PDA

View Full Version : Steaming Piles of Crap (In your opinion) - Albums you surprisingly hated?

Alex_UK
26-10-2009, 23:38
I'm sure this will have been done before, but I can't easily find a thread, so here goes...

Prompted by playing "Moloko - I Am Not a Doctor" - I've just lost an hour (63 minutes actually!) of my life to this CD of utter tripe - and I do like their first album (Do you Like My Tight Sweater) and their subsequent work, and Roisin Murphy's solo effort - so I'm really at a loss as to why I hate this CD so much, but I do!

Because I liked the first album, like a lot of artists, I bought this one blind - so, what albums have you bought expecting to like, only to find that you can't stand them?

Rare Bird
27-10-2009, 00:34
The ex wife used to persistently play Fleetwood Mac 'Roumers'..Anyhow to a long story short,Warner Brothers pressings make great frisby's

steveinspain
27-10-2009, 06:30
Van Morrisons Astral Weeks live.
Having grown up with the original vesrion, which is truly wonderful, I bought the live version knowing I shouldn't and struggled to listen to it all. It is such a shame when a pension fund needs boosting in this sort of way.

Spectral Morn
27-10-2009, 08:34
I'm sure this will have been done before, but I can't easily find a thread, so here goes...

Prompted by playing "Moloko - I Am Not a Doctor" - I've just lost an hour (63 minutes actually!) of my life to this CD of utter tripe - and I do like their first album (Do you Like My Tight Sweater) and their subsequent work, and Roisin Murphy's solo effort - so I'm really at a loss as to why I hate this CD so much, but I do!

Because I liked the first album, like a lot of artists, I bought this one blind - so, what albums have you bought expecting to like, only to find that you can't stand them?

I agree Alex, bought because Sing it Back is on it...what went wrong ? Avante Garde clap trap Moloko do Kraut Rock.

Journeys last three albums....get Steve Perry back and get a decent producer.

Anything by Squarepusher.

Regards D S D L

DSJR
27-10-2009, 09:09
I thought Andre was going to mention Kraftwerk's Computer World for a moment there :ner:

One that i haven't given any further time to was "After The gramme" by The Fall - being yelled at to pay my rates for five minutes kinda put me off.....

aquapiranha
27-10-2009, 12:27
I once bought on recommendation, this;

The Darling Buds (forget the name of the album)

Utter, utter tosh of the highest order! plus another one I was led to believe was worth my hard earned and turned out to be a load of sentimental tripe.

Katie Melua (who cares what the album was called) I normally enjoy female vocal stuff, indeed it makes up a very large preportion of my listening, but that Cd is dire.

steveinspain
27-10-2009, 13:55
I DID not buy these, but Kate, who has a music collection consisting of a David Soul LP, a lional ritchie lp (note lower case letters for this one),and a Wombles LP has also recently bought both the la roux cd and a mel c one. This is after 23 years together, and sadly, both my kids like one track off the la roux thing.
Maybe it is not surprising that I don't like these, but her entire collection is truly worthy of being made into its own steaming pile of poo..

Rare Bird
27-10-2009, 14:05
I thought Andre was going to mention Kraftwerk's Computer World for a moment there :ner:

Goes without saying

:sofa:

Beechwoods
27-10-2009, 16:53
'Loveless' by My Bloody Valentine. 'Ecstacy & Wine', 'Isn't Anything' and the early Creation singles were great, but 'Loveless' which the industry press took to their bosom as a seminal work of genius, just made me feel seasick, with a signature sound like a warped record (I had it on CD, so it wasn't, um, really a warped record ;)).

Oh, and I agree about the Moloko album. Stinking pile of pants. Eben the version of 'Sing It Back' was crap compared with the single!

DSJR
27-10-2009, 16:55
Anything by The Beautiful South..

Werner Berghofer
27-10-2009, 17:41
“Anywhere I Lay My Head” by Scarlett Johansson. This album is unmachted yet.

Themis
27-10-2009, 18:02
I love Jefferson Starship, when Dragon Fly came out, i'd never heard Airplane at all (back in 74-75). Since then, however hard I try, I can't get into Airplane at all... especially "After Bathing at Baxter's"....

