PDA

View Full Version : The Hateful Eight

Clive197
12-01-2016, 14:14
Watched The Hateful Eight on Sunday. Very slow start, like cooking a stew, cook slowly and let it get flavoursome. The true definition of a Pot Boiler. Kept my attention even though 90% of the film is set in one room. Funny, Political, dramatic and violent, just what you always get from a Tarantino film.

hifi_dave
12-01-2016, 14:34
Trying to persuade my Wife to see this with me. I just lurve anything Tarantino.

Tim
12-01-2016, 17:43
'The Hateful Eight' - saw it last night, absolutely superb and classic Tarantino. Can't wait to see it again, as I always feel you find more in his films, with repeated viewings.

Great performance's from all, but especially Samuel L and Walton Goggins. Best film I have seen in awhile.

Anthony K
13-01-2016, 10:06
Love Tarantino , but must say I thought Django was a heap of ka-ka ,Pulp fiction I could leave on repeat for months.
Glad you are giving it great reviews , I was worried Tarry had burnt out

Floyddroid
14-01-2016, 23:01
Can't stand Tarentino. I hate his movies, just not my cup of tea. However, i was lucky enough to hear the soundtrack this afternoon and it is bloody fantastic.

Zoidburg
15-01-2016, 11:37
I will admit to watching it "online" over Christmas and thought it was pretty good (screener season), good enough that last weekend I saw it in the cinema. Enjoyed it far more the 2nd time round. Jackson and Scroggins are excellent in it and the score was great too, for a film set almost entirely in 1 room it benefits from being seen on a big screen. I still think that Jackie Brown is Tarantino's best though.

Gazjam
20-04-2016, 08:46
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3460252/ (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3460252/)

Tarantinio's latest and (not) greatest, was enjoyable enough but firmly in the bottom half of his movies for me..which I guess makes it better than most.
A great cast, Kurt Russell, Tim Roth, Sam L.J. (naturally..) and a standout gig by Jennifer Jason Leigh.
Shot in 70mm it looks gorgeous and the score by Ennio Morricone is his best for a while.

The opening sequence is the most cinematic thing I've seen in years:

The "less than good" unfortunately outweigh's the good.
Peppered with the usual sharp Tarantino dialogue and a few standout moments it's enjoyable enough, but to me even thats starting to get a little cliche'd.
First 2/3rds of the film are dialogue setting up the characters, the "payoff" is in the final act.
Good idea but overly long and could have done with a good half hour trimmed off.
Also, not enough WTF moments like some of his other films to make it stand out, though the ones that are there are good.

Well worth a watch though as Tarantino on a bad day is better than most on a good day. 7/10

An interesting story...
Martin Guitars loaned the film company a very rare 145 year old Martin acoustic from their museum and there's a scene where Jennifer Jason Leigh is playing it.
In the script Kurt Russell takes it off her and smashes it off the wall, which he did...unaware it wasn't a prop replica and was actually the real thing.
Apparently He never got the word that the scene would be cut and the "invaluable historical artifact" was to be replaced by a replica!

You can tell by her scream and look of horror on Jennifer Jason Leigh's face (She ALMOST breaks character) that her reaction is genuine.
Heard the story before I saw the film and was watching out for it.

struth
21-04-2016, 22:32
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3460252/ (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3460252/)

Tarantinio's latest and (not) greatest, was enjoyable enough but firmly in the bottom half of his movies for me..which I guess makes it better than most.
A great cast, Kurt Russell, Tim Roth, Sam L.J. (naturally..) and a standout gig by Jennifer Jason Leigh.
Shot in 70mm it looks gorgeous and the score by Ennio Morricone is his best for a while.

The opening sequence is the most cinematic thing I've seen in years:

The "less than good" unfortunately outweigh's the good.
Peppered with the usual sharp Tarantino dialogue and a few standout moments it's enjoyable enough, but to me even thats starting to get a little cliche'd.
First 2/3rds of the film are dialogue setting up the characters, the "payoff" is in the final act.
Good idea but overly long and could have done with a good half hour trimmed off.
Also, not enough WTF moments like some of his other films to make it stand out, though the ones that are there are good.

Well worth a watch though as Tarantino on a bad day is better than most on a good day. 7/10

An interesting story...
Martin Guitars loaned the film company a very rare 145 year old Martin acoustic from their museum and there's a scene where Jennifer Jason Leigh is playing it.
In the script Kurt Russell takes it off her and smashes it off the wall, which he did...unaware it wasn't a prop replica and was actually the real thing.
Apparently He never got the word that the scene would be cut and the "invaluable historical artifact" was to be replaced by a replica!

You can tell by her scream and look of horror on Jennifer Jason Leigh's face (She ALMOST breaks character) that her reaction is genuine.
Heard the story before I saw the film and was watching out for it.

Must have cost them a few bob, not to mention the embarrassment lol...

Gazjam
22-04-2016, 09:47
Aye! :)

Martin Guitars apparently are now showing the BITS of the guitar in the museum and vowed never to loan their rare guitars out again. :)

Vince
04-08-2016, 00:42
I love this film to bits and wouldn't hesitate to give it a 9/10.