PDA

View Full Version : Whats you top three Fav Vintage recievers?

Rare Bird
21-10-2009, 20:13
No Order
1..New Acoustic Dimension (NAD) 160
2..Yamaha CR2020
3..Tandberg TR2080

DSJR
21-10-2009, 20:38
Yep, the NAD was great (yes, I'm old enough to remember selling them!). The Model 60 amp was a well finished forerunner to the 3030 and this one spawned the legend that is the 3020 - early version..

I prefer the CR1000 myself, but they're all as bad as each other for sound these days ;)

That Tandberg was a great receiver in dated (even then) styling. The 2075 was a classic too as I recall.

Another one - Harman Kardon HK930 (they were all good, but the 930 was something very special IMO). A minty one sold for £60 last year. I bet any that come up now will go for rather more, although they'll need a recap and tuner setup now.

Wasn't there a big Sansui (9090 era) reciever. I reckon there was something like this, but I'm not sure if it came to the UK or not..

One final one I liked, the JVC JRS 600, with electric blue dial and sliders with eq settings..

Oh go on, noone will ever list this, but the B&O Beomaster 4400 was one of their finest ones (I never seriouslhy heard the 6000 and 8000 'masters so can't say). The 4400 was sweet toned and with a great radio section..

jandl100
22-10-2009, 07:31
:smoking:

Marantz!!

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii114/jandl100/Marantzquadreceiver.jpg

aquapiranha
22-10-2009, 18:17
I have only owned one, this nice Rotel RX 602

http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb256/aquapiranha/Various%20HIFI/CIMG2996.jpg

Marco
22-10-2009, 18:40
I've never owned a receiver - only separate amps and tuners. However, there were some great designs, some of which have already been shown.

The Yanks loved 'em, but sadly we were always brainwashed by the press (and some dealers) into believing that they were crap - in fact, much like we were with Jap direct-drive turntables...

Marco.

Joe
22-10-2009, 19:00
I've only owned one; a Goodman's Module 90. It was OK.

The Grand Wazoo
22-10-2009, 19:25
The Yanks loved 'em, but sadly we were always brainwashed by the press (and some dealers) into believing that they were crap
Marco.

Not just our colonial cousins, I think the UK was possibly the only market that didn't embrace receivers - they seem to be particularly popular in Germany.

I luvs 'em!

The Grand Wazoo
22-10-2009, 19:50
Not from the usual brands mentioned above, but this was a good 'un. Not really vintage valve sounding at all.............

http://www.theoldstereoguy.com/Web%20Pages/May%2026,%202008%20021.jpg

http://www.koehler.teamk2.de/fisher/high/fisher500c_01.jpg

Fisher 500 - C

35 watts with 7591A's & solid state rectifier. Big sounding, excellent bass (unlike almost everything else from that time) and soundstage & imaging as good as anything, from any maker, at any price

Spectral Morn
22-10-2009, 21:59
Not from the usual brands mentioned above, but this was a good 'un. Not really vintage valve sounding at all.............

Fisher 500 - C

35 watts with 7591A's & solid state rectifier. Big sounding, excellent bass (unlike almost everything else from that time) and soundstage & imaging as good as anything, from any maker, at any price

Thats nice looking...no doubt dear on the bay.

Must admit I have always been a separates man...but would consider something like that now. However it would be less than accurate to say the UK has not embraced the Receiver as many homes have AV Receivers.

Regards D S D L

Barry
22-10-2009, 22:09

Fisher 500 - C

Fisher always were a cut above the rest of the US tuners, especially the valve gear.

Don't know what has happened to them - were they bought by the Harman group? I seem to remember seeing adverts for Fisher gear on UK TV about ten years ago. No doubt badge-engineered Japanese gear. Have no idea if it was particularly good.

Regards

The Grand Wazoo
22-10-2009, 22:46
Thats nice looking...no doubt dear on the bay.

Must admit I have always been a separates man...but would consider something like that now. However it would be less than accurate to say the UK has not embraced the Receiver as many homes have AV Receivers.

Regards D S D L

I see your point Neil, but I don't think Andre was expecting any of us to give him a list of AV receivers in reply to his post.

AV receivers are probably viewed by the UK average (stereo) hi-fi nut in the same way as stereo receivers were viewed back when the US, Japan & Europe were treating them as seriously as seperates.

Spectral Morn
22-10-2009, 22:56
I see your point Neil, but I don't think Andre was expecting any of us to give him a list of AV receivers in reply to his post.

AV receivers are probably viewed by the UK average (stereo) hi-fi nut in the same way as stereo receivers were viewed back when the US, Japan & Europe were treating them as seriously as seperates.

I agree, on 2 channel nearly all of them are IMHO crap...AV Receivers that is. I have never heard a good mid 70's Jap or American Receiver...in saying that I have never heard a bad one either...as i have never heard one...except for a Marantz one that sold for £250 a few years ago (can't remember the model) it was okay but not great.