I must be a real noob.

alb
27-10-2009, 18:07
Mercury Revs debut album - Yerself is steam.
Don't understand how all the accolades came about.

Whats wrong with Katie Melua? Better than all these screechy Xfactor types.

The Grand Wazoo
27-10-2009, 18:23
Anything by Fleetwood Mac that doesn't have Peter Green on it...........

Joe
27-10-2009, 19:39
'Kiln House' is OK

Anything by The Rolling Stones after Mick Taylor left.

Anything by Lou Reed after 'Berlin'.

Roxy Music went rapidly downhill after Eno left.

Marco
27-10-2009, 19:49
I thought Celine Dion's last album was particularly disappointing and not up to her usual standard.

I know that Joe was rather upset about this, too - in fact, quite perturbed.

Marco.

Joe
27-10-2009, 19:51
I thought Celine Dion's last album was particularly disappointing and not up to her usual standard.

Marco.

That's true. At first I was inclined to blame the speakers.

Joe
27-10-2009, 19:55
I love Jefferson Starship, when Dragon Fly came out, i'd never heard Airplane at all (back in 74-75). Since then, however hard I try, I can't get into Airplane at all... especially "After Bathing at Baxter's"....

I must be a real noob.

I'm the opposite. I like thatAirplane song 'White Rabbit', but never liked Starship at all. The mighty HMHB do a great skit on 'We Built This City on Rock n Roll', titled 'We Built This Village on a Trad. Arr. Tune'

Werner Berghofer
28-10-2009, 07:32
Joe,
Anything by The Rolling Stones after Mick Taylor left.
Roxy Music went rapidly downhill after Eno left.I agree one hundred percent!

REM
28-10-2009, 11:29

Marco.

Agreed, however more upsetting again is the standard of Englebert Humperdinks' work since 'Release Me'. Not just that but I must point out the general standard of presentation and packaging on his more recent perfumery and personal grooming products falls well short of the original range from the 80's, very disappointing indeed.

DanJennings
28-10-2009, 11:36
Coldplay.... nuff said
U2 - anything post 80s, and even some of the 80s
Green Day, anything after Warning
Offspring, everything after Ixnay On The Hombre
The Doors
The Division Bell
Metallica's Load and St Anger

tripe

Beechwoods
28-10-2009, 12:17
The Division Bell

I'd lost the will to live half-way through 'Signs Of Life' some 7 years earlier!

DanJennings
28-10-2009, 12:42
I'd lost the will to live half-way through 'Signs Of Life' some 7 years earlier!

I'll give you that, but it had some ok songs on it...
On The Turning Away was probably the best one...
still a pretty awful album, but the Division Bell out-pantses it at every level IMHO

Cotlake
28-10-2009, 20:57
I like Division Bell although a bit of a change from traditional PF.

I like early Kate Bush. I absolutely hate 'Aerial'. Thankfully I bought it on substandard vinyl so could justify the return and my money back.

Alex_UK
28-10-2009, 22:25
I absolutely hate 'Aerial'

Here, Here! (Washing (f**ing) Machine indeed!) duly indoctrinated as a pile of stinking poop! ;)

aquapiranha
28-10-2009, 22:34
Whats wrong with Katie Melua? Better than all these screechy Xfactor types.

Well it's nothing personal, and while I agree she is much more talented than those xfactor types, I still lump her together with the likes of james blunt / michael buble . I don't know why but I often see it as aimed at menopausal soap opera addicts who think it 'has a nice tone'..

Just my 2p

alb
28-10-2009, 22:43
Well it's nothing personal

Ha ha, non taken.

I'd concur with the James Blunt/Buble opinion though..

Alex_UK
28-10-2009, 23:30
James Blunt, what a .... nice bloke, apparently??? :lol:

Barry
28-10-2009, 23:39
Here, Here! (Washing (f**ing) Machine indeed!) duly indoctrinated as a pile of stinking poop! ;)

If you want an example of 'anal retention', I listened to 'Aerial' and to the track 'pi' in particular. Kate Bush makes a mistake in quoting pi. My saving grace is that I do not possess a copy and have forgotten, exactly where, she makes the mistake.

Maybe I have a life after all!

