PDA

View Full Version : R.I.P David Bowie

British high fidelity
11-01-2016, 07:00
The legend Mr David Bowie has died so so sad, rest in peace brother, you will be so so deeply missed

StanleyB
11-01-2016, 07:07
Yet another great master has passed away. News just coming in.

archiesdad
11-01-2016, 07:23
Just heard, 18 month battle with cancer ended last night, may be a release. RIP.

Floyddroid
11-01-2016, 07:43
Some breaking news you just don't want to hear and the passing of David Bowie is one of them. I am very sad indeed to hear that this legend and icon has been stolen from us. Rest easy Ziggy. You and mick will be jamming in heaven this day. X:deceased:

goraman
11-01-2016, 07:48
Sucks!
Cancer!
Died at 69

RobbieGong
11-01-2016, 07:53
Blimey a shock !! My sister just texted me to ask if I knew ... cancer again :(

Marco
11-01-2016, 07:59
Yeah, that is extremely sad news and a massive shock... I didn't even know he was ill :(

I was (am) a big fan of his music, and in fact was only last night listening to this:

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1024x768q90/911/oTpUxq.jpg (https://imageshack.com/i/pboTpUxqj)

He was a true music legend, and one of the genuine greats, possessing a unique ability to successfully reinvent himself, musically, and also his image, throughout the years. Time to spin some Space Oddity, me thinks, and later Ziggy Stardust.

RIP David.

Marco.

jollyfix
11-01-2016, 08:09
Sad news, i will be playing some Bowie today. Mods please combine all the Bowie threads .

Tim
11-01-2016, 08:17
Devastated, I have no words :(

RIP David

Bazil
11-01-2016, 08:21
To be so ill and yet still produce a brilliant piece of work , incredible , very sad news. RIP.

Tim
11-01-2016, 08:30
Blackstar is an outstanding album, spent most of Friday playing it - such a loss.

goraman
11-01-2016, 09:00
Steve ,Mick is not dead.
In response to post #2.
But knowing there relationship I'm certain he is sad right now.

Tim
11-01-2016, 09:04
I believe Steve means Mick Ronson who died in 93

Spectral Morn
11-01-2016, 09:06
Very sad news :(

goraman
11-01-2016, 09:07
Oh, that Mick.
Never mind...
Any way Rest in peace to both of them.

Audio Al
11-01-2016, 09:17
Sad Sad Sad :(

British high fidelity
11-01-2016, 09:27
The man who literally SOULED the world, RIP Ziggy

anthonyTD
11-01-2016, 09:29
Very sad to hear this news when i woke this morning, genuinely brought a tear to my eye, :(
An exceptional talent, and a master at re-inventing himself throughout his career, from my earliest childhood memories, his music has been with me.
RIP. David.
A...

walpurgis
11-01-2016, 09:34
Yet another great master has passed away. News just coming in.

What a blow. That is such sad news. Possibly the greatest innovator in rock and a huge influence across music.

struth
11-01-2016, 09:34
I was a fan of some of his stuff like the Ziggy era and even heros. I didnt get all of it though.. Glad i have a few of his albums as they will go through the roof now i guess.
Hope he is singing Ziggy to the angels

The Black Adder
11-01-2016, 10:15
VERY sad to hear... I'm really quite upset, one of my biggest heroes.

RIP David (Starman) Bowie.

RichB
11-01-2016, 10:31
David Bowie - Because of him, no karaoke was ever safe from me.

RIP Duke.

twotone
11-01-2016, 10:34
Rip David.

Stunned this morning.

The soundtrack of my youth was provided by Bowie.

Condolences to his family and friends.

Tim
11-01-2016, 11:04
I'm really quite upset, one of my biggest heroes.
Ditto

Zoidburg
11-01-2016, 11:06
I was shocked at the news of his passing this morning, I don't mind admitting I've shed a tear or 2. I saw him live on his last tour before he retired and he was stunning..... very sad day indeed.

mikmas
11-01-2016, 11:19
Quite a shock - I thought he was immortal ...

