PDA

View Full Version : CD Transports

DogsPart2
30-01-2016, 16:00
I presently run a Cambridge CXC transport through a McIntosh D100 to a McIntosh MA6600 integrated.

The CXC was a quick and inexpensive replacement for my Linn Majik which bit the dust last year.
Lately I feel I can do a lot better and have been looking to replace the CXC with one of the following transports

1. Woo Audio US$1K
2. Moon 260D US$2K
3. McIntosh MCT450 US$4K

I have a huge collection of Redbook CDs and wish to enjoy them for a long time.

On one end, I am not sure if the Woo is a big enough step up from the CXC and on the other end not sure if I want to spend the $$ on on the Mac.

Opinions and advice much appreciated.

Dauntless
31-01-2016, 00:49
What's wrong with the Cambridge?

DogsPart2
31-01-2016, 14:42
Nothing, I just think I can do better. :eyebrows:

Macca
31-01-2016, 14:49
I'm guessing the McIntosh is the one you fancy but you'd quite like to be talked out of it ;)

At the price of the McIntosh I'd want a home dem for at least a couple of days. So I'd find a dealer who will let you do that and try the McIntosh. If it is no improvement over the Cambridge then problem solved, stick with what you have as the two cheaper alternatives are unlikely to be better.

If the McIntosh is outright better, straight from the off, no need to think about, then start considering the cheaper options.

Marco
31-01-2016, 15:10
Hi Ron,

Do all three players on your shortlist feature the use of a dedicated Red Book CD-only transport, rather than a cheap DVD-ROM (or shared SACD), as is so often the case these days? If not, choose the best one that does, as that will have a significant influence on the sound you'll hear from your CDs :)

It's not all just about the DAC....

Marco.

DogsPart2
31-01-2016, 15:43
I believe the Mac can do SACD. The others are RedBook only. I only care about Redbook, so the above is great advice, thanks.

I have a local Mac dealer which who also carries SimAudio Moon so I may give him a call this week and talk about home demos.

The Woo transport, I would need to purchase first, however I can return it if I do not like it.

Thanks for the insight, everyone.

roob
31-01-2016, 15:46
Do all three players on your shortlist feature the use of a dedicated Red Book CD-only transport, rather than a cheap DVD-ROM
I thought dedicated cd only transport mechs weren't made any more so you may have to find a decent old player to avoid getting one with a dvd rom

Tony Moore
31-01-2016, 18:56
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Replacement-CD-Pro-2-Player-For-Commercial-CD-Jukeboxes-/330946764660?hash=item4d0df6df74:m:mvcr0Wui13OZps0 csx8BN9w

You can still get CDPro2 but the price is high as they are now discontinued.

DogsPart2
05-02-2016, 14:42
On second thought, I am gonna keep the CXC as it does sound good and spend the $$ on a new Martin 12 string. :eyebrows: