PDA

View Full Version : Got Snow?

goraman
10-01-2016, 07:11

We got alot of Snow this year at Donner Summit.
California has been in a massive drought.
I took Nosheen and Conner out to play in the blizzard it was great.
Even in my big 4x4 I actually had to chain up!
Conditions where White out!
If you have never driven a mountain summit over 7.000 ft. in a white out on icy roads it is a test of nerves.

I could just see Alex up there is his Rover!

Firebottle
10-01-2016, 08:21
Enjoy it for the rest of us, looks great. I enjoy the snow when it comes, apart from if I have to get somewhere.

One year we were on the A20 motorway, ungritted mind, and on the opposite side everyone was stopped and out of their cars checking the surface. It was literally like a skating rink.
The side we were on was slightly more sheltered and was still passable.

:)

struth
10-01-2016, 08:29
The snow we got on friday is gone but its just started again... January is often our snowiest month here

Macca
10-01-2016, 10:06

We got alot of Snow this year at Donner Summit.
California has been in a massive drought.
I took Nosheen and Conner out to play in the blizzard it was great.
Even in my big 4x4 I actually had to chain up!
Conditions where White out!
If you have never driven a mountain summit over 7.000 ft. in a white out on icy roads it is a test of nerves.

I could just see Alex up there is his Rover!

If it snowed like that in the UK we would all starve to death,

Cool truck BTW

Nothing forecast here except a bit of sleet next Saturday.

Marco
10-01-2016, 10:47
Yeah, cool truck :respect:

No snow here yet, but bloody cold! I think that some is forecast for next week on higher ground. I love snow, but if it doesn't come during the festive holiday period, to make the landscape look nice and Christmassy, then I'm not really interested in it afterwards.

Marco.

struth
10-01-2016, 11:01
If it snowed like that in the UK we would all starve to death,

Cool truck BTW

Nothing forecast here except a bit of sleet next Saturday.

It does, but Scotland is maybe not the uk ;)
:D

Acht.. The Scots ruined Scotland

Macca
10-01-2016, 11:04
You are used to it up there. Here just two inches falls and it's Armaggedon.

goraman
10-01-2016, 23:26
Thanks I love my truck it has never been stuck once, I have pulled people out with my rescue chain though.
It has Faithfully done everything I have asked of it but then I try to be reasonable so not to beat it up.
I have spent close to $15,000 in upgrades, The truck was given to me by my Mom who has now passed several years after the passing of Tom my step father whom I love in 07 .
He bought it new in 03 put 32,000 miles on it got macular degeneration and by 05 couldn't see well enough to drive so it sat in the drive way, then in 07 he had a massive hart attack and died.
Then in 13 I put a new battery, breaks used it to tow a trailer to move dirt as I re landscaped my Moms whole yard after ward she gave me the keys and said take it home it's yours now.
Since then I now have 46,000 miles on an 03 ! Every time I take it for an oil change the dealer wants to buy it.
Ive put ceramic Doug Thorly headers all stainless exhaust with Magnaflows.
B&M oil and Transsmition coolers, Aluminum Extra Capacity finned oil and Tranny pan, Heads ported and polished, ignition upgrades,cold air intake, had all the plastic accumulators replaced in the trans with aluminum and a Transgo shift kit installed. The Brake rotors are all replaced drilled and slotted and I got really high end carbon brake pads.
A Hellwig add a leaf kit to stiffen the rear and heavy duty Rancho shocks all around. Curt 10,000 pound hitch, 2 inch suspention lift and Toyo open country AT tires, Tono cover, sprayed bed liner and thick good year rubber bed mat, Hella lights Polk speakers and Kenwood stereo with Blutooth and HD tunner, The motor has been chipped using the super chips Edge cts programmer and the wheels are U.S. Wheels, I also added the track system the air ports use to tie down loads being carried in the bed, Some pics still have the crappy Good year Tracker 2 tires on it.I replaced those over christmass.
Not much else I can do and remain Ca. smog legal, as it is I have the inside glove box door covered in C.A.R.B. stickers ( after market equipment that increases performance must have these stickers to pass smog).
The trailer in the pictures is 28 ft. and has a large slide out. Lots of tong weight .

