PDA

View Full Version : Budget DACs

cjm123
09-02-2016, 14:20
Hi Guys :),

Looking for a good DAC up to £200 to use in my small computer room system running off an Apple iMac. Just wondered what experience/recommendations you might have? Above all I am looking for clarity, detail and dynamics.

cheers :cheers:

Chris

WAD62
09-02-2016, 15:24
Hi Guys :),

Looking for a good DAC up to £200 to use in my small computer room system running off an Apple iMac. Just wondered what experience/recommendations you might have? Above all I am looking for clarity, detail and dynamics.

cheers :cheers:

Chris

Hi Chris, how do you want to listen, via headphones or speakers, or both?

cjm123
09-02-2016, 15:29
Hi Will,

It is for a desktop system with speakers (I dont like headphones) in a near field environment.

all the best

Chris

WAD62
09-02-2016, 17:41
Hi Will,

It is for a desktop system with speakers (I dont like headphones) in a near field environment.

all the best

Chris

Beresford do some very nice VFM DACs, I have a Caiman II on a secondary system which is excellent...

I was then about to say it's a bit above your price bracket and suggest its little brother the Bushmaster II

However it looks like Stan's slashed his prices the Caiman II is only £166...:stalks:

http://www.homehifi.co.uk/PP/cartlist.html?cat=10

I paid £265!!! However it's still excellent VFM ;)

I presume you could use either Mac's digital out, or USB...although I'll leave other Mac users to advise the best connection method...

roob
09-02-2016, 17:57
I presume you could use either Mac's digital out, or USB...although I'll leave other Mac users to advise the best connection method...
It depends on how good the usb input on the dac is, if it's a isolated/async type I would go with usb if not then stick with the Macs digi out.

cjm123
09-02-2016, 18:00
Thanks guys really helpful. I will have to research the iMacs digital output some more.

Chris:)

roob
09-02-2016, 18:03
It's the headphone socket which doubles up as digi out, you will need a mini toslink to toslink optical cable.
Such as http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fisual-Standard-Toslink-Optical-Cable/dp/B003NT7C2E
Thanks guys really helpful. I will have to research the iMacs digital output some more.

WAD62
09-02-2016, 18:06

...worth checking out the Beresford Banter sticky, there'll be some Mac users on there...

mikmas
09-02-2016, 18:43
I use an Audiolab Q-Dac with my Mac-Mini with great results. Bought when the price was reduced to £200 a short while back but unfortunately it seems to have gone back up again :(

Best results I've found are either via toslink from the digital out or USB (both I find about equal but my Q-Dac offers asynch USB - not sure about the Beresford if you go for that option.

I use Fisual optical cables for best results at a very good price, either their Pearl or Hollywood model depending what length you want; the Pearl can be had with 'built in' adapter for the Mac which makes it an even cheaper bet ;)

WAD62
09-02-2016, 19:24
Best results I've found are either via toslink from the digital out or USB (both I find about equal but my Q-Dac offers asynch USB - not sure about the Beresford if you go for that option.

Hi Mike, there's no mention of asynchronous with respect to the USB link, I use mine via the optical link (Belkin AV Pure) to very good effect, however there is a reference to an asynchronous SPDIF implementation;

"Asynchronous SPDIF to I2S signal transferIn order to correct timing and data speed transfer errors the TC-7534 uses a asynchronous buffer with a length of 1024 bits to take care of time period related errors."

http://www.homehifi.co.uk/S/7534f.htm

Presumably someone using one via USB, I'd be interested in their thoughts...:)

AlfaGTV
09-02-2016, 20:00
http://www.ollars.net/hififorum/SMSLM8.JPG

Think you'll enjoy this one very much! Reasonable cost, versatile and stunning sounds.
Works very well on the end of an USB cable off the Mac.
Plenty of filters and compatible with most formats (incl DSD 128)
Oh, it's called S.M.S.L M-8 and is available through the 'bay...

mr sneff
09-02-2016, 20:36
Audioengine D1 USB DAC available here (http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?42442-A-Few-Items)
Open to offers....

StanleyB
09-02-2016, 22:35
Above all I am looking for clarity, detail and dynamics.
There are a good selections of DACs in the price range. But clarity and detail are frequently mentioned as the things that instantly stand out with the Caiman.

danilo
10-02-2016, 01:02
A Decent DAC has a balanced output.
That means you need an Amp with balanced inputs :-)
Without that... it effectively ..doesn't audibly matter... what dac you use.

roob
10-02-2016, 10:45
Why is that then?:scratch:

cjm123
10-02-2016, 10:46
Thanks guys for all the help:) Loads of ideas here to research and educate myself on.

cheers

Chris

Saber
10-02-2016, 12:01
Hey cjm

I just got myself a Musical fidelity v-dacii with some birthday money, really enjoying it, massive improvment over the £22 Zhilai I was using, but even that was a huge improvment over the the headphone output on my laptop, and is nwo running my gaming pcs audio
Lots of choice up to £200, I grabbed the fidelity as it was one of 3 on my list and the first that came up for the right money.

Eventually you have to stop reading reviews and bite the bullet I guess :)

Flanders
10-02-2016, 12:46

Danilo, it'd be great if you could provide an explanation to help others (like myself) understand why this is the case. Does this also include all CD players that don't have balanced output? I could swear that I've heard differences in sound between different CD players and stand alone DAC's that are unbalanced. What if I put a balanced output on my old CD player? Will it sound decent then? I thought it sounded quite good but now I'm not so sure. :rolleyes::eyebrows:

wee tee cee
10-02-2016, 17:13
My son uses a Bushmaster mk2 with a Mac. He had been running it with usb cable/usb convertor/glass optical.....I bought him a 5m optical to run straight out of the headphone socket on the mac to the bushmaster, he felt it was a noticeable improvement.

I run a Caiman mk2 with the latest firmware,I was using a 5m usb cable/v-link/glass optical from a PC. Chat on the forum made me realise that the usb had been improved with the firmware upgrade.....tried the USB direct into the Caiman, havent went back to the convertor/optical.

Hope that makes sense!!!

WAD62
10-02-2016, 18:21
Danilo, it'd be great if you could provide an explanation to help others (like myself) understand why this is the case. Does this also include all CD players that don't have balanced output? I could swear that I've heard differences in sound between different CD players and stand alone DAC's that are unbalanced. What if I put a balanced output on my old CD player? Will it sound decent then? I thought it sounded quite good but now I'm not so sure. :rolleyes::eyebrows:

Danilo's law of the DAC, XLR = Good, RCA = Bad...and there's me thinking about the isolation, power supply, output stage, synchronisity, software, and the actual DAC itself, but thankfully this has all been simplified to an output analogue connector type...:doh:

For Danilo;

The OP just want's a 200 quid DAC for his office system...perhaps he should get a separate power supply spur along with his new DAC, and amp, both fitted with balanced connectors, in order for them to at least sound decent! ;)

Unless you're covering long distances there's little benefit in balanced connectors. My MDAC has balanced outputs, does this make it 'decent' even if I don't use them...:eyebrows: