PDA

View Full Version : Shaun's modest system so far...

Haselsh1
22-10-2009, 14:21
This is my system so far... there are due to be changes...!!!

http://i867.photobucket.com/albums/ab240/Haselsh1/HiFi/ThorensNo1.jpg

http://i867.photobucket.com/albums/ab240/Haselsh1/HiFi/OriginalNo1.jpg

http://i867.photobucket.com/albums/ab240/Haselsh1/HiFi/CreekNo1.jpg

This system has been put together after getting into serious financial trouble and having to sell all of my previous valve based gear. It gave me time to reflect on what is important and what is not. The 8000M monoblocks came out of wasting 450 quid on a Chinese 300B single ended valve amplifier. The Creek passive pre is amazing but doesn't go with the Audiolabs in terms of appearance however it does look very 'hobbyist'

Alex_UK
22-10-2009, 14:32
Nice pics Shaun - are the 8000M's the original UK built ones? (If they are, I never realised they did them in silver.) The tonearm looks interesting - no finger lift? I'd be too cack-handed!

Haselsh1
22-10-2009, 14:42
Nice pics Shaun - are the 8000M's the original UK built ones? (If they are, I never realised they did them in silver.) The tonearm looks interesting - no finger lift? I'd be too cack-handed!

Alex, I'm not sure about the 8000M's being UK built. I bought them a few months back after realising I couldn't afford a good valve amp and probably never would be able to again but the guy I bought them from just assured me they were 2006 models. I am though very impressed by the sheer weight of the bloody things. I'm running them into four Ohm Dali speakers with no problems at all. In fact generally, I'm very pleased with the sound. OK, I still yearn for a full valve pre/power setup but in reality, it's never going to happen.

DSJR
22-10-2009, 17:24
You've got the current ones I think. The UK ones were either dark grey early on and then black later. Doesn't mean to say the current ones are any inferior though, as they may be based on the 8000MX model, rather than the cap-coupled 8000M that preceeded it.

The Thorens looks handsome indeed, as does the CD player. You really need to chuck that grotty old arm out and get a nice Nima or summat - I'll have it from you for bits.....:D ;) :eyebrows: :lol:

Just get a nice Croft preamp in there, you know it makes sense.......:gig:

Haselsh1
22-10-2009, 18:01
I'd love the new Croft 'whateveritiscalled' preamp but with a 0-30V output it's a bit too over the top for me. The volume pots would be practically turned off...! After I've sold my Hasselblad camera though I should have around 350 quid to play with... enough for the Croft...!!! (I wonder)

Haselsh1
22-10-2009, 18:03
The Thorens looks handsome indeed, as does the CD player. You really need to chuck that grotty old arm out and get a nice Nima or summat - I'll have it from you for bits.....:D ;) :eyebrows: :lol:

Just get a nice Croft preamp in there, you know it makes sense.......:gig:

I do truly covet this arm, I guess that makes me a sinner...! ;)

Marco
23-10-2009, 03:15
Nice pics, Shaun - certainly as we've come to expect from you :)

The Alphason's a classic - I wouldn't be changing that too quickly if I were you... Just ditch the Thorens and fit it to a Techy, and you'll be laughing! ;)

I've never seen your CD player before. Is it Chinese? It certainly looks very well made.

Now all we need is a nice picture of your speakers :cool:

Marco.

Haselsh1
23-10-2009, 08:01
Nice pics, Shaun - certainly as we've come to expect from you :)

The Alphason's a classic - I wouldn't be changing that too quickly if I were you... Just ditch the Thorens and fit it to a Techy, and you'll be laughing! ;)

I've never seen your CD player before. Is it Chinese? It certainly looks very well made.

Now all we need is a nice picture of your speakers :cool:

Marco.

Hiya Marco...
The CD player is Chinese and was imported via Ornec. It sounds stunning and cost a total of around 450 quid with all of the courier and import duties. It weighs a ton and is therefore as solid as a rock. Although it was sold as UK mains compatible it wasn't... no surprises there then, it burnt out the toroidal mains transformer after about ten months. This was replaced locally by a true UK unit for around 85 quid.

I prefer to use vinyl whenever I can and I love the Alphason arm to bits but appreciate that it could take a much better cartridge. The Thorens is a stop gap turntable until my finances improve, if they ever do, so it has to do for now.
Maybe I should try my hand at a few scratch cards...???

Shite... forgot about the speakers...!!!

Themis
23-10-2009, 08:19
Shite... forgot about the speakers...!!!
:eyebrows:

I'd love the new Croft 'whateveritiscalled' preamp but with a 0-30V output it's a bit too over the top for me.
It says "Line 125 mV rms for 0.5V rms output" which means that it's 8V for 2V max, no ?

Marco
23-10-2009, 08:35
Hi Shaun,

My comment about the Thorens was largely tongue-in-cheek :)

Yes I think a modified Techy, fitted with your Alphason arm, would be considerably better (when funds permit), but I doubt that a standard one would be any better than your Thorens - in fact with the Alphason on board, the Thorens would likely beat the Techy, so there's no real hurry to change your deck. It's one of the better medium-mass belt-drives out there.

And yes, the Alphason could certainly take a much better cartridge. I see no reason why it couldn't be partnered with a £1000 MC cartridge, should you be in a position to spend such an amount. It's probably as good as an SME 309.

I thought that the CD player was Chinese - I've seen ones like that before and they are very good, once they've been made suitable for UK mains ;)

Indeed, we need pictures of your speakers to complete the system, so let's see 'em! :eyebrows:

Marco.

Haselsh1
23-10-2009, 14:10

It says "Line 125 mV rms for 0.5V rms output" which means that it's 8V for 2V max, no ?

Yeah I agree entirely. I was thinking everyone was talking about the Vitale preamp which they obviously weren't.

Haselsh1
23-10-2009, 15:18
http://i867.photobucket.com/albums/ab240/Haselsh1/HiFi/DaliNo1.jpg

Here is a not very good shot of the Dali's. They have been with me now for nearly a year and I still love their sound. OK, they are a pain; they have to be positioned very precisely for the best stereo image but they sound wonderful. They are not real wood veneer but for 500 pounds a pair there's no surprise. They are a 4 Ohm load so demand a lot from the amplifier but are quite efficient. They are also tall, a fact I overlooked before I clicked on 'Buy'...!

DSJR
23-10-2009, 17:02

That's with volume controls at maximum... Mine gives around 7V out for 2V in as I recall, but as most people listen with the volume set not far off minimum.......

Themis
23-10-2009, 17:07
Here is a not very good shot of the Dali's.
I like the sound and look of Dalis. If I didn't have SF, I would have some Dalis or some Vienna Acoustics. ;)

Haselsh1
24-10-2009, 15:24
http://i867.photobucket.com/albums/ab240/Haselsh1/HiFi/DaliNo2.jpg

Here's a better view of one of the Dali's. I guess at least the bloody sun is shining on this one. Jesus we've had some grim weather over the past couple of days and today was no exception but it's rather nice now and a gorgeous curry at the local curry house is on the cards for tonight...!!! How good is that...???

DSJR
24-10-2009, 19:27
OOh look, ADM9 tweeters........................ ;)

Don't mind me (:)), I'm sure they sound great...

Haselsh1
24-10-2009, 22:28
The only speakers I've heard in my own systems that sounded better than the Dali's were Audio Note AZ-2's. These were a perfect match for my then Audion 300B SEL amplifier. How things change...!!!

Beechwoods
25-10-2009, 11:19
Lovely pictures, Shaun. Have you ever thought about doing it for a living ;)

The Thorens looks like an excellent example. Very nice!

Haselsh1
25-10-2009, 15:02
Lovely pictures, Shaun. Have you ever thought about doing it for a living ;)

The Thorens looks like an excellent example. Very nice!

Jesus Beechwoods...!!! I am constantly being hounded to set myself up as a wedding photographer :no:

Truth is, although I'd love the profit margins, I'm not sure I want the responsbility that is involved. Maybe I'll take you up on that one though ;)