PDA

View Full Version : WANTED: DECCA cartridges - any condition

Wakefield Turntables
16-01-2016, 18:53
I've been bitten by the DECCA bug and I would like to try one of these in my valve system. It dosen't matter what the condition as It'll be going for a rebuild once I've bought it. I'd love one to play with my collection of DECCA FFSS records.

Thanks

A

Jimbo
16-01-2016, 19:07
On another matter of interest have you had your modified Croft Epoch back from Glenn yet, if so how's it sounding?:)

walpurgis
16-01-2016, 19:38
I've been bitten by the DECCA bug

Have you heard one Andy?

Wakefield Turntables
16-01-2016, 19:44
Not as such but I've done lots of reading around the subject and think it's about time I bit the bullet.

walpurgis
16-01-2016, 20:20
Not as such but I've done lots of reading around the subject and think it's about time I bit the bullet.

Deccas can behave oddly in some arms. I take it you'll be using the SME V? That's not a bad match, especially if you utilise the lateral damping available.

Wakefield Turntables
16-01-2016, 20:27
TBH, I'm a little fed up of the SME's I've had them for years and fancy going completely off tangent. I decided to get "into" my hobby this year and actually listen to my vinyl rather than obsess over the setup of my equipment etc. Life's been better and I've a new passion for Vinyl. I'd really like to get one of the old DECCA tonearms and mess around with some of the fixed head shell carts. I'd also like to get an old Maroon or something similar and then send it off for full rebuild to silly spec via John Wright. I've been considering getting a Unipivot, but I also have to take into consideration something that's high mass. I've heard that the DECCA's throw a lots of energy into the tonearm and I'd also need quite a massy head shell. I can balance upto 60g :eek: on my current SME 3012 so I suppose I could try that out for a while.

walpurgis
16-01-2016, 20:36
The original Decca International arm (metal headshell version) and the Mission 774 are a great match for the Mk.V Londons. Both offer fluid damping that works well.

I preferred the London Grey to the Maroon and Gold. The Blue is entertaining, if a little less refined. Very early Blues sound extremely good.

The Mk.I to Mk.IV sound interesting and command a fair premium now. The later model the better and the higher the price. The Mk.IV is in my opinion the best Decca ever made.

Wakefield Turntables
16-01-2016, 20:40
There's a MkIII on eBay for £135 at the moment and a couple of Decca tonearms, I suppose I could get into the DECCA club for <£500.

walpurgis
16-01-2016, 20:46
There's a MkIII on eBay for £135 at the moment and a couple of Decca tonearms, I suppose I could get into the DECCA club for <£500.

Yes. That's one of the best to go for. It's the elliptical diamond (that's what the ED written on it means). It tracks at around 2 grams, so is not too hard on records. Any of the FFSS arm will work with it.

The 'ED' Mk.III is quite a rare cartridge. I bought the previous two that appeared on eBay and a couple of FFSS arms to go with them!

The spec and sound of the MK.III are almost identical to the Mk.IV. In other words. Amazing!

walpurgis
16-01-2016, 20:51
By the way. You can expect the bidding for the MK.III on eBay to shoot up towards the end. There's a rather pronounced resurgence of interest in vintage Decca stuff (and Lencos). Justified too I'd say.

My pair of Mk.IIIs cost me around £200 and £250 respectively. The current offering may command a bit more.

tankertop
17-01-2016, 17:27
You've reminded me. Still got a nice Decca FFSS (Super) + Auriol arm lifter + Decca II cart (needs a cantilever/tip). All three yours for £100...

walpurgis
17-01-2016, 17:32
Andy may not see this Kulwinder. You could send him a PM.

Wakefield Turntables
17-01-2016, 18:15
You've reminded me. Still got a nice Decca FFSS (Super) + Auriol arm lifter + Decca II cart (needs a cantilever/tip). All three yours for £100...

Thanks mate. I'll take those you have a PM.

Wakefield Turntables
17-01-2016, 19:27
Looks like I'm in the DECCA club!

narabdela
17-01-2016, 19:41
Looks like I'm in the DECCA club!

Look forward to sheer unrestrained joy, and deep frustration, in equal measure. It goes with the territory...

... but it's worth it. :thumbsup:

walpurgis
18-01-2016, 16:41
By the way. You can expect the bidding for the MK.III on eBay to shoot up towards the end. There's a rather pronounced resurgence of interest in vintage Decca stuff (and Lencos). Justified too I'd say.

My pair of Mk.IIIs cost me around £200 and £250 respectively. The current offering may command a bit more.

Looks like I was right. It sold at £269. It was at £135 last night. That wasn't you was it Andy?

Wakefield Turntables
18-01-2016, 20:08
No not me Geoff I'm quite happy to pay for a trashed cart and send for refurb.

walpurgis
18-01-2016, 20:24
Yes. The Mk.II you are getting should be fine with a refurb. Maybe you can get John Wright to modernise the spec up to Mk.IV level with an elliptical tip. Then you'd have the equivalent to a C4E. Rather special!

Wakefield Turntables
18-01-2016, 20:52
Yes. The Mk.II you are getting should be fine with a refurb. Maybe you can get John Wright to modernise the spec up to Mk.IV level with an elliptical tip. Then you'd have the equivalent to a C4E. Rather special!

Thats exactly what I had in mind. :cool:

walpurgis
18-01-2016, 20:54
:thumbsup: