PDA

View Full Version : How can it be justifiable?

Alex_UK
28-10-2009, 00:11
http://www.highendcable.co.uk/Nordost%20ODIN%20interconnect.htm

Well it is nearly November 5th - "light blue touch paper and retire" - please can someone justify £12,000 for a 1m interconnect? To a degree I could understand it if it was solid gold, in a platinum sheath - but it isn't - I suppose the "5 years of intensive research" have to be paid for, but seriously, how much difference would a mere mortal hear with these compared to some "half decent" cables (I decided to skip these and order the Mark Grant Canare cable at £20+postage - OK, so the Odin has free postage, but not enough of a saving to sway it for me! :) )

The Vinyl Adventure
28-10-2009, 00:24
those bits of wood are actually carved out of fosilised god balls... hense the name

Alex_UK
28-10-2009, 00:33
I knew you'd explain it Hamish, cheers mate! ;)

Puffin
28-10-2009, 07:11
"The crazy thing is, that even on a whole system costing less than a single pair of Odin interconnects the benefits are so stunningly obvious!"
Roy Gregory, Hi-Fi+ Issue 51

And then Roy Gregory went off to work for Nordost (allegedly)

Themis
28-10-2009, 08:38
Well, an interconnect which costs merely the price of 10 CDs is not that expensive, after all : http://community.whathifi.com/blogs/hifi/archive/2009/04/17/japan-the-world-s-most-expensive-cd-process-and-the-world-s-priciest-cd-packaging.aspx

Tony Moore
28-10-2009, 08:51
That's _got_ to be a joke? Right? :laugh:

Marco
28-10-2009, 08:53
those bits of wood are actually carved out of fosilised god balls... hense the name

And they've been blessed by Shippy with virgin's muffin oil.

Marco.

Alex_UK
28-10-2009, 08:59
That's _got_ to be a joke? Right? :laugh:

It was written in April, but not the 1st... I would be inclined to believe it of the Japanese - but let's not go there again, (Mr Ma)!

NRG
28-10-2009, 09:00
All that effort and its still only 16bit/44.1 :doh: Like the first comment in the article....why not just download and save on all the faff and expense! :lolsign:

DSJR
28-10-2009, 09:05
I have to keep reminding myself that there are people out there (I suspect in the far east mainly) that can easily afford such "luxuries." The thing is, there is a sort of snobbishness about the most outlandish of these products. Something one may have that mere mortals will never have. I heard a tale of a phono stage costing £12,500 that was in real terms no better than the Tron at a mere £2,500 (itself no mean performer). This latter has to be priced at £2500 to attract any attention at all apparently. Any cheaper and it would be ignored as a cheap, low budget item............

I'll stick to me Crofty/Crown setup with Beldens thank you :)

The Grand Wazoo
28-10-2009, 09:21
12k is a bit hard to justify isn't it?
5 years of research? what does that cost? - Depends who's doing the research & how they're doing it. Let's say the research cost a million (not a chance, but lets use a million for now).

They need to sell 83 stereo pairs to make that investment back. Since they (& spookily enough Mr Gregory) famously recommend a 'loom' approach, each buyer might need 3 pairs. So they need 27 victims to recoup the 1 million.

Parts - what can they come to? Not even 1% of the selling price, I shouldn't think.
Labour - I expect 1 person could knock up 83 pairs in a week.
Tooling - Whoever owns the tools, I expect they're already paid for.
Other overheads - a new product has to pay its share of these.

Chuck in a bit for marketing, but the product is already gaining currency by the fact that it's being discussed simply because of it's price.

So, let's imagine they need an extra 5 victims (£180,000) to cover these costs.
Everything else is profit.

Nice business model - if you can find enough victims.

Personally, I think it's immoral.

alb
28-10-2009, 09:36

Well anyone with that much money to spare, should perhaps consider finding a better use for it.

Marco
28-10-2009, 09:40
Just for a laugh, I'd love to hear my £20 Mark Grants against it, so why don't I phone up a Nordost dealer who has Odin in stock and arrange a demo?

An A/B/A demo with the MGs in the dealer's test system would be most interesting... ;)

I could then write-up my experiences here for your perusal. If it's a 'wonder cable', I'll tell it as it is - or if it's a simply another example of rip-off audiophile jewellery (more likely), then that's precisely what I'll report!

Should I go ahead and do it?

Marco.

Themis
28-10-2009, 09:57

What is probably even more immoral, is the incestuous relationship with some "specialized press", needed to get the "victims" into range... :eyebrows:

Joe
28-10-2009, 10:15
http://www.highendcable.co.uk/Nordost%20ODIN%20interconnect.htm

Well it is nearly November 5th - "light blue touch paper and retire" - please can someone justify £12,000 for a 1m interconnect? To a degree I could understand it if it was solid gold, in a platinum sheath - but it isn't - I suppose the "5 years of intensive research" have to be paid for, but seriously, how much difference would a mere mortal hear with these compared to some "half decent" cables (I decided to skip these and order the Mark Grant Canare cable at £20+postage - OK, so the Odin has free postage, but not enough of a saving to sway it for me! :) )

Be fair Alex. The Odin also comes with 'Free conditioning'.

RochaCullen
28-10-2009, 10:15
I'd love to hear how they compare with the Mark Grants!

Nathan

Alex_UK
28-10-2009, 10:25

I'm starting a new Cable company, anyone on here interested in buying cables more exclusive and expensive than you've ever dreamed, PM me!

Oh yeah, you're probably right - disregard the offer above! ;)

Surprising how many few pairs would need to be sold, though... I suspect there is an element of "willy waving" too - for people spending that much on a cable. Just hope they are equally generous with their philanthropy...

Alex_UK
28-10-2009, 10:30
I'd love to hear how they compare with the Mark Grants!

Nathan

Yeah, me too - the Odin needs to be at least 601 times better than the Mark Grant to achieve a better Sound Per Pound Value... I'm not taking bets! ;)

Joe
28-10-2009, 10:33
Not defending stratospheric cable prices in any way, but how does one estimate that sort of difference anyway? Is a £2000 amplifier ten times better than a £200 amplifier? Is a £20,000 amplifier 100 times better?

Themis
28-10-2009, 10:55
The function is quality=log10(price) :lol:

Alex_UK
28-10-2009, 10:56
Of course, I was being flippant - the law of diminishing returns is going to kick in very early on, even more so with cables, I suspect - at least speakers can get much bigger, amps more powerful - although I suppose the cables could be 3 miles long! :lol:

REM
28-10-2009, 11:18
It doesn't really matter if they never sell any of the mega foo stuff, it has already served its' purpose of raising the company profile. We might think it's all rubbish but to the average A/V punter-in-the-street it gives the salesman an angle to sell an 'upgrade' to something with the added glow of being made by the same guys that make 'the most expensive i/c's in the world'. These sales pitches do work, and that is why companies such as Nordost continue to make such daft stuff, as for RG the phrase nice work if you can get it springs to mind.

Marco
28-10-2009, 13:37
Yeah, me too - the Odin needs to be at least 601 times better than the Mark Grant to achieve a better Sound Per Pound Value... I'm not taking bets! ;)

LOL - indeed.

Well, based on what I've heard from Nordost interconnects so far (up to and including Valhalla), the Odin would have to do something rather different with a music signal for me to want to use it at ANY price! ;)

What I like about the Mark Grants in my system is that they simply 'get out of the way' of the music and impose very little sonic signature of their own, whereas all the Nordost cables I've heard so far (and I'm talking complete 'looms') have all exhibited a very defined (forward, etched) signature which to my ears is unwanted coloration not faithful to the source music signal.

They're fine for 'perking up' a sleepy-sounding system, but otherwise no. The Odin though may be different. I'll make a few phone calls and see if I can arrange a demo to compare them with my Mark Grants, so stay tuned folks!

Marco.

anthonyTD
28-10-2009, 14:33
LOL - indeed.

