PDA

View Full Version : Updating dac question

djdstone
10-01-2016, 09:59
I have a Beresford 7150 that was upgraded with the Wolfson DAC & LM4562 dual audio amp - I use it with the Maplin power supply and listen to files played through Amara on a Mac Book via a Musical Fidelity Vlink (for USD connection). Like most of us I'm wondering what more can be achieved with a good Dac. Is it worth investing in one of the new Beresford Dacs with a battery power supply? Does anyone have any views on the Audiolab MDAC L2 modded by John Westlake. Or do I bit the bullet and go down the DIY route and build something like the DDDac kit. I mainly listen to vinyl so I'm looking for something that sounds warm and analogue.

StanleyB
10-01-2016, 10:28
If you are looking for something warm and analogue then you would need to go the valves way. A warm sound on a DAC hides quite a bit of low signal information. An analogue sound is the way to go if you want detail, accuracy, and soundstage.
The Caiman MKII is analogue without any hint of digital residues. And the upgrades are a fraction of any other DAC that can be upgraded.

djdstone
10-01-2016, 12:27
Is there a noticeable difference compared with the original? Perhaps analogue is a much better description of the sounds that I'm looking for. What sort of upgrades should I be looking at foe the dac?

Gazjam
10-01-2016, 12:38
A dac with a good valve output stage might be what your looking for.
dont think valves = warm and wooly by the way, aint neccessarily so. :)

djdstone
10-01-2016, 13:45
Do you have any suggestions :-)?

StanleyB
10-01-2016, 14:21
Is there a noticeable difference compared with the original? Perhaps analogue is a much better description of the sounds that I'm looking for. What sort of upgrades should I be looking at foe the dac?
As an existing Beresford DAC owner and AoS member you should know the routine by now;). You can order and try out the Caiman in your own system, and return it if it is not what you are looking for.
As for upgrades: the existing stock already has all the updates fitted that have been released in the last year. So you won't have to fork out anything extra.

djdstone
10-01-2016, 18:53
Hi Stanley - I'm a newbie on AOS. I was wondering if anyone had achieved better results with upgrading some of the parts?

StanleyB
10-01-2016, 19:01
Not that I know of. The only ones that have been attempted are experiments with linear power supplies and battery packs. There is a sub-forum at http://theartofsound.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?47-Beresford-Banter

djdstone
10-01-2016, 19:33
Thanks - will have a read Stanley

mikmas
11-01-2016, 00:38
Does anyone have any views on the Audiolab MDAC L2 modded by John Westlake.

Maybe of no interest to you but I bought an Audiolab Q-Dac when the price dropped to £200 and have been well satisfied. Misses some of the extras of the M-Dac (like the remote) but doesn't bother me. Use it with a Mac Mini via USB and the sound is perfect IMV, also has a headphone output if needed ...

daws0n
11-01-2016, 10:03
^Agreed, the q-dac is good value for money at it's discounted price.

Bourneendboy
11-01-2016, 20:07
Can I tempt you with an HRT Music Streamer 111?

http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?42209-FS-HRT-Music-Streamer-III-DAC

djdstone
13-01-2016, 13:48
Thanks for the offer - but I really like the idea of trying to build one. The DDDac is really appealing - nice way of taking my mind of the day job and doesn't look to tricky to put together. Like the idea of being able to upgrade with additional boards and components

anubisgrau
13-01-2016, 15:03
I sold all my DACs more than a year ago feeling there will be a real game changer coming soon.

And a month ago I think I've heard it. I was at a Lampizator demo here in Belgrade where he presented his DSD machine. So not really a DAC as we know it but a kind of a converter.

If you only do a PC playback, I think nothing can come close to it for that money (1800 euros or equivalent) in terms of moving things forward away from sterile and forensic presentation towards more organic and natural sounds.

Mind that I'm not sure what are your options with Mac based SW players because the SQ massively depends on a type of the player. Fikusz recommends using Linux Daphne so in case you can afford a partition for your HD for a different OS and can cope with Linux UI, you may be safe.

djdstone
13-01-2016, 15:11
Think that's going to be a little out of my budget which - I like the idea of something that can evolve to a point and DDDac seems to fit that brief.

djdstone
13-01-2016, 17:47
http://hifipig.com/lampizator-big-7-dac/

WAD62
14-01-2016, 09:46
I have a Beresford 7150 that was upgraded with the Wolfson DAC & LM4562 dual audio amp - I use it with the Maplin power supply and listen to files played through Amara on a Mac Book via a Musical Fidelity Vlink (for USD connection). Like most of us I'm wondering what more can be achieved with a good Dac. Is it worth investing in one of the new Beresford Dacs with a battery power supply? Does anyone have any views on the Audiolab MDAC L2 modded by John Westlake. Or do I bit the bullet and go down the DIY route and build something like the DDDac kit. I mainly listen to vinyl so I'm looking for something that sounds warm and analogue.

