PDA

View Full Version : Hi from Muriwai, New Zealand.

Minimali5t
10-02-2016, 06:07
Hi everyone, this feels really weird as it is the first and only such forum that I belong to. So anyway, here goes...

My name is Simon and I live in the countryside of New Zealand (what am I saying! It's ALL countryside!). I have long wanted to visit Europe, and the British Isles & Ireland in particular. I am 51 and I have never really travelled; getting married at a young age and having eight children (yes, let me anticipate you: I live in NZ and there's nothing much else to do, at least not with your clothes on) precludes such activities, but I have always dreamed of visiting Blighty. Oh, how I have longed to go to Liverpool and get gobbed on by a Liverpool FC supporter! Terrific race the British, terrific...

Despite NZ being Rugby mad, I used to love watching 'The Big Match' with Brian Moore. It was like looking at UK culture backwards through a telescope; the close packed grounds, the chanting, even the seemingly eternal grey skies contributed to such an incredible atmosphere. And although many of you might say that NZ is beautiful, you have much in Europe that we do not. I think the thing that I would most like is the countryside, and how it reflects a (sadly disappearing) communion of the people with the landscape. The cities too, I consider more civilized than the car dominated and impersonal new world style prevalent down here (although Melbourne is pretty cool). I could go on, but I may lose you if I haven't already. Oh well, one day I'll get there.

I stumbled upon this forum and I think it may be the answer to my prayers. I get really confused so I've got loads of questions, but that can wait. Being a noobie to high end audio, my current system is a bit of an embarrassment. You have to start somewhere though:

Source - iPhone and Spotify premium
DAC - Arcam rPAC
Amplifier - Fatman iTube
Speakers - Tannoy Mercury V1
Subwoofer - REL Acoustics T/7i

I hope this wasn't a yawn fest. Happy trails, amigos.

walpurgis
10-02-2016, 10:39
Hello Simon. Welcome to AOS.

Nothing weird about joining a forum. You'll soon get comfortable with the idea. There's plenty going on here and I'm sure you'll find discussions you can join in with.

I doubt you'd find Britain that much of a change or culture shock, just more crowded and grubbier! :)

Tell us what music you like and what plans if any, you have for your Hi-Fi system.

Enjoy the forum,
Geoff.

struth
10-02-2016, 10:49
Welcome Simon. Hope you get involved and enjoy it ... I understand you strange feeling, i had that first time too...it initially seems a bit surreal ...lol.
Anyways if we can help im sure we will. Always fancied n zealand myself...funny old game saint;)

Barry
10-02-2016, 14:32
Welcome to AoS Simon,

Don't feel embarrased about your system, we're not judgemental here. Nor worry about asking questions - ask away, we have a lot of very knowledgable members here who I am sure will be able to help you.

Enjoy the Forum

Barry

archiesdad
10-02-2016, 21:15
Hey Simon, welcome to AoS, never been to NZ but the scenery I've seen on the telly makes it very attractive, anyway, enjoy the forum, most are a friendly helpful crowd.

Minimali5t
10-02-2016, 22:50
Thanks everyone,

Music? Just about everything except West Coast RnB, but since you ask, here is my top 5 or so:

Massive Attack - Blue Lines could be released tomorrow and it would still be a classic
Twilight Singers - Twilight is simply an ethereal album
Robbie Robertson - 'The Man' as far as I'm concerned
Underworld - no explanation necessary
The Chills - perfect NZ pop from my teen years
Beethoven, Bach, Mussorgsky, love those Teutons
Aaaaand...I love Dubstep: Buriel, EvenS, you know the sort of stuff.

Next step for my kit:

I was thinking of a good streamer, say the Oppo BDP 105D since it would kill the Blu-ray bird with the same stone.

However, this MQA thing is really exciting and I might wait a bit to see how it plays out with Tidal etc.

Very happy to hear your views and any music suggestions you may have. Thanks again.

struth
10-02-2016, 22:55
if its just audio streaming then the RPI is hard to beat, especially using ur own music. The cromecast is also a good streamer and cheap. Oppo's are superb but you are getting into serious cash

Minimali5t
11-02-2016, 00:43
RPI? Google says Raspberry Pi, is that correct?

Also wanted to ask about your mains regenerated and filtered. What do you use?

I have a solid state PROsine inverter. The guff says it produces a pure sine wave, but if it's just hundreds of very small steps, it's probably as noisy as buggery. Any thoughts?

Regards, Simon

Light Dependant Resistor
11-02-2016, 05:16
Hi Simon
A beautiful day in the North Island today, welcome to the forum.
I am in Masterton about 600km to the south of where you are.

You will find quite a few on the forum, call NZ home.:)

Cheers / Chris

Spectral Morn
11-02-2016, 12:54
Welcome to AoS :cool:

Minimali5t
11-02-2016, 23:43
And we're probably all related!

I will be moving to Otaki in a year or so, I just love the Tararua Ranges. I'm really looking forward to it, although Muriwai is quite nice too.

walpurgis
11-02-2016, 23:49
Hi Simon. Glad to see you're enjoying the forum. We like it to be a friendly and communicative place. Have fun! :)