PDA

View Full Version : How many copies ...

Stratmangler
13-02-2016, 09:35
... does a John Martyn fan need?
This looks very interesting https://thesoundofvinyl.com/*/Pre-Orders/Solid-Air/4ZB804D0000

surv1v0r
13-02-2016, 14:13
Solid Air is a great album, I have a copy of it on the original Vinyl and and also on CD but £25? Really?

Does half-speed mastering truly improve the listening experience that much?

ps - you can't have too much John Martyn ;)

struth
13-02-2016, 14:27
Ive a couple of half speeds..(makes a whole):eyebrows: if done rightcand with the right type of music that can benefit then it does wonders. Some ive heard sound just the same or worse. Abbey rd have a rep for good ones

Marco
13-02-2016, 15:37
Well, I'd buy that (even although I already have Solid Air on vinyl and CD, as it's one of my favourite albums of all time, by one of my favourite musicians! :cool:

Marco.

Stratmangler
14-02-2016, 13:08
Here's an interview with the audio engineer who did the half speed mastering for this album http://www.analogplanet.com/content/ume-abbey-road-12-speed-mastered-series-update-we-ask-tough-questions#yr6iZ2qQbVBRBw3B.97

Gazjam
10-03-2016, 02:49
Can still smell the hash off the cover of my first pressing. :) (not by me!)

daytona600
10-03-2016, 06:16
half speed mastered from a digital file l
Wrong way DDA
digital source , digital cutting delay pressed at the cheapest pressing plant
.What was the source for this record? this album was cut from a high-resolution digital transfer from the ¼” analogue masters.

Right Way AAA

GAIN 2 Ultra Analog™ is a proprietary cutting system built and designed by legendary design genius Tim De Paravicini, with consultation from one of MFSL’s founding fathers – Stan Ricker, an audio engineer responsible for many of MFSL’s most heralded past releases.

The GAIN 2 Ultra Analog™ system is comprised of a Studer™ tape machine with customized reproduction electronics* and handcrafted cutting amps that drive an Ortofon cutting head on a restored Neumann VMS-70 lathe. (*It is worth noting that independent studies have confirmed that the GAIN 2 Ultra Analog™ system can unveil sonic information all the way up to 122kHz!)

First and foremost, we only utilize first generation original master recordings as source material for our releases. We then play back master tapes at half speed enabling the GAIN 2 Ultra Analog™ system to fully extract the master’s sonic information. Our lacquers are then plated in a specialized process that protects transients in the musical signal.