PDA

View Full Version : Hello

robbo145
10-01-2016, 22:49
Hi, Got back into "Hi-FI" over the past year or so. Acquired a very nice Teac 500 reference setup from my dad. Parents had moved recently and never set it back up. Told him my interest in buying a good value quality setup from back in the day and he offered it me.
Got the A-H500 amplifier and PD-H500 cd player playing through a pair of Castle Clifton 2 bookshelf speakers. Tuner, cassette and minidisc safely stored in the loft.
Did go through his vinyl collection and pick out 50-100 albums dating from 60's to late 80's so this warranted buying a turntable with the funds saved from not buy the above equipment. I decided on a new turntable after watching values of vintage tables on ebay. After being impressed with quality of the current setup I went with the new Teac TN-300.
The latest addition is a Raspberry PI 2 with iqaudio pi-dac+ running Moode-Audio to stream my digital music collection. This is how I came across the forum.
As a forty something I have played with most formats. Started listening and playing my parents vinyl collection as a child then as a young teenager buying my own cassettes and then cd's. Early nineties it was back to vinyl and the dance music boom for me and then back to cd's and of course more recently digital formats.
I listen and enjoy most genres.
Thing that about covers it ;)

walpurgis
10-01-2016, 23:24
Hello Ian. Welcome to AOS.

So you've recently got back into Hi-Fi. When did you first get interested and what did you have back then?

There's a big following for vintage gear here. Do you have any interest in it?

You'll be in good company if you use a Raspberry Pi. They're popular here (I personally don't even know what one of those is --- I'm 'old school')

Enjoy the forum,
Geoff.

Bigman80
10-01-2016, 23:25
Welcome, I am starting to feel the need for a streaming device and am currently looking at raspberry Pi as an option. I'd be interested to hear your opinion and experience with it

I'm into mainly music with guitars in. That's the best way to describe it. I accept it in any format but my heart loves vinyl. I love the clarity of 24/96 but for musicality I don't think you can beat vinyl.

Welcome to the forum [emoji106]