PDA

View Full Version : Between a rack and a hard place - should I use hacked IKEA gear for a hifi?

Phil Lawton
20-01-2016, 10:48
I'm looking to replace my existing rack, as my component count has increased and also because I think my current metal/glass stand could be improved upon.

The prices for anything half decent are prohibitive, but I've seen many ideas online which utilise IKEA furniture. A few of these involve using the 'LACK' tables, with cut-down leg lengths to enable different component heights and general aesthetics.

But are they any good? I've seen some 'work in progress' photos, where the legs of these tables are shown to be hollow; I would surmise that what looks like a thick, solid top may also be hollow.

Does that lend itself to the anti-vibrational properties of a rack?

If so, what spiking/isolation system should I use between each layer of the edifice?

Any and all thoughts welcome.

cjm123
20-01-2016, 17:11
Hi Phil,

I went from a rusty, iron and glass eye sore hair shirt hifi rack to an IKEA Lack. The sound change was not subtle. It went from a somewhat hard and forward presentation to a much calmer and softer one. It had the same effect on sound both on my turntable (Linn LP12 at the time) and my CD player. However after a while I became aware of a midrange boxy effect to the sound which I did not like so my local charity shop inherited the Lack and I have got an Alphason Francium AV stand which the domestic management found visually acceptable and to my pleasant surprise it is well made and sounds pretty decent too, oh and it wasn't silly money either.

I think you can get too picky on these things..thinks :scratch: and the same is probably true on the hifi gear as well!

Anyway good luck with your research and decision!

Chris

daytona600
20-01-2016, 17:40
Bamboo chopping boards under the Ikea rack , if funds don,t permit a dedicated audio rack

Phil Lawton
20-01-2016, 18:14
Chuckling st "domestic management".

Cheers, Chris...it's what I suspected.

Hi Phil,

I went from a rusty, iron and glass eye sore hair shirt hifi rack to an IKEA Lack. The sound change was not subtle. It went from a somewhat hard and forward presentation to a much calmer and softer one. It had the same effect on sound both on my turntable (Linn LP12 at the time) and my CD player. However after a while I became aware of a midrange boxy effect to the sound which I did not like so my local charity shop inherited the Lack and I have got an Alphason Francium AV stand which the domestic management found visually acceptable and to my pleasant surprise it is well made and sounds pretty decent too, oh and it wasn't silly money either.

I think you can get too picky on these things..thinks :scratch: and the same is probably true on the hifi gear as well!

Anyway good luck with your research and decision!

Chris

Phil Lawton
20-01-2016, 18:16
Hi, Scott

Sounds interesting...care to expand upon that?

By the way, the Record Doctor V is still performing brilliantly. Thanks again for your help with getting it to me.

Bamboo chopping boards under the Ikea rack , if funds don,t permit a dedicated audio rack

Pieoftheday
29-01-2016, 11:52
+1 for bamboo chopping boards, recently bought some cheap ones off ebay,seem to have taken away a slight hardness to the sound and improved clarity a little, small but usefull improvements for little money:)

daytona600
30-01-2016, 11:44
Hi, Scott

Sounds interesting...care to expand upon that?

By the way, the Record Doctor V is still performing brilliantly. Thanks again for your help with getting it to me.

Glad you are enjoying the RCM

Bamboo great support , use Quadraspire racks myself with bamboo shelfs
much better than glass , metal etc

http://www.theaudiobeat.com/equipment/atacama_quadraspire_racks.htm
http://www.theaudiobeat.com/blog/ikea_aptitlig.htm

SquireC
30-01-2016, 12:09
+1 for bamboo chopping boards, recently bought some cheap ones off ebay,seem to have taken away a slight hardness to the sound and improved clarity a little, small but usefull improvements for little money:)
+2 for Bamboo. Get Butchers blocks and just use acrylic or carbon fibre supports underneath them with a dab of blu tack. Big improvement for little money and excellent vibration isolation. Surprised myself when I did it.

Phil Lawton
02-02-2016, 08:45
Thanks, chaps.