Well, based on what I've heard from Nordost interconnects so far (up to and including Valhalla), the Odin would have to do something rather different with a music signal for me to want to use it at ANY price! ;)

What I like about the Mark Grants in my system is that they simply 'get out of the way' of the music and impose very little sonic signature of their own, whereas all the Nordost cables I've heard so far (and I'm talking complete 'looms') have all exhibited a very defined (forward, etched) signature which to my ears is unwanted coloration not faithful to the source music signal.

They're fine for 'perking up' a sleepy-sounding system, but otherwise no. The Odin though may be different. I'll make a few phone calls and see if I can arrange a demo to compare them with my Mark Grants, so stay tuned folks!

Marco.

that will be very interesting!
PS, you have a PM.;)

Marco
28-10-2009, 14:40
Sho do yoo, daftee! :lolsign:

Marco.

Macca
28-10-2009, 20:37
It doesn't really matter if they never sell any of the mega foo stuff, it has already served its' purpose of raising the company profile. We might think it's all rubbish but to the average A/V punter-in-the-street it gives the salesman an angle to sell an 'upgrade' to something with the added glow of being made by the same guys that make 'the most expensive i/c's in the world'. These sales pitches do work, and that is why companies such as Nordost continue to make such daft stuff, as for RG the phrase nice work if you can get it springs to mind.

Spot on - that is exactly what they are doing - exactly what Volkswagen did with a certain 'super car' a couple of years back (Bugatti badge...)

Cotlake
28-10-2009, 20:47
A few years ago we compared some £16 I/C's I contructed using fine silver wire against a pair of commercial £550 jobbies. You guessed it, the cheap home brew was vrery significantly better. The whole cable thing is generally a con albeit there are a few makers out their who sell properly priced and honest products. I've vowed for years that I'll never ever again buy a commercially produced audio cable. I can make far better at a fraction of the price. The fine silver wire I/C's were a bit of a rage for a while but fell out of popularity owing to their delicate construction and tendancy to break with constant lead changing. They are still good stuff but not so user freindly. My main point is that mostly, the whole industry is a con in this area. Making your own is best and probably one of the simplest DIY options you could ever try. Most DIYers started in this area and if you do it, it gives you confidence to move onto greater things. Tweaking and experimenting is still relevant but at least you don't have to spend an arm and a leg to learn a thing or two about how to get the best out of your system.

DSJR
28-10-2009, 21:05
Buy cheap and sell dear, or whatever the punter will shell out for it....... Not nice for the likes of me, but business nonetheless.

DSJR
29-10-2009, 10:46
On a humble level, look at this...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/LINN-RCA-PHONO-BLACK-PLUGS-CONNECTORS_W0QQitemZ130338494922QQcmdZViewItemQQpt ZUK_Computing_CablesConnectors_RL?hash=item1e58c79 9ca

You can buy as good for a fiver or less from Neutrik...

...And here was me just reading the LP12 appreciation article by KK in 'Snooze this month, saying the Lp12 bare bones chassis in plinth should be around £800, where it's apparently a "bargain" at £1500...

Themis
29-10-2009, 11:02
You can buy as good for a fiver or less from Neutrik...

Yes, but it if you buy Neutrik, you won't have the cheapo plastic with white LINN letters on black and red background. :smoking:

DSJR
29-10-2009, 11:06
I can live with that :)

REM
29-10-2009, 12:41
...And here was me just reading the LP12 appreciation article by KK in 'Snooze this month, saying the Lp12 bare bones chassis in plinth should be around £800, where it's apparently a "bargain" at £1500...

That's a bit rich, an 'appreciation' by the Kesslerburger who has spent the best part of the last 3 decades slagging the poor old LP12...who actually pays this guy for his predictable (if it's made in Japan/USA/Italy then the more it costs the better it is) boorish (oy vay) or just plain stupid (if it was made in the 50's/60's it's way better than anything made today) drivel anyway?
Note to magazine editors, wonder why your circulations are in rapid decline, could have something to do with the quality of writing on offer from some of the self opinionated, so called industry experts who just churn out the same old twaddle, month in month out.
Roll on the revolution, fat boring old meshuggenahs first in line for the long drop:steam:

Rant over.