The Man who Fell to Earth indeed; RIP Ziggy

struth
11-01-2016, 11:21
Eil.com are quick off the mark.... Sent me an email offering Bowie momorabelia and records etc ..first one nearly a grand...:doh: they dont let the grass grow under their feet do they

British high fidelity
11-01-2016, 11:26
I'm still in shock his albums truly got me through some of my darkest days, no one will ever come close to him, a true legend

The Black Adder
11-01-2016, 11:41
Eil.com are quick off the mark.... Sent me an email offering Bowie momorabelia and records etc ..first one nearly a grand...:doh: they dont let the grass grow under their feet do they

I really hate that... saying that, I never buy from EIL. I think some of the stuff they sell is stupidly expensive.

ff1d1l
11-01-2016, 11:41
A sad day:(

British high fidelity
11-01-2016, 11:58
The man who fell to earth is now a star man gone to a life on mars with major tom, he will always be a hero ashes to ashes we know major toms a junkie but today planet earth's blue so put on your red shoes and dance ...... Truly the end of an era!!!

mikmas
11-01-2016, 12:07
Love this anecdote (from Wiki)

---
Some controversy arose in the UK when fellow RCA act The Sweet's issued "Block Buster!", utilising a riff very similar to "The Jean Genie". Sweet's single, written by Mike Chapman and Nicky Chinn, and recorded and released slightly later than Bowie's song, made No. 1 in the UK charts while "The Jean Genie" was still in the Top 10. All parties maintained that the similarity was, in Nicky Chinn's words, "absolute coincidence". Chinn described a meeting with Bowie at which the latter "looked at me completely deadpan and said 'Cunt!' And then he got up and gave me a hug and said, 'Congratulations...' "
---

Reffc
11-01-2016, 12:23
RIP David. One of the true musical icons of our generation sadly gone.

Sales of Black Star are set to break records (no pun intended) and vinyl sales in some parts are already sold out.

Anthony K
11-01-2016, 12:44
Probably the most talented songwriter to emerge from Britain and a South Londoner to boot
I admit to letting a few tears loose , feels like someone has stolen a period of my teens , and only 69

The Black Adder
11-01-2016, 13:36
Probably the most talented songwriter to emerge from Britain and a South Londoner to boot
I admit to letting a few tears loose , feels like someone has stolen a period of my teens , and only 69

+1 I've always known him in my life, his music really meant something to me and his evolving characters seemed so enigmatic. I was only 1 years old when Ziggy came out and once I found him in my early teens back in the 80's it was such a big thing for me. Such an amazing person, super daring.

His contribution to Iggy Pop, Lou Reed etc was also brilliant.

Been spinning his LP's all morning... now listening to Space Oddity... again!

goraman
12-01-2016, 05:49
Big tributes all day here in the states.
The radio has been playing Bowie all day and talking about his life's achievements.
He was loved and respected more than he would ever have known.

The Black Adder
12-01-2016, 06:45
It was the same here Jeff... BBC Radio 2 & 6 were 100% Bowie. TV channels were also dominated. Last evening their was a special broadcast playing his BBC sessions which are astoundingly good.

goraman
12-01-2016, 08:04
It was the same here Jeff... BBC Radio 2 & 6 were 100% Bowie. TV channels were also dominated. Last evening their was a special broadcast playing his BBC sessions which are astoundingly good.
Josie,
I have not slept much the last 2 days been listening to music with headphones and spending some time on line.
I am an insomniac at times for no real good reasons and when I get like this second day in, emotions can seem a little disproportionate so I don't know if it's lack of sleep or having followed his musical carrier since Mott The Hoople and All the Young Dudes one of my first 10 LP's as a kid. I had odd tastes in music always, and Bowie was always a big part of my collection over the years.
I listened to songs like Absolute Beginners, Under pressure , Blue Jeans , Rebel Rebel, Across the universe and felt a terrible sense of loss.
Because his music was always Bowie and unmistakable no matter what decade or what in his life was inspiring him.
He gave us that would listen, his perspective,fantasy's, and even his oddest thoughts unfiltered.
Right up to his death.
How close can you be to someone you have never met?
How often dose someone let you into there head and heart?
He was truly odd,open, different and comfortable with himself.
I have not only heard every album he has made but listened to them,truly listened.
David Bowie lived his life his way and invited us along for the ride all the way to the end of it.
I am truly felling a sense of loss for some one I have never met, but have known well for most of my very near 50 years.
It's an odd thing to process and even odder to profess.
His music will always be with us, but there will never be another David Bowie, He was truly an artist in every sense and in some ways redefines that very word.
Someone once said "you don't realize a great moment till it becomes a favorite memory" I didn't realize the full impact his music had on my life,or the connection with the artist till it had silenced.
God Rest his Soul.
And may his family find peace in such a difficult time.

