick all the right boxes), and so suspect that they'd be right up my street! :)

Marco.

Marco
21-02-2016, 10:17
If Dave can get a pair of Cubix to me and shipping is paid for i would be happy to give them a better hearing at NEBO 7.

That would be great. I'd be happy to appraise them there, perhaps fronted by my Techy, and with some NVA amps? You'd need to get some tips though, on how best to set them up.

Marco.

rigger67
21-02-2016, 19:58
Brilliant !
I'm glad you got to go there - I've not heard those Hecos yet, but they do look cool :)

Funny thing, taste, isn't it ? I thought those hybrids were ace ! :o

rikardo1979
23-02-2016, 09:41
Brilliant !
I'm glad you got to go there - I've not heard those Hecos yet, but they do look cool :)

Funny thing, taste, isn't it ? I thought those hybrids were ace ! :o

yup, different people different taste ;) no worries, at least you have tried and I have listened to them

rikardo1979
27-02-2016, 06:15
What about some Ushers?
Look online for stockists, i think Audiological stock usher. They are in Horsham, still around 2hr+ drive from Dorset.
http://www.audioemotion.co.uk/usher-dancer-mini-2-loudspeakers---pre-owned-8710-p.asp good deal here, Audio emotion are great to deal with.

I may listen to Usher Diamond Dancer Mini-2 today if one of the dealer be able to do a late call setup :)
I have seen them yesterday and they are nice looking solid build speakers

http://snag.gy/uuqfW.jpg

Wondering how they going to sound. I red some reviews yesterday but there are not many out there

rikardo1979
12-03-2016, 15:17
that was a big disappointment those Usher speakers...horrible sound...
But I did find some nice little art Prestige 6 ... amazing sound from such little speaker. Really big sound and I was really surprised when we hear them in that place.

http://snag.gy/8dTfg.jpg

So decided to take it home for a test :) So have it home for a week or so. Will see how we going to like them...
But I waiting for Spendor D7 demo pair to be delivered to our local dealer and I cant wait to listen to them ...