Regards D S D L

jandl100
23-10-2009, 07:27
I just lurv the look of most of these vintage receivers - and one of my plans for the next financial year is to get one or two - not to use, just to look at! :smoking:

jandl100
23-10-2009, 07:56
Oh My Gosh .... look at this humungous Rotel 1603 receiver on eBay at the moment ... 33Kg ... 180wpc ...

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii114/jandl100/Rotel1603receiver.jpg

StanleyB
23-10-2009, 08:10
I have one of them, in pieces:(. A mentally challenged relative damaged it in the 80's and I have never managed to get it up and running again. Some bits are now in a landfill somewhere. Lovely sound and the best receiver ever built IMHO. But when they go faulty, they are near impossible to fix.
I have the service manual somewhere, so if anyone on AoS buys it just let me know if you need servicing info.

Alex_UK
23-10-2009, 10:27
The last one on ebay went for £385 - I wanted to bid but too steep for something I don't need, but my god, what a sexy looking piece of kit - look at the meters on that!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270461241078&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

shane
23-10-2009, 20:44
Has to be a Yamaha for me, preferably a CR1000 circa 1975. Not because they sounded wonderful, cos they didn't, but you will never find a piece of hifi anywhere whose controls feel anywhere close to the silkiness of these things. Definitely the nicest feeling hifi ever made.

Themis
23-10-2009, 21:00
I like Yamaha too. From the early 80s rather. Don't know whether they're considered "vintage" enough, though. ;)

Here's a CR-2040 (click to enlarge)
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_9nOx735x9Oc/Sesv5HOVMCI/AAAAAAAAF8s/jPNKhSbyxic/s400/P1040341.JPG (http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_9nOx735x9Oc/Sesv5HOVMCI/AAAAAAAAF8s/jPNKhSbyxic/s1600-h/P1040341.JPG)

Rare Bird
23-10-2009, 21:18
I like Yamaha too. From the early 80s rather. Don't know whether they're considered "vintage" enough, though. ;)

Here's a CR-2040 (click to enlarge)
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_9nOx735x9Oc/Sesv5HOVMCI/AAAAAAAAF8s/jPNKhSbyxic/s400/P1040341.JPG (http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_9nOx735x9Oc/Sesv5HOVMCI/AAAAAAAAF8s/jPNKhSbyxic/s1600-h/P1040341.JPG)

Demitri that reciever was late 70's, jap models last as long as you getting up in a morning to going to bed

Themis
23-10-2009, 21:25
Demitri that reciever was late 70's, jap models last as long as you getting up in a morning to going to bed
:lol:

The Grand Wazoo
23-10-2009, 23:15
I'm listening to this Yamaha today & every day (among other things).
So big it drips over the edges of the Target TT2.

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/1549/imgp1745y.jpg

Marco
23-10-2009, 23:54
Simply gorgeous, Chris! For me, the top Yamahas from the 70s had a class and sophistication all of their own :)

I'm having a Ron Smith Galaxy aerial fitted to the roof on Monday to supply the Sony. It sounds bloody brilliant now with just one of those naff ribbon indoor jobbies, so I can't wait to hear how it performs on the end of a proper aerial! :cool:

Marco.

P.S I'd lose that cheapo mains block you're using at the side, though... Them be nasty 'tings! ;)

StanleyB
24-10-2009, 08:19
P.S I'd lose that cheapo mains block you're using at the side, though... Them be nasty 'tings! ;)
If they are BSI approved, they are not. It costs in excess of £10K to get one of them designed and approved for use in the UK. Some of the home brews I have seen audio stuff attached to wouldn't pass BSI testing and safety assurance.

The reason I mention any of this is because my good friend Russell Shore designed a number of these mains extension blocks, which were subsequently copied left right and center over the last 15 odd years. Russell and me were going to design a couple of AV specific electrical items after his planned early retirement next year. Unfortunately he was diagnosed in August as being terminally ill and unlikely to make it next Easter. An unsung hero, who during the period of 1995 to about 2002 designed a range of mains sockets, switches, and extension blocks that were sold or used in more than 25% of all retail shops or newly installed electrical wiring installations. Don't be fooled by the looks. Quality is 2nd to none.

Marco
24-10-2009, 08:46
Maybe I was wrong, Stan, but it just looks like a cheapo Maplins/B&Q job to me, which in my experience kill the sound - the ones with neon lights too are the worst.

It's no big deal really, as Chris was probably only using it for convenience due to a shortage of mains sockets near where his kit is :)

Everyone knows my views on this subject - the best mains block is no mains block (hard-wire everything and use a dedicated spur), but if a mains block must be used then try and use one that's been specifically designed for hi-fi purposes, which has top quality sockets, internal wiring, mains flex and plug as part of the design.

