PDA

View Full Version : Congratulations (??) on your promotion

The Grand Wazoo
20-10-2009, 17:49
Er,
Is it just me, or are we now being advertised at?

Marco
20-10-2009, 18:10
Hi Chris,

Yes, we've just introduced Google ads to the site - helps pay the bills ;)

Do the ads look ok on your screen, in terms of being centred properly underneath the banner?

Depending on what monitor you're using, they may be centred properly, or over to the left or right of the banner.

Marco.

Themis
20-10-2009, 18:27
Sorry, I've Adblock installed...:eyebrows:

The Grand Wazoo
20-10-2009, 18:43
Hi Chris,

Yes, we've just introduced Google ads to the site - helps pay the bills ;)

Do the ads look ok on your screen, in terms of being centred properly underneath the banner?

Depending on what monitor you're using, they may be centred properly, or over to the left or right of the banner.

Marco.

Yes, They're placed just as Mr Google would like them to be, I'm sure.
I'm not going to even begin to mention what it does to the content below the banner, but you know that, I'm sure!!!!!

Marco
20-10-2009, 18:50
Scroll, baby, scroll!!! :eyebrows:

;)

Marco.

Cotlake
20-10-2009, 19:01
Yep, scroll baby scroll and certainly they'd look far better at the bottom of the page as on audio talk compared to this. I don't like it but it's not my money so I have no right to say anything further.

Beechwoods
20-10-2009, 19:05
You can always get into the habit of using the 'last unread post' buttons next to any threads with unread posts in them (the blue squares in the picture below, next to the thread title) - clicking that takes you straight to your last unread post in any thread. A lot better than going to the end of the thread and working back.

Then you only have to scroll when you hit the mainpage or 'new posts'.

http://i560.photobucket.com/albums/ss49/aos_images/random_stuff/last_unread_post.jpg

Marco
20-10-2009, 19:05
Point noted, Greg - and I can see where you're coming from :)

Thing is, they have to be prominently positioned so that people are more inclined to click on the ads (this is how we make money), therefore they have to go at the top of the page! :cool:

Marco.

The Grand Wazoo
20-10-2009, 19:52
Oh my God!!
Now it's trying to sell me a bleedin' Frank Zappa - Lumpy Gravy T-shirt!!

Google thinks AoS is a site devoted to Zappa!!
That Google Spider's seen 'The Grand Wazoo' written thousands of times on here & it's come back to spank me, the little tinker!

(I hate adverts!)

StanleyB
21-10-2009, 08:52
No google probs here. Didn't even know about them snooping on AoS until I read this post.

REM
21-10-2009, 10:28
Another vote for AdblockPlus;)

The Grand Wazoo
31-03-2010, 16:37
Well, I swear some fella posted a new thread about this subject late last night/early this morning & I swear DSJR replied to it this morning.

Am I too thick to find it?
Did I dream it all?
Or has it been lost somehow?
Or......has it been removed because the little tinker who posted it contavened some sort of protocol/rule/law or part of the forum Ethos that wasn't there yesterday?

If it's the latter, then I expect that said little tinker would've liked to have been informed of the reason for the action - especially as that particular tinker was trying to do some good for the site owners (or so I heard).

.........good manners 'n' all that, y'know?

Themis
31-03-2010, 16:44
Delete him. He used the word tinker three times. :lol:

Marco
31-03-2010, 17:39
Hi Chris,

There's an explanation next to the deletion on the Abstract Chat thread index :)

Also, Steve should've sent you a PM to explain the situation properly. Has he not done this?

Marco.

The Grand Wazoo
31-03-2010, 18:27
Hi Marco,

Hi Chris,

There's an explanation next to the deletion on the Abstract Chat thread index :)

Whezzat den? Can't find it.

Also, Steve should've sent you a PM to explain the situation properly. Has he not done this?

Nope!

Marco
31-03-2010, 18:34
Scroll down to your old thread 'Support Your Local Hi-Fi Forum', listed in the Abstract Chat index here:

http://theartofsound.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10

...where you will find this:

Thread deleted by Steve Toy
Reason: Any sudden increase in clicking activity or even the existence of this thread could see our google account suspended

:)

He should've also sent you a follow-up PM, so I'll boot his botty for you ;)

Marco.

Mark Grant
31-03-2010, 18:43
We dont see that Marco, members cant see all the secret stuff that Administrators and moderators can see .:eyebrows:

The Grand Wazoo
31-03-2010, 18:49
Scroll down to your old thread 'Support Your Local Hi-Fi Forum', listed in the Abstract Chat index here:

http://theartofsound.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10

I clicked your link & got the same list of threads I got when I looked myself earlier - no thread called 'Support your local.......'

Therefore, no sign of:

Thread deleted by Steve Toy
Reason: Any sudden increase in clicking activity or even the existence of this thread could see our google account suspended

Once threads have been deleted we riff-raff don't see them - only mod/admin folk, no?

DSJR
31-03-2010, 19:10
There was a link to a UK supplier of little rubber-gel feet for a very reasonable sum -

www.audioserenity.co.uk.

Looks good and reasonable prices for them IMO..

I wouldn't have noticed it had I not had a gentle nudge.. So there!

The Grand Wazoo
31-03-2010, 19:22
Ok Marco, Steve & those others to whom it was of concern.
I now understand.
Sincere and public apologies for placing your opportunity in jeopardy.

I discussed this with Nick last night, although come to think of it, I never got a reply to my last PM, so he may not have read it before I posted the thread. As I never got a 'No, no, for gawd's sake don't do that', I assumed it would be OK.

Beechwoods
31-03-2010, 20:44
I'm sorry about that Chris :( I'd knocked off for the night before I got your second PM - the one responding to my 'what'cha thinking?' question on the subject of how the banner ads worked... sorry it put you in a slightly embarrassing position, but we all know your heart was in absolutely the right place.

Keep the ideas coming, mate :)

The Grand Wazoo
31-03-2010, 20:58
You don't need to apologise Nick, I acted too quickly & I'm sorry if I put you in an awkward 'position' by doing so.

Steve Toy
01-04-2010, 01:12
Sorry I didn't message you Chris. From my Blackberry I can do the following:

I can post
I can delete posts/threads
I can reply to private messages

I cannot start a thread
I cannot send a pm that isn't a reply.

I guess I could have booted up the computer and done it but by the time I'd got around to that I'd forgotten to write to you.

The Grand Wazoo
01-04-2010, 06:39
Sorry I didn't message you Chris.

S'OK Steve,
I'll survive