The Black Adder
12-01-2016, 09:28
Josie,
I have not slept much the last 2 days been listening to music with headphones and spending some time on line.
I am an insomniac at times for no real good reasons and when I get like this second day in, emotions can seem a little disproportionate so I don't know if it's lack of sleep or having followed his musical carrier since Mott The Hoople and All the Young Dudes one of my first 10 LP's as a kid. I had odd tastes in music always, and Bowie was always a big part of my collection over the years.
I listened to songs like Absolute Beginners, Under pressure , Blue Jeans , Rebel Rebel, Across the universe and felt a terrible sense of loss.
Because his music was always Bowie and unmistakable no matter what decade or what in his life was inspiring him.
He gave us that would listen, his perspective,fantasy's, and even his oddest thoughts unfiltered.
Right up to his death.
How close can you be to someone you have never met?
How often dose someone let you into there head and heart?
He was truly odd,open, different and comfortable with himself.
I have not only heard every album he has made but listened to them,truly listened.
David Bowie lived his life his way and invited us along for the ride all the way to the end of it.
I am truly felling a sense of loss for some one I have never met, but have known well for most of my very near 50 years.
It's an odd thing to process and even odder to profess.
His music will always be with us, but there will never be another David Bowie, He was truly an artist in every sense and in some ways redefines that very word.
Someone once said "you don't realize a great moment till it becomes a favorite memory" I didn't realize the full impact his music had on my life,or the connection with the artist till it had silenced.
God Rest his Soul.
And may his family find peace in such a difficult time.

I totally agree. It feels like I actually knew him personally... but with all great artists who live and breath their work, we all probably did know him to a great extent. An extent that is much more profound than we ever knew.

He was a big part of my life even though I only started listening to him seriously in the 1980's when I was around 9/10 years old. The first album I heard was Hunkydory at a friends house and I found it totally fascinating. Ziggy was next for me but one of my all time favorites which I remember fondly was Ashes to Ashes because my father bought a new hifi and that was one of the first tracks I heard on the radio. To then see that most amazing video on Top of the Pops blew me away.

The thing is, he was visual as well as audible. His changes, re-inventions over the years moved me on to other styles and confirmed to me that change brings discovery. That is something record companies hate, but that's why he made such a profound statement. Every other band I've known hone in on doing obeying the contracts, he didn't do that... that is what made him so very special to me, he introduced people to the zeitgeist of life. For lots it was too much, but for some like me it was a breath of fresh air. He embraced all genres of music like paint on a canvas.

He really showed me that being different is in every sense perfectly normal and perfectly human. To slip away from the ideal of modern society and live how you want to live. Open for ridicule, sure... but the byproduct of ridicule is the ability to see true colours of people to which is good to know in life.

I'm just glad we all can enjoy his music and for future generations to read through his progression and feed from it. David Bowie was the all encompassing and ever changing genius.

I'm so glad that his music is being played in the states and all over the world. It feels like he's brought us all that little bit closer to one another.

Macca
12-01-2016, 13:13
I've re-opened this thread as it seems to have been locked accidentally.

surv1v0r
12-01-2016, 14:07
I am staggered at the uncritical media adulation that David Bowie has been getting since his death.
Quite aside from the allegations about him and "Baby Groupies", does anyone actually still listen to his music?

ps - don't get me wrong, I have half a dozen of his early albums. The actual disks are in excellent condition, if the covers hadn't long since been ruined by getting soaked in spilt beer, tea and coffee I would have had them on eBay yesterday ;)

goraman
12-01-2016, 14:24
Wow! young girls throwing them selves at Rock stars, that's never happened in history, that's really shocking.
I would not be happy if I where the girls parents,but I am not going to Demonize someone for possibly,maybe, allegedly doing something stupid 30 years ago after there dead .
Yes, I still enjoy David Bowie's music.