struth
11-01-2016, 08:51
Great trailer too... Love those pull outs to widen everything up. We call them caravans but prefer trailer myself

Macca
11-01-2016, 08:57
Ive put ceramic Doug Thorly headers all stainless exhaust with Magnaflows.
B&M oil and Transsmition coolers, Aluminum Extra Capacity finned oil and Tranny pan, Heads ported and polished, ignition upgrades,cold air intake, had all the plastic accumulators replaced in the trans with aluminum and a Transgo shift kit installed. The Brake rotors are all replaced drilled and slotted and I got really high end carbon brake pads.
A Hellwig add a leaf kit to stiffen the rear and heavy duty Rancho shocks all around. Curt 10,000 pound hitch, 2 inch suspention lift and Toyo open country AT tires, Tono cover, sprayed bed liner and thick good year rubber bed mat, Hella lights Polk speakers and Kenwood stereo with Blutooth and HD tunner, The motor has been chipped using the super chips Edge cts programmer and the wheels are U.S. Wheels, I also added the track system the air ports use to tie down loads being carried in the bed, Some pics still have the crappy Good year Tracker 2 tires on it.I replaced those over christmass.

That little lot must have taken two or maybe even three full Sunday afternoons ;)

goraman
11-01-2016, 15:59
At least Martin,
It is still only a half ton truck but so far has done everything I have needed.
Grant, the Caravan belongs to my much older brother seen in the last picture, He bought it to live in and I towed it from Yuba city to his new home behind a gas station.
Where he lives with his 2 dogs. The inside of that trailer was like new, not so much now. It smells like cigarettes, booze and dog piss now.

archiesdad
13-01-2016, 19:00
Coming down with a vengeance here now, glad my commute to work is by Shank's pony.

walpurgis
13-01-2016, 19:19
Coming down with a vengeance here now, glad my commute to work is by Shank's pony.

Blazing sunshine here mate. Just mowing the lawn in my shorts & teeshirt. :D

Marco
13-01-2016, 19:30
"Mowing the lawn", eh? Mind the dandruff, and give her my regards! :eyebrows:

Marco.

P.S No snow here yet.

struth
13-01-2016, 20:16
Was heavy here before I fell asleep, big flakes too... off and away now.

take5
13-01-2016, 21:13
Shit.... guess who is driving up to Perthshire tomorrow.:mad:

I think ill take my flip flops out of my case and replace them with my long johns.

struth
13-01-2016, 21:20
I'd take a shovel, blanket and thermos etc just in case. You never know up Perth way ;)

take5
13-01-2016, 21:22
Grant, its worse/more north than that. Im half way to Braemar.

struth
13-01-2016, 21:27
Yes, the further you go up that road the more chance of it getting bad quickly ( i used to drive that road every day). Probably be fine though, but does no harm taking the precautions. Know folk getting stuck on the road.. Good luck, sure it'll be fine Brian.

Macca
14-01-2016, 08:51
Bit of snow overnight here but the rain has mostly washed it away.

Marco
14-01-2016, 08:55
Really? You're not too far away... No snow, just rain here, although that's stopped now and the sun is out :)

Marco.

Macca
14-01-2016, 08:57
Not to far away but a good few hundred feet higher up.

r100
14-01-2016, 09:02
yep, finally it is snowing (near Lausanne, Switzerland) :)

archiesdad
14-01-2016, 21:30
Blazing sunshine here mate. Just mowing the lawn in my shorts & teeshirt. :D
Better you than me, that's one job I hate, blackmail the wife into the job in the summer, actually it would be cheaper getting a gardener in once a week:hmm:

Ali Tait
15-01-2016, 08:14
Grant, its worse/more north than that. Im half way to Braemar.