I have an upgraded MDAC L2 'Toy' modded by JW, and also the Caiman Mk2 in another system in the house, both are excellent IMHO...

But getting the MDAC upgraded can be a bit of a faff, one has to send it to the Czech Republic, source the vishay resistors, get in a queue etc. This is no criticism of JW, he's extremely helpful and responsive, but he is only one man ;)

If Vinyl is your main source I'd suggest the Caiman Mk2 would give you the best VFM upgrade, and the path of least resistance...:eyebrows:

rallye666
14-01-2016, 15:35
I have one these:

http://www.jolida.com/product/glass-fx-tube-dac-iii

and its one of the most analogue sounding DACS I've come across.

Bought second hand for £350 and I think it was a bit of bargain

Added benefit of a tube DAC is the opportunity to tailor the sound to your liking.

Plus it was very satisfying to track down some 60's NOS siemens tubes!

Cheers, James

djdstone
14-01-2016, 21:23
Jolida - FX Tube DAC III no longer available in the UK

djdstone
14-01-2016, 21:24
So a fully modded one would be a good buy do you think. How do the JW mods improve the sound?

I have an upgraded MDAC L2 'Toy' modded by JW, and also the Caiman Mk2 in another system in the house, both are excellent IMHO...

But getting the MDAC upgraded can be a bit of a faff, one has to send it to the Czech Republic, source the vishay resistors, get in a queue etc. This is no criticism of JW, he's extremely helpful and responsive, but he is only one man ;)

If Vinyl is your main source I'd suggest the Caiman Mk2 would give you the best VFM upgrade, and the path of least resistance...:eyebrows:

WAD62
15-01-2016, 12:48
So a fully modded one would be a good buy do you think. How do the JW mods improve the sound?

To fully appreciate the upgrade you need to use it as a pre-amp & DAC, I believe quite a bit of the upgrade pertained to the pre-amp section...I suppose whether or not it's a good buy depends on the price :eyebrows:

By 'Fully' modded do you mean it's a L2 'Fusion' as opposed to 'Toy'?

For me the improvement from the upgrade was a more open presentation, better detail, and bass...so pretty worthwhile ;)

One point about the MDAC, if you want to get the best out of the asynchronous USB connectivity I'd advise using some isolation/regenerator between the source and DAC...I use an iFi USB Power, to great effect :)

djdstone
15-01-2016, 13:37
Thanks Will

roob
15-01-2016, 20:23
There were 2 JW modified MDACS for sale on pfm last month they may still be available
http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/showthread.php?t=181827&highlight=mdac
http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/showthread.php?t=181754&highlight=mdac

WAD62
18-01-2016, 08:39
There were 2 JW modified MDACS for sale on pfm last month they may still be available
http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/showthread.php?t=181827&highlight=mdac
http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/showthread.php?t=181754&highlight=mdac

One of them is a 'Sovereign+' upgrade, which I think was the precursor to the L2 upgrade, the other is a straight L2 upgrade...

FYI JW then created 2 further upgrades over the L2, namely 'Toy' and 'Fusion' (the upgrade naming was based on the pfm member that first requested it).

The 'Toy' and 'Fusion' upgrades involved the use of Vishay 'foil' resistors @ £16 per resistor, with the 'Toy' upgrade the 4 most critical resistors were replaced, and with 'Fusion' all 28 (or so) were replaced...I stuck at 4, and spent the rest on USB isolation...;)

djdstone
24-01-2016, 16:28
Thanks for all the replies - looked at the Mdac with L2 mods but I'm not sure if it's the way that I want to go - I've no real need for the pre-amp section.

StanleyB
25-01-2016, 07:48
Thanks for all the replies - looked at the Mdac with L2 mods but I'm not sure if it's the way that I want to go - I've no real need for the pre-amp section.
Well you have been advised to try the Caiman, and save yourself a lot of money. But that too has a variable output option. If you are looking for a bare DAC with no variable output and no headphone socket, then maybe try the Rega.

djdstone
25-01-2016, 10:00
Hi Stanley - I would like to try something else :-)