Barry
30-10-2009, 23:31
Yes, but it if you buy Neutrik, you won't have the cheapo plastic with white LINN letters on black and red background. :smoking:

That's why the Linn jobbies are six times the price of the Neutrik plugs. :mental:

Barry
30-10-2009, 23:35
That's a bit rich, an 'appreciation' by the Kesslerburger who has spent the best part of the last 3 decades slagging the poor old LP12...who actually pays this guy for his predictable (if it's made in Japan/USA/Italy then the more it costs the better it is) boorish (oy vay) or just plain stupid (if it was made in the 50's/60's it's way better than anything made today) drivel anyway?
Note to magazine editors, wonder why your circulations are in rapid decline, could have something to do with the quality of writing on offer from some of the self opinionated, so called industry experts who just churn out the same old twaddle, month in month out.
Roll on the revolution, fat boring old meshuggenahs first in line for the long drop:steam:

Rant over.

Applies to all the audio magazines, not just HFN. In my opinion HFW is just as bad! (wouldn't know about 'Choice as I never look at it).

Regards

Marco
31-10-2009, 05:50
You can tell David that tonight ;)

LOL!

Marco.

Macca
31-10-2009, 09:00
Applies to all the audio magazines, not just HFN. In my opinion HFW is just as bad! (wouldn't know about 'Choice as I never look at it).

Regards

That's a bit harsh - HFW went through a bad patch from about 1996-2001 then came back to its roots a bit more after David Price took over as editor - its always a good read and that is what I buy a magazine for. I wouldnt buy some £2K bit of kit solely on a reccomendation, even if I could afford to - and I can't!

What I hate is dull, 'by the numbers reviews'. At least Ken Kessler can write and make a piece interesting even if you don't agree with what he says. Given 2 pages to fill a lot of reviewers use a page to repeat what the manufacturer has written in their advertising copy, half a page on 'sound quality' (bass was good, treble was so-so etc) and the remainder explaining how their 'reference system' (normally kit you have never heard of that costs a bomb) is much better. Lazy writing and very dull to read.

Joe
31-10-2009, 09:16
The only time I tried to read HFW I fell asleep after a couple of pages. It may have been Noel Keywood's techy stuff that did for me.

Macca
31-10-2009, 09:20
The only time I tried to read HFW I fell asleep after a couple of pages. It may have been Noel Keywood's techy stuff that did for me.

Well for me NK is one of the few who can write a technical review and make it interesting for a non-techy like myself. I enjoy his 'speaker reviews too.

Primalsea
31-10-2009, 10:17
Back to Nordost.....

Has anyone over opened up something like a TV, DVD or other modern item and seen the ribbon connectors. They have a very thin conductor (paper thin) covered in what looks like a variant of FEP or similar.:scratch::scratch:

Amazingly similar to Nordost cables, not that I'm saying there's a link or anything.:)

DSJR
31-10-2009, 10:28
What do the studios who make/made wonderful recordings use? I bet most of them used ordinary but good basic quality mic cables.....

To be fair to KK this time, his appreciation of the Lp12 was very fair and showed no obvious bias that I could see (I know he had a personal "thing" against it when his dealership was refused the agency - or something like that IIRC), but he fairly discussed the Vilchur design for AR, then the TD150, which the original RD11 and then LP12 owe their existance to.

The final thing was the patents on the LP12 bearing. My TD125 uses two close tolerance (on mine) bronze bushings and a captive ball at the bottom of the spindle - single point in effect and the later Thorens bearings used a machined "ball point" as Linn do. How does this deal with Linn's patents?

Back to cables, it looks as if Nordost have a whole hierarchy of expensive cables. i wonder how long these people will be able to get away with it?

Ali Tait
31-10-2009, 10:53
Who's getting away with what? If people are foolish enough to pay those stratospheric prices,then that's their problem.In any case,I suspect most buyers are well-heeled folks who wish to willy-wave to their friends.You can't blame Nordost for selling cables at prices that people are willing to pay!

