PDA

View Full Version : The amplifier designer hall of fame (part #6) – Tim de Paravachini

Neil McCauley
16-02-2016, 14:52
Editor-in-chief Neil McCauley in conversation with Howard Popeck:

Only one of the designers we’ve discussed so far, and only superficially at that, were valve-men. Why is that?

Partly ‘cos I’m intolerant of the hassles associated with valves. Bear in mind I’m talking about this from a retail perspective. This is merely a comment ... not an observation about tubes vs ss designs. Anyway I’d entirely forgotten about Mr. Tim de Paravachini of EAR. A truly gifted designer and clearly an entrepreneur. A bit of an oversight on my part. I don’t know him personally. I know what I’ve read, what I’ve been told and what I’ve heard whispered. I’m not interested in any of that! His designs speak for themselves, to me at least.

Can you say more?

I didn't represent EAR; no idea why – too long ago now. Anyway, Subjective Audio – the company I founded – was a very successful ARC dealer in the 1980s but I never, and I emphasise the word never was able to demonstrate the alleged superiority of ARC to an EAR owner. Not when .....

Continues @ http://www.hifianswers.com/2016/02/the-amplifier-designer-hall-of-fame-part-6-neil-mccauley-in-conversation-with-howard-popeck/

Arkless Electronics
16-02-2016, 15:29
TdP's a top geezer! Nice bloke and eccentric as they come... deciding to demonstrate the dynamics of a real drum set he had in his listening room at 4am while his missus was asleep was amusing.... for a short while :D