PDA

View Full Version : The amplifier designer hall of fame (part #5) – Musical Fidelity

Neil McCauley
13-02-2016, 10:52
Editor McCauley in conversation with Howard Popeck:

Okay. Got it. But can we return to the mercurial Mr. Michaelson at some point today?

Possibly. Possibly not. Depends on what your questions are. Some matters are strictly off limits. He is though a bit of a hero for me frankly. (HP makes direct eye contact as if expecting a challenge to his statement)

I'm getting to think that in some respects, the title of this interview is a bit ironic.

How?

Well … The amplifier designer hall of fame. I'm thinking that hall of fame should be in quote marks and italics. Am I right?

In a way, yes.

Because ….. ?

As I alluded to earlier today, not everyone who claims to be a designer is necessarily a designer in the generally accepted sense of the word. What’s claimed, and what is the reality don’t always overlap.

So from your perspective, looking at Mr. Michaelson, what sort of hero is he to you?

Entrepreneurial hero – primarily.

More so than, say .... electronically?

Yes – but that’s based on impressions. I don’t have the ability to make a judgment re electronic prowess.

But many do!

Ah, the armchair generals; the online critics. Those that draw erroneous conclusions based on the public face, personality of the public face of the company. This failing is understandable, but neither rational nor objective.

Back to Mr. Michaelson re this?

No, I'm thinking here of Steve Jobs. Some might conclude, without delving deeper is that he is the designer of my new I-Phone 4. I very much doubt these days he fiddles about with components and soldering irons. He’s a concepualiser as I perceive it. Many but by no means all of the amp designer heroes ….. yes, I agree that heroes should be in italics and quote marks …. do not in many minds conform to the norm.

You resigned and yet you still it seems have a regard for him. Why?

Because .....

Continues @ http://www.hifianswers.com/2016/02/the-amplifier-designer-hall-of-fame-part-5-neil-mccauley-in-conversation-with-howard-popeck/

lurcher
13-02-2016, 13:48
Yes – but that’s based on impressions. I don’t have the ability to make a judgment re electronic prowess.

That would make the entire conversation a bit pointless dont you think?

Arkless Electronics
13-02-2016, 15:43
You are not the only one to resign Howard..... I had the misfortune to work for and with A.M for a couple of years and eventually had enough... you mention "abrasive" yes indeed.... to put it mildly!

Neil McCauley
14-02-2016, 16:55
That would make the entire conversation a bit pointless dont you think?

Apparently not.