Themis
31-10-2009, 11:15
Who's getting away with what? If people are foolish enough to pay those stratospheric prices,then that's their problem.In any case,I suspect most buyers are well-heeled folks who wish to willy-wave to their friends.You can't blame Nordost for selling cables at prices that people are willing to pay!
The selling to people willing to pay is not questionable, but the "sound quality" "scientific" claims that accompany the selling process they are (questionable). ;)

REM
31-10-2009, 12:20
Has anyone else noticed that Nordost specify the 'propagation' characteristics of their cables as a % of the speed of light? How on earth would they measure that or is it a calculation based on the electrical properties of the wire?
Either way it seems a bit of a meaningless figure to me, published to give an impression of scientific validity to their products to mostly ignorant (ie non-scientific, like me) potential customers.
If it's a genuine measurement then fair enough but if, as I suspect, it's just more pseudo-science then surely it puts as many off as it impresses, which is a pity as some of their non-foo stuff (Flatline Gold speaker cable, f'rinstance) is quite good, IMHO.

Ali Tait
31-10-2009, 14:51
The speed of propogation of electrons in a conductor is a physical constant,in proportion to the resistance.Can't remember offhand the exact figure,but yes it it close to the speed of light.Just more marketing BS.

See this-

http://www.newton.dep.anl.gov/askasci/phy99/phy99092.htm

Ali Tait
31-10-2009, 14:53
The selling to people willing to pay is not questionable, but the "sound quality" "scientific" claims that accompany the selling process they are (questionable). ;)

Yes,I don't dispute that,but that covers 99.9% of the cable vendors out there.

Ali Tait
31-10-2009, 15:01
More elctron info-

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080501125102AA6vJuM

anthonyTD
31-10-2009, 19:31
The speed of propogation of electrons in a conductor is a physical constant,in proportion to the resistance.Can't remember offhand the exact figure,but yes it it close to the speed of light.Just more marketing BS.

See this-

http://www.newton.dep.anl.gov/askasci/phy99/phy99092.htm
Interesting stuff ! :)
A...

Kris
03-12-2009, 22:13
Please can someone justify £12,000 for a 1m interconnect?

No problem. It can be justified because it might sound worse.

I read an interesting review a few years ago about loudspeaker cables (I really can't remember where, I'm sorry). It was a totally objective measurement only review that compared cheap cables vs mega expensive wet string. The results were fascinating. A few of these mega expensive cables had atrociousness electrical properties which really would have altered the sound (for the worse) even in length of a few feet. Yet these expensive cables were very well thought of and recommended. How come?

Well what I think is happening is this. Say a £50K speaker is bright, has a metallic sheen. The last thing you want is a neutral sounding, electrically perfect measuring speaker cable. Pair it instead with a dull £5K cable and suddenly the speaker sounds wonderful. The £5K cable is obviously good value for money because it's had a noticeable improvement in the sound. You could say that the £5k cable sounded fantastic!

However, why is an expensive but excellently measuring cable better than a cheep but excellently measuring cable? Well maybe it isn't, but no-one will ever know because no-one will sit down to listen to a £50K speaker wired up with £100 of cable, let alone be brave enough to publish a review of it and say that the £100 cable sounded just as good if not better.

There is also another effect at work. One that can only be counteracted by double blind testing. Most people who audition equipment will know in advance the rough cost, and how it looks, and be taken in by that. Our brains will tell us that the more expensive and good looking one will generally sound better, even though it may not. (A cable in your favourite colour will always sound better than one in a colour you don't like, especially if it's visible from your listening seat,e.g. snaking across the carpet).

Also, no-one wants to look an idiot. Remember the Kings new suit? No-one in their right mind will ever announce to the world that a £100 speaker cable sounds better than a £5K one. Occasionally though you'll get someone brave enough to say 'well actually, I thought it sounded awful, but don't tell anyone I said that'. That's one thing I like about this forum. The people here aren't afraid to speak their minds.

One thing all this does show though is how important system synergy is. Just because some piece of wire or equipment measures perfectly, it doesn't mean it'll sound good in a given system. It also shows how important blind testing is as it'll negate any psychological effects of price or looks.

As for justifying the £12k cable, well a fool and his money are soon parted, so it makes sense to fleece him for as much as you can.