Marco.

SteveW
24-10-2009, 09:58
Simply gorgeous, Chris! For me, the top Yamahas from the 70s had a class and sophistication all of their own :)

I'm having a Ron Smith Galaxy aerial fitted to the roof on Monday to supply the Sony. It sounds bloody brilliant now with just one of those naff ribbon indoor jobbies, so I can't wait to hear how it performs on the end of a proper aerial! :cool:

Marco.

Hey Marco...well done on getting a Ron Smith. Is it new?
Bloody big though... mine is loft mounted..and is a massive attic, but fills up a big chunk of it. Big difference to the signal strenth though. I'd had two other aerials fitted to the chimney, but the signal strength from the galaxy in the attic is much much better.

Rare Bird
24-10-2009, 10:00
I have one of these, i just rewired it in Belden fully sheilded/foiled mains cable with drain wire & Mk silver pin toughplug..

http://www.stoneaudio.co.uk/resources/products/image1/olsonmdb.jpg

The Grand Wazoo
24-10-2009, 10:02
Actually, this photo was taken just after we'd moved into this house. That was the stop-gap system, thrown together in 5 minutes. I don't expect I could even find that gang of four to check what it was.

The receiver, however, cost less than £80 including postage.
What do a second-hand Nad 3020 & a reasonable budget tuner go for?
I know which I'd prefer.

Marco
24-10-2009, 10:11
Hey Marco...well done on getting a Ron Smith. Is it new?
Bloody big though... mine is loft mounted..and is a massive attic, but fills up a big chunk of it. Big difference to the signal strenth though. I'd had two other aerials fitted to the chimney, but the signal strength from the galaxy in the attic is much much better.

Hi Steve,

No it's not new - I had it left over from when I moved down from Glasgow but had never got round to assembling it and having it fitted.

Yes it is bloody huge; in fact I'm not sure if it's going to be too big for the chimney we have, or indeed just liable to look rather too out of place on our period house... We shall see how it goes :)

If it doesn't work out I'll get something else that's more practical, but as good as possible.

Marco.

Marco
24-10-2009, 10:22
I have one of these, i just rewired it in Belden fully sheilded/foiled mains cable with drain wire & Mk silver pin toughplug..

Nice one, Andre - that's just the ticket :)

A good mains block needn't cost a fortune; in fact if you know what you're doing you can build your own. The secret, as usual, is to use good quality parts, and to take care with the assembly.

Marco.

DSJR
24-10-2009, 11:03
If you live close enough to a transmitter you really dont NEED a Galaxie (Ron's words, as he did all our installations when I worked in London and Harpenden, as well as the bigger Northampton ones).

The Galaxie tends to "point" at the transmitter and if you want to pick up all sorts, you really need a rotator. The Orion 8 and 9 are more than sufficient for most decent tuners. It was only the insensitive and initially not very selective Naim 01 that *needed* an aerial with high degrees of sideband rejection to prevent "birdies" on the sound...

I hope someone takes over Ron's aerial business when he finally does retire (he's got to be in his late seventies now at least). His aerials are amazingly good IMO, but don't think you HAVE to have a Galaxie jobbie in the UK, 'cos you don't "really" unless you're in a dreadful reception area (I have an insensitive Quad FM3 in use at the moment and i dare not tell you the crud on our chimney which still works fine though.......)

DSJR
24-10-2009, 11:10

Ah, but it's cased in metal (ferrous?) and this affects the electron flow (or summat, according to Denis Morecroft who went over to plastic casework decades ago ;))

All I've found with cheaper mains blocks is that they may need replacing every couple of years or so. Disconnecting them, opening them up and gently squeezing the socket tabs together to improve connection, gets round Naim's idea of floating pins as well.

Seriously, the blocks with very chunky mains cables are quite ok for general audio use, although I very much like and respect Marco's solution, as I also do the "Hydra" idea, although it may be tricky to trim the leads to correct length...

Marco's worst nightmare :lol:

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q8/DSJR_photos/DSCF0524.jpg http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q8/DSJR_photos/DSCF0525.jpg

There's another RS IEC block underneath, which has the power amps connected to it...

Marco
24-10-2009, 18:14
LOL - Dave; trust me I've seen much worse! I can see elements of organisation amongst the chaos ;)

Why have you chosen such bloody long mains leads, though?

Marco.

P.S Love the gold tassel curtain tiebacks - a most elegant touch :eyebrows:

Rare Bird
24-10-2009, 18:26
LOL - Dave; trust me I've seen much worse! I can see elements of organisation amongst the chaos ;)

Why have you chosen such bloody long mains leads, though?

Well if they were RATA Mains kables the longer the better ;)

Marco
24-10-2009, 18:48
But they ain't, gringo! :)

Do you use Kimber mains leads?

Marco.

