PDA

View Full Version : Tonearms and headshells.

richard.a
15-02-2016, 18:27
Hi guys,
This is my first post and it is something that has been puzzling me for a long time.
It's concerning mainly the headshell, I have a turntable that has a headshell with a built in offset,it's the normal screw on 1/2 inch type that the majority of decks have.
Now my deck has a straight tonearm with the offset headshell on the end of it,now is there a reason that I can't change the headshell for a straight one as long as it's the same size as the original?
The turntable I'm referring to is the Pioneer PL-30, spares seem very hard to get for this particular model.
I would be very grateful for any advice on this subject which has been worrying me for ages.
Thanks in advance.

Barry
15-02-2016, 18:35
Sadly Richard, I think you are doing to have to track down a 'cranked' Pioneer headshell. If you use a 'straight' headshell you won't be able to achieve the correct stylus overhang.

DSJR
15-02-2016, 18:50
There was a fashion for this kind of slimline shell a number of years ago. I wonder if Sony or techie types might fit with the same overall geometry - sorry, I have no idea, so am just guessing...

Places in Europe may have something - I've used Mr Stylus a couple of times and there are dozens of others in and around the Euro zone..

richard.a
16-02-2016, 08:00
Thanks for your replies,the thing is this is virtually a brand new turntable!.
Think I'll stick to secondhand in the future.

Macca
16-02-2016, 08:57
Sell it and buy a proper turntable.

richard.a
16-02-2016, 11:18
Hi Martin,
I entirely agree,I've had many turntables in my time,SL-1200mk2 being my favourite closely followed by my Pro-Ject Debut Carbon.Last year I was unfortunate to suffer two strokes which actually makes tone arms difficult to cue when I'm having a bad day,that's the main reason why I wanted a automatic deck.
I made a mistake in buying new,I should have stuck to buying secondhand as I've always done in the past,I shall be selling the Pioneer on and perhaps looking at Dual automatic turntables as you can still buy them new from Germany,worth thinking about.

Macca
16-02-2016, 12:13
Good move. or you could consider a Technics Sl6, 7 9 or 10. Fully auto linear tracking, just open the lid, put the record on, close the lid and press play. I have an SL6 and it doesn't give much away to a stock SL1200. Cost about £70 from ebay. You can get fancy styli for them as well.

pure sound
16-02-2016, 12:16
I think it would be fun to try it with a straight headshell. Obviates the need for bias which some think would be a good thing. Bias compensation is only needed because headshells are angled to minimise tracking distortion when deployed using the traditional & accepted geometry.

http://www.stereotimes.com/post/viv-lab-rigid-tonearm/

On the other hand you may need the facility to move where the arm is mounted. You'll need to read around the subject to establish what the correct mounting distance would need to be for your particular arm.

richard.a
16-02-2016, 14:38
Good move. or you could consider a Technics Sl6, 7 9 or 10. Fully auto linear tracking, just open the lid, put the record on, close the lid and press play. I have an SL6 and it doesn't give much away to a stock SL1200. Cost about £70 from ebay. You can get fancy styli for them as well.

I know what you mean Martin,I've looked at the linear tracking turntables and I like the idea of just putting the disc in and shutting the lid,but as funny as it seems I love the look of turntables with their shiny tonearms and the strobe lights etc. I was a bit of a player in the 60s and I loved nothing better than to show off my magnificent Sony music center with it's Dolby n/r and all the other bells and whistles that were on it.
I've been a bit unlucky over the past year or so and I'm looking at brand new equipment, but I'm going to be a bit more thorough in my research from now on.

Thanks for your suggestions,much appreciated.

richard.a
16-02-2016, 15:03
I think it would be fun to try it with a straight headshell. Obviates the need for bias which some think would be a good thing. Bias compensation is only needed because headshells are angled to minimise tracking distortion when deployed using the traditional & accepted geometry.

http://www.stereotimes.com/post/viv-lab-rigid-tonearm/

On the other hand you may need the facility to move where the arm is mounted. You'll need to read around the subject to establish what the correct mounting distance would need to be for your particular arm.

Hi Guy,
Quite an interesting read,I'm going to do what Martin suggests and sell it as is,but thanks for your input.