Haselsh1
03-12-2009, 22:19

LOL... I'm just picking myself up off the floor...!!!:laugh:

anthonyTD
03-12-2009, 22:22

I read an interesting review a few years ago about loudspeaker cables (I really can't remember where, I'm sorry). It was a totally objective measurement only review that compared cheap cables vs mega expensive wet string. The results were fascinating. A few of these mega expensive cables had atrociousness electrical properties which really would have altered the sound (for the worse) even in length of a few feet. Yet these expensive cables were very well thought of and recommended. How come?

Well what I think is happening is this. Say a £50K speaker is bright, has a metallic sheen. The last thing you want is a neutral sounding, electrically perfect measuring speaker cable. Pair it instead with a dull £5K cable and suddenly the speaker sounds wonderful. The £5K cable is obviously good value for money because it's had a noticeable improvement in the sound. You could say that the £5k cable sounded fantastic!

However, why is an expensive but excellently measuring cable better than a cheep but excellently measuring cable? Well maybe it isn't, but no-one will ever know because no-one will sit down to listen to a £50K speaker wired up with £100 of cable, let alone be brave enough to publish a review of it and say that the £100 cable sounded just as good if not better.

There is also another effect at work. One that can only be counteracted by double blind testing. Most people who audition equipment will know in advance the rough cost, and how it looks, and be taken in by that. Our brains will tell us that the more expensive and good looking one will generally sound better, even though it may not. (A cable in your favourite colour will always sound better than one in a colour you don't like, especially if it's visible from your listening seat,e.g. snaking across the carpet).

Also, no-one wants to look an idiot. Remember the Kings new suit? No-one in their right mind will ever announce to the world that a £100 speaker cable sounds better than a £5K one. Occasionally though you'll get someone brave enough to say 'well actually, I thought it sounded awful, but don't tell anyone I said that'. That's one thing I like about this forum. The people here aren't afraid to speak their minds.

One thing all this does show though is how important system synergy is. Just because some piece of wire or equipment measures perfectly, it doesn't mean it'll sound good in a given system. It also shows how important blind testing is as it'll negate any psychological effects of price or looks.

As for justifying the £12k cable, well a fool and his money are soon parted, so it makes sense to fleece him for as much as you can.

hi kris,
there's a lot of sense in what your saying.
well put.
A...

Themis
03-12-2009, 22:29

Very true. The only "real problem" imho, is that the only 100% counteracting method to the "expensive is better" nonsense is an "all-leveling" one... So, we end up all alone with our own consciousness. ;)

The Vinyl Adventure
03-12-2009, 23:29
Blimey kris, I can really see why you are drawn to this place!
A guy in the shop the other day asked me if we had anything other than qed (sencible chap) I said we didn't but he should give mark grants cable a go! He asked me how much it was and when I told him is was less ££ than the qed he said "oh I'm looking for something better than that" ... ... ... There was literally no telling him that it could be better! There's no helping some people!

StanleyB
04-12-2009, 07:58
It's a price thing Hamish. Having been in the manufacturing side of things, I am fully aware of the 1000% (Yes you read that right) type of mark up on some ready made cables from the time they leave the factory to the time they are sold over the counter.

Where the uninformed buyer gets caught out is that cables that are made to spec or assembled locally in the UK are far cheaper than if they were done in the Far East and then shipped to the UK. So a cable made by Mark Grant or MIke Homar would always cost less than if that same cable was made in the Far East and then shipped to the UK. And that's because the Far Eastern cable is subjected to various manufacturing, administration, duties and transport costs. That cost is only reduced if one orders 1000 pieces in one go. A typical imported cable is only 10% material cost. 90% is all added cost.

Haselsh1
04-12-2009, 09:16
Twelve thousand pounds for a few wires wrapped up in an insulator and terminated with RCA jacks... I feel a Peter Belt moment on the horizon.

Ali Tait
04-12-2009, 15:38
Oh no not again! :brickwall:

Dave Cawley
04-12-2009, 15:43
Stan, it's often more than 1000% Honest!

Dave