PDA

View Full Version : HMV shit records

karma67
10-01-2016, 17:24
ive bought 4 records over 2 weekends, 2 out of the 4 i had to return,same problem with both,they wont slide out of the sleeve you have to pull them out with your fingers.when they come out they are scratched to buggery.when i returned back to the store for a replacement both times i have opened up the album in front of staff and each time the replacement was the same so refunded twice. :steam:

Marco
10-01-2016, 17:57
Nightmare... Personally, I don't even entertain using those horrible cheap paper sleeves. I simply gently tear them open, or cut them open down one side, just to access the record, thereby preventing any need to pull it out, risking scratching, and just discard them afterwards and use a proper MoFi bag, or whatever :)

Marco.

Bigman80
10-01-2016, 18:26
Snap. I have bought stone roses and led Zeppelin from HMV recently and they have been fine but they have picture inner sleeves. Sound great too. LED ZEP IV is remastered from the original tapes by Jimmy page. Loverly

Haselsh1
10-01-2016, 18:46
Yeah, godda agree with you both on this one. Polyester sleeves every time for me from Analogue Seduction. I bloody hate those cardy things that just don't let the bloody vinyl come out. Infuriating...!

Haselsh1
10-01-2016, 18:47
Snap. I have bought stone roses and led Zeppelin from HMV recently and they have been fine but they have picture inner sleeves. Sound great too. LED ZEP IV is remastered from the original tapes by Jimmy page. Loverly

Was wondering what Led IV sounded like and whether it was worth buying. Bought Led I and Led II.

Bigman80
10-01-2016, 19:16
It sounds good to me, I haven't heard an 1st pressing so I can't compare but it's very nice

Bigman80
10-01-2016, 19:16
Was wondering what Led IV sounded like and whether it was worth buying. Bought Led I and Led II.

From HMV or first pressings ?

karma67
10-01-2016, 20:49
weird! thats what i bought today,ive not heard the original either,sure sounds good though,after my cartridge nightmare i clean all new vinyl now and place in mofi sleeves.
Saturns pattern by paul weller is superb if you want a recommendation.

cyclopse
10-01-2016, 21:04
ive bought 4 records over 2 weekends, 2 out of the 4 i had to return,same problem with both,they wont slide out of the sleeve you have to pull them out with your fingers.when they come out they are scratched to buggery.when i returned back to the store for a replacement both times i have opened up the album in front of staff and each time the replacement was the same so refunded twice. :steam:

What I think may be happening here is that the vinyl is charged with static making it stick like a magnet. How I get round this is to open the top of the sleeve and give the record a shot from my Zerostat 3. I can then remove it from the sleeve without damage.

Regards

Steve

karma67
10-01-2016, 21:09
its not static in my case mate as i was holding the sleeve at the sides and shaking it up and down,it still wouldn't move,i think the sleeve is too small and too tight fit on the records edge,once you've got it out by grabbing the record with your hand and pulling its fine,its so tight its been scuffed putting it in from the factory.

Bigman80
10-01-2016, 22:23
weird! thats what i bought today,ive not heard the original either,sure sounds good though,after my cartridge nightmare i clean all new vinyl now and place in mofi sleeves.
Saturns pattern by paul weller is superb if you want a recommendation.

Always interested in new albums but not a huge welled fan. I am on the lookout for Stanley road.

Led IV is a lovely sounding affair. I did a bit of research but can't pin down if they used the master tapes or the 16 bit version. I will endeavour to find out !!!

Audio Al
11-01-2016, 03:18
HMV shit records ?

Do HMV make records ? :scratch:

I thought they were a outlet for record labels and only sold other peoples music ?

awkwardbydesign
11-01-2016, 09:04
when i returned back to the store for a replacement both times i have opened up the album in front of staff and each time the replacement was the same so refunded twice. :steam:
In the '70s, when the oil shortage meant thin LPs, shrink wrapped LPs from HMV used to be badly warped. I once opened 8 LPs in HMV Oxford Street, and plonked 7 of them on the counter, saying "Those are all warped, I'll have this one!" :D

Macca
11-01-2016, 09:06
I've only ever bought two records that were warped from new. One of them was from HMV but it was 30 years ago.

awkwardbydesign
11-01-2016, 13:57
I've only ever bought two records that were warped from new. One of them was from HMV but it was 30 years ago.
The oil crisis was 40 years ago. They could have saved some oil by NOT shrink wrapping!

Pete The Cat
16-01-2016, 13:57
Bought a new version of Rush's "Hemispheres" from HMV recently and can agree that having got the blighter out of the sleeve there's no way of getting it back in again without knackering the record or the sleeve. Changing the white inner for a Nagaoka No. 102 does the trick. But to be fair to HMV it seems to me that the manufacturers haven't got the measurements right, rather than the shrink wrap having constrained the sleeve.

Pete

surv1v0r
18-01-2016, 09:35
Yeah, godda agree with you both on this one. Polyester sleeves every time for me from Analogue Seduction. I bloody hate those cardy things that just don't let the bloody vinyl come out. Infuriating...!Are they still selling records with those God-awful cardboard inner liners with lyrics on them? I used to hate those damned things, as Marco does with paper sleeves, I used always to cut them apart to extract the record and replace with a lined inner.

I would have to say that I am astonished that a paper liner would actually scratch a brand new record - out with Marjory Razorblade!

struth
18-01-2016, 09:45
Last record i bought was a sinatra one with a card inner with lyrics... It was tight in the cover and slightly too big thus split in middle as record was moving. I usually put an antistatic inside it and keep record in it. This is kept at back of cover that is in a heavy grade poly sleeve. No more potential damage and as the card inner is often similar to cover you dont overly notice it.
Album was Watertown by the way:) and was not from hmv