DSJR
24-10-2009, 18:51
I hate cutting captive mains leads to length, but I have tried to keep the well screened signal wires away from them (it doesn't show, but the mains wires are a good few inches away..

What's the old addage - do as I say, not as I do...

Marco
24-10-2009, 19:15
LOL - is that an 'IF device' I can spy there too on the bottom shelf? :eyebrows:

Marco.

Rare Bird
24-10-2009, 19:23
But they ain't, gringo! :)

Do you use Kimber mains leads?

Marco.

Me? Never :)

Marco
24-10-2009, 19:33
I thought they were your fav cables, and RA was your hero? :eyebrows: ;)

Marco.

DSJR
24-10-2009, 19:35
LOL - is that an 'IF device' I can spy there too on the bottom shelf? :eyebrows:

Marco.

Oh yes, you know "I'm a believer...:)" :lolsign:

It used to live on the Dual, in the recess above the centre trim, but now I've "upgraded" to a spongey ring, it must have fallen down the back...

Rare Bird
24-10-2009, 20:15
I thought they were your fav cables, and RA was your hero? :eyebrows: ;)

Marco.

:lolsign:

SteveW
25-10-2009, 16:05
If you live close enough to a transmitter you really dont NEED a Galaxie (Ron's words, as he did all our installations when I worked in London and Harpenden, as well as the bigger Northampton ones).

The Galaxie tends to "point" at the transmitter and if you want to pick up all sorts, you really need a rotator. The Orion 8 and 9 are more than sufficient for most decent tuners. It was only the insensitive and initially not very selective Naim 01 that *needed* an aerial with high degrees of sideband rejection to prevent "birdies" on the sound...

I hope someone takes over Ron's aerial business when he finally does retire (he's got to be in his late seventies now at least). His aerials are amazingly good IMO, but don't think you HAVE to have a Galaxie jobbie in the UK, 'cos you don't "really" unless you're in a dreadful reception area (I have an insensitive Quad FM3 in use at the moment and i dare not tell you the crud on our chimney which still works fine though.......)

Interesting..
Don't think Marco and I live in an area (Cheshire/North Wales)where the signal is 'bad' as such (from Bolton I believe)...but with a couple of standard chmney mounted ariels (one was one of those 'circular' ones, the other quite a largish conventional FM one) my Linn Kremlin never got a signal greater than 26 db according to the built in meter. The sound was 'OK'...but if you whacked the volume up you could hear hiss..
After rigging up the galaxy in the loft, I was getting 56+ db, and it made a BIG difference, especially in hifi terms.
I suspect the Orion may well have got those 56 db available.. but its good to overkill here I reckon. I would love to try it on the chimney, but the wife has other ideas. Oerrr matron.
I had gone for the Galaxy after I discovered that Ron was still selling his aerial's ...his daughter helping run the business...and also after a guy at Linn had said he seemed to recall getting 70+db to his Kremlin years ago, made me realise I wasn't getting what I should have been.

DSJR
25-10-2009, 17:34
OK, fair do's. As long as you realise the Galaxie (how Ron spelled it) "points" at the transmitter and suppresses waves hitting it from the sides rather more than the Orion does..

Ron still makes the best aerials in the business as far as I'm concerned (I understand he had his engineering grounding in Radar in the late forties/early fifties IIRC).

One other thing from Ron - In his opinion, it's always better to have too strong a signal and attenuate it, than too weak a signal and boost it, as all the interferance gets boosted too. Wise words I reckon.

SteveW
25-10-2009, 17:49
OK, fair do's. As long as you realise the Galaxie (how Ron spelled it) "points" at the transmitter and suppresses waves hitting it from the sides rather more than the Orion does..

Ron still makes the best aerials in the business as far as I'm concerned (I understand he had his engineering grounding in Radar in the late forties/early fifties IIRC).

One other thing from Ron - In his opinion, it's always better to have too strong a signal and attenuate it, than too weak a signal and boost it, as all the interferance gets boosted too. Wise words I reckon.
mmm...I wonder then, if the Orion would be better suited to a loft location?

Not sure what it all means !!

DSJR
25-10-2009, 17:53
Maybe, maybe not. If you have the Galaxie and it's working right, I'd leave the bloomin' thing alone ;)

Back in the 70's and probably in the south east, there were people who used rotators and attempted to pick up all sorts of stations far and wide and that is where the larger Galaxies with rotators came in.. These days, there's probably not much about to search for....................

SteveW
25-10-2009, 18:01
Yeah...the thought of dismantling that bugger is distressing. However, there is a part of me that is very tempted to get another of Ron's whilst one can. (sort of planning a house move in a few years)

By the way...I for one really believe that this so called cut off date for turning off FM in 2015 is a load of twaddle. There is still no sign that digital signals for car users has improved in coverage, and until that happens FM plays too important a role in my humble view.