PDA

View Full Version : Why balanced isolation power conditioing is far superior than all the rest!

MAD
24-10-2009, 12:15
Since the inception of the MAD Balance Power Isolation Platform (BPIP), people keep phoning and e-mailing me to find out what is it about. It is quite difficult to explain but let's discuss this issue.

Balanced Power

Domestic power from the main is unbalanced Alternating Current (AC), the live wire carries (230v UK / 220v Europe), and the netural conductor & an earth. Balanced Power Supply is a concept with 115 V on one the live wire and 115V on the netural wire, in total it giving you 230V. :smoking:

DSJR
24-10-2009, 12:18
Do you get crossover distortion?

MAD
24-10-2009, 12:30
Do you get crossover distortion?

No! But could you elaborate your question, it is a very interesting question.:eyebrows:

Avondale Audio
24-10-2009, 22:44
Since the inception of the MAD Balance Power Isolation Platform (BPIP), people keep phoning and e-mailing me to find out what is it about. It is quite difficult to explain but let's discuss this issue.

Balanced Power

Domestic power from the main is unbalanced Alternating Current (AC), the live wire carries (230v UK / 220v Europe), and the netural conductor & an earth. Balanced Power Supply is a concept with 115 V on one the live wire and 115V on the netural wire, in total it giving you 230V. :smoking:

Interesting - so if a fuse on one of the phases is knocked out then 115V appears on the equipment housing.......

NRG
25-10-2009, 08:45
Well I'd hope they would use a double pole double protection circuit breaker and not fuses... ;)

DSJR
25-10-2009, 09:01
I was being a little tongue-in-cheek about the crossover distortion issue, but can the two phases be guaranteed to "cross over" correctly..

Sorry MAD, it seems to me that you're blatantly advertising worse than Ashley (AVI) did, inventing a "problem" and then coming up with a "cure."

I'm genuinely interested, but since practically all domestic audio takes a +230 to 0 feed, how can a balanced supply be used with them? :confused:

Ali Tait
25-10-2009, 13:37
Hi Dave,
The transformer used in this application is center-tapped,providing 115v or so on each leg,which will give you your 230v.Anything designed to run on UK mains will work just fine on this.We have been here before,there was an earlier thread on this same subject.There is a safety issue with this,in that each leg should be protected by an RCB or RCBO,as Neal said,in order to keep things safe.There would also be a safety issue with balanced and non-balanced equipment in proximity to each other,given that you could end up with a potential difference between the two under fault conditions,so it would be a good idea to keep balanced and non-balanced equipment well away from each other.Other than that,there should be no problems with this,and I have heard from someone who did this with positive sonic results.See here-

http://www.jmsonline.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=69_68&products_id=187

Will
25-10-2009, 14:35
Have a read, as Ali says you need to know whats inside.....

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/nov06/articles/crosstalk_1106.htm

Ali Tait
25-10-2009, 16:00
Good link Will,not seen that before.Anyone contemplating this should read that link very carefully.

MAD
26-10-2009, 01:46
I was being a little tongue-in-cheek about the crossover distortion issue, but can the two phases be guaranteed to "cross over" correctly..

Sorry MAD, it seems to me that you're blatantly advertising worse than Ashley (AVI) did, inventing a "problem" and then coming up with a "cure."

I'm genuinely interested, but since practically all domestic audio takes a +230 to 0 feed, how can a balanced supply be used with them? :confused:

Ashley!!! No No!!! I don't rubbish ATC! I am a big ATC fan and I use my mate's (Billy) great invention on my Loudspeakers. After he left ATC he kept saying ATC is no good to me!!!! STRANGE!:ner: I am not similar to Ashley in any way! I found it difficult to explain the concept really! I spent months to write and re-write the brochure and still not happy about it. :doh:

sburrell
06-12-2009, 18:53
if we always worked with balanced audio connections for everything this whole balanced mains business would be completely unnecessary.
(from the article linked to by Will)

Hear! Hear! Balanced audio FTW!

MAD
06-12-2009, 19:43
(from the article linked to by Will)

Hear! Hear! Balanced audio FTW!

I am not quite sure what are you stating, could you bring us more enlightment? I use completely balanced system, without the BPIP it sounds like shit (Of course it is good to the majority of people in this world). This is two totally different concept, the BPIP is dealing with the main and balanced audio is for line singal path.:lol:

sburrell
06-12-2009, 20:00
I wasn't stating anything per se, just my support for the balanced signal path paradigm that I have experience of from my radio days. Though, having read the article linked to by Will, and the comments from Ali Tait, I guess I was also indicating my support for the signal path paradigm as an alternative to the balanced mains paradigm, given the potential health risks of the latter. And I would like to doubly-emphasise potential.

I'm by no means acquainted with balanced mains setups, either sonically or academically, so please accept that I was merely taking the veracity of the quote as read. If you disagree with it (as it seems you do) then, well, frankly, it's not really a discussion I could be part of other than as an observer, but feel free to post a counter-argument.

Dave Cawley
06-12-2009, 20:16
Isn't this a trade advert? And should be in the trade section? Come on chaps!!

Dave

Marco
06-12-2009, 20:51
Yep. I guess that JJ didn't know. It's going in there now! :)

Marco.