PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Hong Kong

No Money
17-01-2016, 09:55
Hello all. How to introduce myself and my tastes?

Well, I'm a visual artist who loves music married to a violinist who, not surprisingly, loves music.

We both have broad taste in music with a strong love of Jazz and "Classical". I sang in Punk bands when I was younger and have adventurous tastes in music. I listen to music that ranges from Eric Satie to Stockhausen, Louis Armstrong to The Art Ensemble of Chicago, Industrial to Shirley Collins. We travel so have had the chance to hear different music around the world.

Currently we have a system at home that comprises a very modified Rega Planar 3 with a Goldring cartridge and a Rega phono stage (which is about to be replaced with a tubed stage that I am going to build), a Cocktail X40 hard disk player, an AudioSpace 2 SE Amp (locally built el34 amp) and Rega Jura 2 speakers. In my studio I have a Naim 5i2 CD player, a "Latino" ST70 amp (a modern remake of the old Dynaco) currently running through a home built headphone amp as a preamp and some ProAc Tabllete 50 speakers.

I'm becoming very interested in DIY having built a few small amps for sound art projects and am about to build some small speakers.

Look forward to learning and sharing.

David.

Tim
17-01-2016, 10:04
Hello David and welcome to the forum, which part of Hong Kong do you live in?

Dive straight in and I would think you may get some help or knowledge sharing (if you need it?) when building your new phono stage.

Enjoy the forum.

No Money
17-01-2016, 10:12
Hello David and welcome to the forum, which part of Hong Kong do you live in?

Dive straight in and I would think you may get some help or knowledge sharing (if you need it?) when building your new phono stage.

Enjoy the forum.

Hi Tim, thanks for the welcome, I live in Happy Valley, where the race course is.

I'm sure I'm going to be asking lots of questions.

Tim
17-01-2016, 10:29
That's a nice part, never stopped there but been past it a few times on the way to Stanley. Would love to see some night racing one day?

I'm sure you should get plenty of advice here, lot's of 'builders' visit the forum - I'm just a listener.

jollyfix
17-01-2016, 10:38
Hi David, welcome to AOS. enjoy the forum.

No Money
17-01-2016, 10:43
Wednesday nights outside of the summer season is when they do the races. You in HK often?

And as to the races, been living here for over 10 years, been about three times ....

walpurgis
17-01-2016, 11:32
Hello David. Welcome to AOS.

If you are interested in DIY Hi-Fi you will be in good company here. We have many members who construct every type of equipment.

You can start a thread in the Drawing Board section for projects. We like to see what people are building. If you have questions or need advice. I'm sure members can advise you.

Enjoy the forum,
Geoff.

Tim
17-01-2016, 12:54
You in HK often?
6 or 7 times during the last 10 years, seeing Rufus Wainwright there on 1st March and Lisa Fischer on 19th March, really looking forward to seeing her.

No Money
17-01-2016, 14:04
6 or 7 times during the last 10 years, seeing Rufus Wainwright there on 1st March and Lisa Fischer on 19th March, really looking forward to seeing her.
Wanted to hear Lisa Fischer, but clashes with Melinkov paying Shostakovich ... And have heard Rufus Wainwright a few times, so much on this festival, so little time ....

Spectral Morn
17-01-2016, 17:20
Welcome to AoS David