Tim
12-01-2016, 17:40
. . . does anyone actually still listen to his music?
I think you need to pop your head outside that cave you are living in old bean ;)

Haselsh1
12-01-2016, 18:59
Kind of been in a bit of shock for the last twenty four hours or so. I remember 1972 so well as I was thirteen and had just rediscovered music thanks to Ziggy Stardust, Brian Eno laden Roxy Music and early Rod Stewart. Oh how I pity the poor youngsters of today. I don't wonder they mess with smart phones and other such ridiculous items.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p03f8qql

surv1v0r
12-01-2016, 19:17
<SNIP> Oh how I pity the poor youngsters of today. I don't wonder they mess with smart phones and other such ridiculous items.Why pity the "poor youngsters of today"? They probably listen to and have ready access to far more music than was the case in the 1970s. You may pity them for the monotonous nature of the music to which they choose to listen but surely not to its availability?

You mention Brian Eno, I have copies of both his Instrumental and Vocal Box sets, quite fantastic! His music deserves far more attention than it gets - but then he isn't a fashion icon.

I am still puzzled at the fuss that has been made over Bowie's music, I can't recall anything like the same fuss being mad when Frank Zappa dies and he was far more experimental than Bowie - again, not a fashion icon.

goraman
12-01-2016, 20:04
I am surprised Andre(Prog Master) has not posted , I seem to remember him likeing Bowie.

guy
12-01-2016, 21:38
I am still puzzled at the fuss that has been made over Bowie's music, I can't recall anything like the same fuss being mad when Frank Zappa dies and he was far more experimental than Bowie - again, not a fashion icon.

Or perhaps its down to Bowie being more influential musically?

Sorry, wrong time and place for a debate. Just accept that there is, quite rightly, a sense of a great loss.

Tim
12-01-2016, 21:43
Sorry, wrong time and place for a debate. Just accept that there is, quite rightly, a sense of a great loss.
+1

Indeed, there are times when if you have nothing good to say, it's better to say nothing at all - this is one of those times.

Stratmangler
12-01-2016, 21:48
+1

Indeed, there are times when if you have nothing good to say, it's better to say nothing at all - this is one of those times.

I fully agree with you Tim.

mikmas
13-01-2016, 01:22
Bowie's fanbase is huge and spans all boundaries, something that was very clear listening to all the texts and emails sent in to Radio 6 and others yesterday.

My daughter was in tears when she heard - and she has just turned 19 (I didn't even know she was such a big fan)
One of her all time favourite bands is Metallica but she was also quite upset to hear of Lemmy's death ... goes to show how lasting a music legacy can be.

Haselsh1
13-01-2016, 10:34
Why pity the "poor youngsters of today"? They probably listen to and have ready access to far more music than was the case in the 1970s. You may pity them for the monotonous nature of the music to which they choose to listen but surely not to its availability?

You mention Brian Eno, I have copies of both his Instrumental and Vocal Box sets, quite fantastic! His music deserves far more attention than it gets - but then he isn't a fashion icon.

Back in 1972/1973 Brian Eno was exactly that, a fashion icon as well as a synthmeister. I am grieving for Bowie simply because I feel that I have just lost my youth and therefore one of the most important times in my life.

pjdowns
13-01-2016, 16:08
I am staggered at the uncritical media adulation that David Bowie has been getting since his death.
Quite aside from the allegations about him and "Baby Groupies", does anyone actually still listen to his music?

ps - don't get me wrong, I have half a dozen of his early albums. The actual disks are in excellent condition, if the covers hadn't long since been ruined by getting soaked in spilt beer, tea and coffee I would have had them on eBay yesterday ;)

Your comments are not only ignorant but also bad timed and disappointing. I for one have never liked all of David Bowie's music but he was a great and inspirational artist and think it's a little disrespectful your commenting like this on an RIP thread.

Spectral Morn
13-01-2016, 17:47
Your comments are not only ignorant but also bad timed and disappointing. I for one have never liked all of David Bowie's music but he was a great and inspirational artist and think it's a little disrespectful your commenting like this on an RIP thread.

+ 1

Barry
13-01-2016, 19:09

+2!

You are entitled to your opinion, but there is a time and a place - this RIP thread is neither.

The Black Adder
13-01-2016, 19:18
+4 Keep it respectful.

Marco
13-01-2016, 20:47
Wot happened to +3? :scratch:

;)

Marco.

The Black Adder
13-01-2016, 20:50
lol... +3 is so passe.

Marco