PDA

View Full Version : Wanted: Feickert or Clearaudio alignment gauge

CageyH
19-01-2016, 21:13
I am not getting on too well with my mirrored Avid alignment gauge, so I would like to see what difference one of these fancy tools makes.

Anybody got one lying around that they no longer need/want?

Excuse the extra "r" in the title.

CageyH
20-01-2016, 14:51
Would it be easier to ask for rocking horse droppings? :eyebrows:

Ammonite Audio
20-01-2016, 15:10
I think that most people who already own these things use them all the time, so there's no reason to sell. I have the Clearaudio jig, and it's very good, but IIRC the Feickert is a little cheaper. Project do one too.

struth
20-01-2016, 15:21
Im saying nowt:lol:

CageyH
20-01-2016, 17:18
I think that most people who already own these things use them all the time, so there's no reason to sell. I have the Clearaudio jig, and it's very good, but IIRC the Feickert is a little cheaper. Project do one too.
I saw the project one, and there is about €10 difference between the Feickert and Clearaudio versions. I have no idea if one is "better" than the other though.

Im saying nowt:lol:

Cat got your tongue? :scratch:

Marco
20-01-2016, 18:33
Excuse the extra "r" in the title.

Fixed it for you, daftee! ;)

Marco.

struth
20-01-2016, 18:38
I saw the project one, and there is about €10 difference between the Feickert and Clearaudio versions. I have no idea if one is "better" than the other though.

Cat got your tongue? :scratch:

Ive tried lots of these including the avid, but keep coming back to the ease of the geodisc. ive used it with various arms and it always works fine, although maybe I'm not as fussy as some. Sounds fine to me though. It also takes 5/10 mins instead of God knows how long.

CageyH
20-01-2016, 18:40
Ta muchly.
Just been looking over on the Wam, and these things are as rare as hens teeth second hand. If nothing pops up before the weekend, I may buy a new one.
I noticed a bit of distortion on 1 track of the first album I played after changing the cartridge so I have just re-done the set up with the Avid gauge and the mirror surface makes it "challenging".
It sounds much better now, but it still relies on me aligning the gauge by eye to the pivot point. The FX1200 has a nice screw marking the spot, so something like the Feickert would make it more accurate, and easier!

CageyH
20-01-2016, 18:46
Ive tried lots of these including the avid, but keep coming back to the ease of the geodisc. ive used it with various arms and it always works fine, although maybe I'm not as fussy as some. Sounds fine to me though. It also takes 5/10 mins instead of God knows how long.

Thanks Grant.
The geodisc crossed my mind, but as I change cartridges fairly often, the Feickert NG seems to be pretty straightforward to use, and accurate.
I don't want to be wearing out the Shibata styli too quickly!

I have just bought a cheap laserdisc to help set the bias as I don't have any blank LPs.

struth
20-01-2016, 19:10
Ta muchly.
Just been looking over on the Wam, and these things are as rare as hens teeth second hand. If nothing pops up before the weekend, I may buy a new one.
I noticed a bit of distortion on 1 track of the first album I played after changing the cartridge so I have just re-done the set up with the Avid gauge and the mirror surface makes it "challenging".
It sounds much better now, but it still relies on me aligning the gauge by eye to the pivot point. The FX1200 has a nice screw marking the spot, so something like the Feickert would make it more accurate, and easier!

the geo relies on that too, although you do get the knack, it does have to be spot on. I sometimes use a steel skewer on the aligning line held with bluetac etc that goes right to the pivot. inclined to take the guess work out of the equation

CageyH
21-01-2016, 07:25
I have ordered a Feickert NG.
Seemed little chance of getting one second hand, and it seems to be a useful tool which appears to be easy to use.
Sometimes I miss the simplicity of a removable headshell and overhang gauge.

Perister
21-01-2016, 14:37
Ta muchly.
It sounds much better now, but it still relies on me aligning the gauge by eye to the pivot point. The FX1200 has a nice
screw marking the spot, so something like the Feickert would make it more accurate, and easier!

Hello

You can try a laser spirit level type of gadget.
It essentially creates a nice laser line, which you can use to align the Avid protractor to the pivot point.
I had a very helpful member of AOS setting up my TT ( thanks Steve!) and he used one.
Gets the guess work out of this part at least

CageyH
22-01-2016, 06:26
Thanks for the tip. It sounds like a good solution.
I don't have one of those, hence the purchase of the Feickert.