PDA

View Full Version : Album Club, February 2016: Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young - 'Deja Vu'

Album Club
01-02-2016, 13:27
The Album Club choice for February comes courtesy of Bazil, with a classic piece of Americana: 'Deja Vu' by Crosby Stills Nash and Young.

Please listen to the album fully before you vote.

Crosby Stills Nash & Young - Deja Vu

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/9/90/Crosby,_Stills,_Nash_%26_Young_-_Deja_Vu.jpg

David Crosby (The Byrds) , Stephen Stills (Buffalo Springfield) and Graham Nash (The Hollies) together formed the "super group" Crosby Stills and Nash in 1969 and lived up to the hype with their eponymous debut album.

For their second album Deja vu after a group discussion * it was agreed to get Neil Young (also ex-Buffalo Springfield) in to give the group a darker edge. Now this was a Super group and with song writing split equally they produced a fabulous album of songs which also includes a cover of Joni Mitchell's Woodstock and the David Crosby hippy anthem' Almost Cut My Hair' which is in my all time top ten.

* Chapter 9, Wild Tales - Graham Nash

https://play.spotify.com/album/5bHkK1X4WEOzNvRhehvOcb

high.spirits
02-02-2016, 10:49
An excellent choice. Just listened to my old original vinyl copy - one of my favorite LPs. 10/10

Bazil
02-02-2016, 18:27
My copy of this is on a strange coloured vinyl

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/342/19733735219_3ec546a1cf_z.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/w4NxY8)

Tom-Brown
06-02-2016, 11:53
Never been a big fan, but listened to it twice...musically ok but a little too "hippy" for me :) :)

Saber
07-02-2016, 00:35
Hmm.... I wasnt going to join in on this but its all subjective i guess.

Only 3 tracks I really like on this, Carry on, almost cut my hair, Woodstock are my standouts.

There are way too many tracks I cannot stand, mainly Teach your children and our house. Just way way to

twee, and the insistant plink! plink! plink! stabbed piano chords on our house makes me want to break things,

The other problem im afraid is.......Deep breath......confession time... I really hate Neil youngs voice :(

johnB
07-02-2016, 09:53
I always felt the Graham Nash songs didn't fit with the other songs on Deja Vu. The rest of the LP I like though 8/10.

Btw - Neil Young's voice is great (and just gets better and better)

Blue, blue windows behind the stars,
Yellow moon on the rise,
Big birds flying across the sky,
Throwing shadows on our eyes.

John

walpurgis
07-02-2016, 11:07
Love this album. 'Almost Cut My Hair' is a favourite track of mine, everything about it appeals to me enormously.

RichB
07-02-2016, 11:32
Oh yes, a personal favourite this one and an easy 9/10.

Love the vibe and the vocal harmonies.

Happy memories of seeing CSN at Glastonbury a few years ago.

struth
07-02-2016, 11:41
Yes not heard this for some time.... Helpless and teach your children spring to mind.. A bit of its day I guess but good album that never offends. Strong 6

Streaming it via Amazon music as I type

Mika K
08-02-2016, 10:57
One of my favorites too this one! Listened now from Tidal, but have to spin the original vinyl copy or one of the newer pressings I have some evening.

There are some truly astonishing tracks at the album like 'Carry on' and 'Almost cut my hair' but also few I'm not so fond of. Love the hippy vibe and the vocal harmonies also, so have to give 9/10 :cool:

mossy
09-02-2016, 10:46
Strong 7.
CSN.......ok
CSNY.....much better

The standout track for me is Helpless which alone gets a 10

.........one of the ones I sold on here to a Mr P Dixon

Mike - H
12-02-2016, 22:12
Listened to this four times now, can't help feeling that time hasn't been kind to it. A lot of things from that era haven't aged well, it's usually films but this album falls into that same trap imo. 6/10

Bazil
13-02-2016, 20:25
Listened to this four times now, can't help feeling that time hasn't been kind to it. A lot of things from that era haven't aged well, it's usually films but this album falls into that same trap imo. 6/10

Yes it probably hasn't if it isn't new to you , I knew of CSN at the time but would never have listened or bought anything like that (with my pocket money :D ) , Prog , Heavy Rock etc was my thing and I completely missed CSN and the likes. It wasn't until I caught them on TV at Glastonbury 2009 ? that I thought hmm I should give them a listen, I went to see them and have done four more times , I bought their albums and I think this is their best , of course Neil Young who didn't past me by is on it which helps.

spm
17-02-2016, 18:47
I like it but I don't love it, 7 from me.

MikeMusic
24-02-2016, 15:39
Essential for at least historical reasons.

7/10, pushing 8 on a good day

HackneyRF
06-03-2016, 21:42
Not bad, a few stand out songs for me in Helpless, 4+20 and Country Girl. I love Neil Young, much less familiar with Crosby, Stills and Nash. But somehow it just doesn't do for me overall. An middling 5 from me. Thanks for the suggestion.

Cheers

Loz