PDA

View Full Version : Another new Aussie arrival (seeking help re Jelco 750 vs Audio Note Arm 1 (V2)

SETfan
08-02-2016, 20:41
Hi all,
My name is Mark from sunny Adelaide, Australia. Have been a keen reader of your forums for a while, but finally decided to sign up and join in!
My system is Apogee Centaur Major speakers, Aronov tube monoblock amps, Audio Research SP6B preamp, a CEC TL5100 cd transport and a venerable Deltec DPA PDM2 dac through a Meridian 518 processor. My vinyl rig is a Lenco GL75 in a heavy plinth running a Jelco SA750D tonearm into either a Garrott Optim or Clearaudio Virtuoso Wood cartridge.
I have seen an Audio Note Arm 1 (V2) available locally, and wonder if this would give me a big step forward in sound?
It has been suggested that spending more on the cartridge is generally a better path, and there seem to be lots of favourable opinions out there on the Jelco 750.
Any thoughts on whether I should stick with the Jelco, and aim for a better cartridge for the next upgrade?
Cheers
Mark

struth
08-02-2016, 20:46
Welcome Mark. That question may be better asked in say the analogue section as it is better read than the welcome section. Maybe say what music you listen to etc and budget will all help the members assist you

SETfan
08-02-2016, 22:51
Thanks for the welcome, and suggestion to post in the forum proper (which I have done now).

Music wise, I am a fan of early new wave/punk...Joy Division, Stranglers, Buzzcocks, Magazine, etc. but also appreciate the bigger name legends like Bowie, Roxy, Cohen, etc.

Of course, being an audiophile I pretty much like most genres of music, especially when well-recorded!

Cheers.

walpurgis
08-02-2016, 23:58
Hello Mark. Welcome to AOS.

You have an interesting system.

That's a tough choice with the arms. The Jelco is more versatile, but I suspect the Audio Note might have the edge on sound. However, I reckon both your cartridges will be at home in either.

Visit our Analogue Arts section and ask for opinions.

Enjoy the forum,
Geoff.

Audio Al
09-02-2016, 04:38
You don't get one for ages then they all come along at once :lol:

Welcome aboard and have fun ;)

Barry
09-02-2016, 10:40
Welcome to AoS Mark.

The quick answer is the Audio Note arm will most likely allow any cartridge fitted to it to perform better, but being a fixed headshell design it will not be as versatile as your current Jelco. If you want the option of changing cartridges easily, then you might be better off keeping the Jelco; which is a very good general purpose arm.

However if you are aiming to improve the overall quality of your record playing system, then choose the better of the two cartridges (difficult decision, although I am familiar with neither) and fit it to the Audio Note arm.

Enjoy the Forum

Barry

Flanders
09-02-2016, 23:30
G'day Mark,
Got any pics of your Lenco? I might pick your brain for some advice when I finally get around to doing up my L75, which is currently in bits.
Sounds like a great set up you have.