Regards

Alex_UK
28-10-2009, 23:48
If you want my copy Barry you're welcome to it - just PM me your address!

Barry
28-10-2009, 23:54
If you want my copy Barry you're welcome to it - just PM me your address!

Hi Alex,

Despite being a bit of a Kate Bush fan, I was disappointed with 'Aerial' and frankly do not really want a copy.

Thanks for the offer though - I appreciate the thought.

Regards

Alex_UK
28-10-2009, 23:58
That's how crap it is folks - you can't even give it away! :lol:

aquapiranha
28-10-2009, 23:59
That's how crap it is folks - you can't even give it away! :lol:

Errr. Errr....

I quite like it..

:confused:

Barry
29-10-2009, 00:03
Errr. Errr....

I quite like it..

:confused:

Suum quique!

DanJennings
29-10-2009, 10:57
If you want an example of 'anal retention', I listened to 'Aerial' and to the track 'pi' in particular. Kate Bush makes a mistake in quoting pi. My saving grace is that I do not possess a copy and have forgotten, exactly where, she makes the mistake.

Maybe I have a life after all!

Regards

according to wiki:
Bush sings the number to its 137th decimal place (though she omits, for an unknown reason, the 79th to 100th decimal places).

probably edited out a verse or something....

I actually quite like the album.

anyway, back on topic

Evanescence :steam:
Iron Maiden with Blaze Bayley

chris@panteg
30-10-2009, 01:46
Velvet Underground ' White Light White Heat

Now i really like the 1st album ' but this is just a drug induced load of bile .

Another stinker is pipes of peace ' by Macca ' again now Paul ' is one of my all time greats, but this ' oh dear oh dear :doh:.

Stratmangler
30-10-2009, 02:04
Another stinker is pipes of peace ' by Macca ' again now Paul ' is one of my all time greats, but this ' oh dear oh dear :doh:.

Come on Chris - McCartney has committed many crimes against music in his career - Dull of Kintyre (Sorry - Mull) anyone ? The Bullfrog Song ?

On the flipside of this criticism he wrote such genius songs as Yesterday, Penny Lane, Jet, Band On The Run......

Chris:)

Joe
30-10-2009, 10:06
Velvet Underground ' White Light White Heat

Now i really like the 1st album ' but this is just a drug induced load of bile .

Philistine! Wash your mouth out with soap and water!

REM
30-10-2009, 10:57
Come on Chris - McCartney has committed many crimes against music in his career - Dull of Kintyre (Sorry - Mull) anyone ? The Bullfrog Song ?

On the flipside of this criticism he wrote such genius songs as Yesterday, Penny Lane, Jet, Band On The Run......

Weird innit, the guy can be toe curling cringe worthy one minute then come up with a work of genius like Run Devil Run the next:confused:.

Jason P
03-11-2009, 19:07
Wild Animus - The Ram by Rich Shapiro.

I cannot possibly convey how toe-curlingly bad this album is. I was given it on the street one day whilst visiting friends in Leicester. Now, I've had promo copies before but this looked good - interesting sleeve, nicely printed in a proper case. Unfortunately that's as far as the praise can go.

The music (and I use that term loosely) within is so uttely deviod of merit, the lyrics so asinine and cliched that I couldn't quite believe it. My astonishment was raised further by the fact that there are some respectable session names playing on it.

Further trawling bought a wealth of information on the web. Turns out it's basically a vanity published piece (along with a book series) by Mr Shapiro, a silicon valley millionaire.

If someone stops you in the street to give you one, take it and listen. You will be amazed.

The strange thing is I can't throw mine away. I have to keep it as an example of utterly awful music.

Jason

steveinspain
03-11-2009, 20:25
If anyone who has Kate Bush's Aerial seriously wants to give it away, then I would be happy to give it a home, as I have never heard it...
A donation to a charity or whatever, and certainly postage would be covered..

chris@panteg
04-11-2009, 11:58
Philistine! Wash your mouth out with soap and water!

Aah ' Joe ' did not mean to offend ' you see i rate Lou Reed highly ' like i said the 1st album i enjoy listening to , but please explain how i can enjoy White light.

Do i need to drop some acid and sit back :smoking: is that it :confused:.

Yes i know Macca has done a few bummer's ' Pipes of peace is just 1 example.

Stratmangler
04-11-2009, 12:06
If anyone who has Kate Bush's Aerial seriously wants to give it away, then I would be happy to give it a home, as I have never heard it...
A donation to a charity or whatever, and certainly postage would be covered..

You can also find it on Spotify. I know your internet connection is a bit ropey Steve, but I'd give it a go.

PS I've got nothing to do with Spotify - I just use their service a lot and I like it, hence the numerous recommendations I've made for the service.

Joe
04-11-2009, 18:05
Aah ' Joe ' did not mean to offend ' you see i rate Lou Reed highly ' like i said the 1st album i enjoy listening to , but please explain how i can enjoy White light.

Do i need to drop some acid and sit back :smoking: is that it :confused:..

I'm not offended, it's not like I made the album is it?

I've loved White Light for 35 years or so, but if you don't like it, fair enough. Drugs might help, but I didn't need them!

chris@panteg
05-11-2009, 09:45
Joe i will have another listen ' as i have it on purple vinyl 140 gm repress special edition ,
Oh god another 17 mins of sister ray:mental:

electric beach
05-11-2009, 11:41
Mark Knopfler - Get Lucky

So bad that it has it's own thread! (well identified Dave K). I played this 3 times to be sure, but it is spectacular for it's total abscence of any musical merit. An ironic title if you paid money for it. The band sound about as interested as if they've just been told they won't be getting paid for the gig, then MK comes in with the vocals and the kiss of death is complete.

I did get some pleasure from this disc tho - driving through France, mid song, I just thought "enough!", wound down the window and spun the thing into a field. That felt good! :wanker:

steveinspain
05-11-2009, 12:02
You can also find it on Spotify. I know your internet connection is a bit ropey Steve, but I'd give it a go.

PS I've got nothing to do with Spotify - I just use their service a lot and I like it, hence the numerous recommendations I've made for the service.

Ha - a nice idea, but today my internet is working at between 6 and 20 Kb/sec - it'll take me a minute to send this...
The chances of listening to any more than one note every 2 minutes is slim, making music not likely..
One day I will get a decent connection - telefonica installed a new system for all or neighbours 2 summers ago, and claim to have fitted in our house too, but refuse to come round to repair/check it was actually installed (I was in hospital or recovering in England all that summer, with the family all with me. They still bill us, then refund the money each month. However, I did manage to speak to a lady who promised that a man would be coming round soon to talk about a new installation for us ( at a cost, of course..)
If he does come, we may end up with a phone and internet - look out spotify, as here I may be coming !!

DSJR
05-11-2009, 12:37
I'm playing the second album from the cash-cow that was "Sky.."

The original LP pressings weren't as good sounding as subsequent cuts (or the CD!) but this still doesn't make up for the often dire music on offer and the fact that a group of seriously talented musicians got together to create dross for the masses - even the well played traditional stuff is badly recorded IMO... The two saving graces are the diabolically funny drum solo on "Hotta" (what was Tristan Fry on that day?) and the track "Watching The Aeroplanes."

Stratmangler
08-11-2009, 21:54
Ha - a nice idea, but today my internet is working at between 6 and 20 Kb/sec - it'll take me a minute to send this...
The chances of listening to any more than one note every 2 minutes is slim, making music not likely..
One day I will get a decent connection - telefonica installed a new system for all or neighbours 2 summers ago, and claim to have fitted in our house too, but refuse to come round to repair/check it was actually installed (I was in hospital or recovering in England all that summer, with the family all with me. They still bill us, then refund the money each month. However, I did manage to speak to a lady who promised that a man would be coming round soon to talk about a new installation for us ( at a cost, of course..)
If he does come, we may end up with a phone and internet - look out spotify, as here I may be coming !!

Steve

I hope that they sort your connection soon - I feel positively well off with my sub 1.5 meg connection (my fault 'cos I live out in the sticks, apparently) - fact is I'm 3 miles from the exchange, and BT can't be arsed 'cos they don't do my DSL.....

Chris;)

Marco
08-11-2009, 22:04
I did get some pleasure from this disc tho - driving through France, mid song, I just thought "enough!", wound down the window and spun the thing into a field. That felt good!

Not for the environment, though, Steve... You could've at least left it at a bar as a beer mat! The French would've loved it to park their Pastis on ;)

Marco.

DanJennings
10-11-2009, 19:43
Bob Dylan's new christmas album 'Christmas In The Heart'
OH DEAR GOD

TheGreenManalishi
24-11-2009, 10:37
Jeez,

My taste's arent gonna be welcome here are they eg:-

Kate Bush's Aerial - Absolutely superb piece of work.
Pink Floyd's Division Bell - I enjoyed and still enjoy, High hopes being one of my fav 5 songs of all time.

Most dissapointing album - Paul Weller - Heavy Soul, Weller was at his absulte peak at the time, he had just done the south bank live thing so i was expecting something so good as to be almost heaven - it didnt happen - 2 tracks aside its shite.

How can you not like Aerial? tut tut.

TheGreenManalishi
24-11-2009, 10:46
awww - can i have another go!

The Red Shoes - Kate Bush, i loved The Sensual World, and i had an obsession with Kate to boot, so this record really gutted me.

Agreed - anything without Peter Green on it with FW is automatically MOR rubbish.

DanJennings
24-11-2009, 10:47
Agreed - anything without Peter Green on it with FW is automatically MOR rubbish.

Harsh! :lolsign:

St3v3
24-11-2009, 11:18
Nine Inch Nails - The Slip. I'm a huge fan of the band and, granted, it's free but it's more of the same... *sigh*

Themis
24-11-2009, 20:13
Nine Inch Nails - The Slip. I'm a huge fan of the band and, granted, it's free but it's more of the same... *sigh*
Agreed *sigh too*

Alex_UK
20-12-2009, 12:22
This will upset at least one person on hear (sorry Beechwoods!) - Boards of Canada - Geogaddi - tried it again today, (bought it went it came out around 2002 - probably played it twice?) and it literally hurts me to listen - the whole damn album (well as much as I can manage) is out of tune! Flat as a witches tit! I'm sure that's the point, but compared to Music has the Right to Children... well, you can't compare it, IMO... Maybe I need to try it with headphones or something, but I fear my brain might actually explode!

Haselsh1
20-12-2009, 13:16
'Can't Slow Down' by Lionel Richie. Vomit inducing romantic sh1te of the very highest order. Now any of you out there... tell me you like this...!!!

Themis
20-12-2009, 13:51
We're too old to like this anymore.... ;)

DanJennings
20-12-2009, 15:33
Metallica - Load

what a load of arse.

aquapiranha
24-12-2009, 17:57
If I hear that bloody pencil full of lead by paulo nutella one more friggin time!

right up there in the hall of fame of all time crap with lou bega and that git who sang shut up your face from the 80's.

:steam:

Beechwoods
24-12-2009, 21:49
So far, I've never had the pleasure. He sounds like a rip-off ice-cream anyway!

Spectral Morn
24-12-2009, 23:42
Saga---Generation 13. OH :doh:What were they thinking ? Awful.

Whiteheart anything after the superb Story Book and Highlands, from excellence to crap...and then folded.

Shara Nelsons first solo album after leaving Massive Attack..what a major disappointment.

Anything by Squarepusher.

Regards D S D L

DSJR
25-12-2009, 21:21
What is it about Paulo Nutini? He sounds high or drunk or both most of the time and cannot look his audience straight in the eyes when performing live, hanging onto the mic stand as if his life and balance depends on it....

Sand Dancin Donkey Walker
01-01-2010, 12:25
What is it about Paulo Nutini? He sounds high or drunk or both most of the time and cannot look his audience straight in the eyes when performing live, hanging onto the mic stand as if his life and balance depends on it....

He was on Jools Holland last night, looked like he desperately needed the loo.

Andy - SDDW

Peter Galbavy
05-01-2010, 15:59
And if you're born "Paul Nutly" why can't you use that as your name ?

I have no idea what his real name is, BTW, but patronising tosser. sigh.

DanJennings
08-01-2010, 19:09
And if you're born "Paul Nutly" why can't you use that as your name ?

I have no idea what his real name is, BTW, but patronising tosser. sigh.

Can't stand him personally, but it looks as though that's his real name
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paolo_Nutini