PDA

View Full Version : R.I.P. Paul Kantner of Jefferson Airplane and Starship

surv1v0r
29-01-2016, 08:19
Paul Kantner, the co-founder of Jefferson Airplane has died of multiple organ failure following a heart attack, he was 74.

With hits such as "Somebody to Love" and "White Rabbit," Jefferson Airplane wrote anthems for the hippie movement and the memorable "Summer of Love" in which young people took over San Francisco in 1967. Paul Kantner, a guitarist, was often considered the creative force of the band as he brought a new urgency to the folk scene from which he emerged.

The Black Adder
29-01-2016, 08:34
OMG... what is going on?

This is becoming surreal.

I love Jefferson Airplane, brilliant band. Very sad news indeed.

RIP Paul

Spectral Morn
29-01-2016, 08:42
More a Jefferson Starship fan. One of my favourite bands. Thank you Paul for the music and your vision.

:(

4BcV-LmlF3c

xKBttQmhDBw

struth
29-01-2016, 08:45
They are all of an age where their lives may catch up

Don't I know it

Barry
29-01-2016, 14:21
It's certainly hasn’t been a good start to the year: Lemmy, Bowie, Kurt Mazur, Pierre Boulez, Natalie Cole, Glen Frey of the Eagles, Black and now Paul Kantner. (I may have missed one or two – apologies to those I have omitted.) :(

By the way, I much prefered the Airplane to the Starship.

martinjohn308
01-02-2016, 13:11
Really liked the Airplane but surely the guitarist was Jorma?

Made some fabulous music along the way then i followed Hot Tuna.

Regards,

Martin

surv1v0r
01-02-2016, 18:30
You are absolutely correct, Jorma Kaukonen played Lead guitar on most (or all) of the Jefferson Airplane albums; Paul Kantner & Marty Balin played Rhythm guitar.
Jerry Garcia also played guitar on a couple of albums and Carlos Santana allegedly featured somewhere.

As a complete aside, Jorma's brother Peter played on the final Airplane album as did the bizarre Phlorescent Leech & Eddie - ex-Turtles & Mothers.

Like you, I preferred Jefferson Airplane but Starship wasn't bad either. The CDs included many "bonus" tracks, typically live recordings.

I think that Jefferson Airplane / Starship are frequently overlooked, they were a big thing in the late 60s, early 70s - almost as good as the Grateful Dead.

The Black Adder
01-02-2016, 19:06
The first album I heard was Surrealistic Pillow, then Crown of Creation.

Both albums blew me away, the other albums for me were more experimental but still really good.

They went on tour with The Doors and lived in each others pockets pretty much whilst touring Europe.

A great band. They even swapped songs with CSN like Triad and Wooden Ships.

martinjohn308
03-02-2016, 09:08
David Crosby wrote Triad when he was still in the Byrds, Wooden Ships was co-written by Crosby, Stills and Kantner.

Regards,

Martin

IslandPink
05-02-2016, 15:37
Sad news indeed .
Surrealistic Pillow is one of the greatest albums of the 60's . 'Volunteers' has some classic tracks on too.
I love the footage of the early-morning gig they had at Woodstock, have a look at the film of that again, if you can.