My home town. :-)

struth
16-01-2016, 13:33
Snow is back on... Looks like it means business..... Glad i got what i needed to do done this morning:lol:

Marco
16-01-2016, 13:48
We had some sleety rain here yesterday, for about ten minutes, and that was it. The sun's out now... :)

You'd don't half get some bad weather up there, mate. It'd be interesting measuring the amount of sunlight hours and dry weather you get there, compared even to here in North Wales. That's one thing I don't miss about living in Scotland! :nono:

Marco.

Macca
16-01-2016, 13:56
I went to the shops and the puddles are frozen. But it is sunny and not raining/snowing/sleeting for the first time in weeks.

struth
16-01-2016, 14:01
We had some sleety rain here yesterday, for about ten minutes, and that was it. The sun's out now... :)

You'd don't half get some bad weather up there, mate. It'd be interesting measuring the amount of sunlight hours and dry weather you get there, compared even to here in North Wales. That's one thing I don't miss about living in Scotland! :nono:

Marco.

Im bang in middle on fairly high ground so catch it from all directions. Just high enough for rain to go to snow etc... Wont get drowned by global warming though unless most of the country goes first.. Yup as i get older the weather is my biggest problem re my ailments.

Marco
16-01-2016, 14:06
The east coast was always prone to nastier weather, IME. What I found with Glasgow though, is that you could often go for days on end when it just rained constantly, and never seemed to get light - and that was sometimes during the summer!

It was just continually grey, dank and bleak. Hugely depressing...

Anyway, wrap up and stay warm, and now and then indulge in a wee hot toddy! :)

Marco.

Marco
16-01-2016, 14:09
I went to the shops and the puddles are frozen. But it is sunny and not raining/snowing/sleeting for the first time in weeks.

Yeah, it's undoubtedly cold. However, we're still waiting here for our first snowfall. A couple of years back, the snow was so deep that we couldn't get the cars out of the driveway, so simply stayed in and 'hibernated,' until it all melted away.

In a way, that was actually quite nice :)

Marco.

Macca
16-01-2016, 14:23
It's a frigging ballache when you have to go to work. Took me an hour to go 6 miles yesterday. I was 10 minutes late.

What got me was the number of pensioners out driving - at 0830 on a Friday morning after a snowfall, with the roads like glass and queues on every road. How can their journeys be necessary?

Marco
16-01-2016, 14:31
Yes, they should all stay inside supping Horlicks, in their wee-soaked woollen dressing downs (or whatever it is pensioners do), to let the workers go to work, before going out shopping in their Nissan Micras! ;)

Thank fook I work from home, and am slowly doing less and less of that too, these days.... :eyebrows:

Marco.

struth
16-01-2016, 14:49
I had a micra once... Not a bad little motor actually...a lot of pensioners at least know how to drive in snow;)

Marco
16-01-2016, 15:12
Lol - only because they hardly ever get out of first gear! :eyebrows: ;)

Marco.

struth
16-01-2016, 18:16
Over 4 hrs of snow now, and it dont look keen to stop... I guess I'm housebound for a while lol

Ali Tait
16-01-2016, 18:30
Lol - only because they hardly ever get out of first gear! :eyebrows: ;)

Marco.

First gear is not a good idea in snow!

Snowing again here..

Marco
16-01-2016, 19:20
I know, but it worked better with the point I was making.... ;)

Enjoy the white stuff!

Marco.

Ali Tait
16-01-2016, 19:28
Looks like we might get a fair bit tonight.

Macca
16-01-2016, 20:22
Time to stock up on booze then!

struth
16-01-2016, 20:29
still flickering here, but not much .... Fortunately I have a fair amount of booze in stock; enough to last this out and just stocked up on food, so I will be ok for a while. Can also get a delivery

Marco
16-01-2016, 20:34
Got someone to clear your paths for you, or will you manage that yourself?

Marco.

struth
16-01-2016, 20:54
No and no.... I will manage the step at front and back. such is life in 2016; neighbours hiding behind curtains watching you slip and fall ;)

wasn't like that when I was younger, but the street has changed now, and not for the better.

Ninanina
16-01-2016, 21:15
No snow here in the South, thank goodness as we are away for a few days in the week... it's pretty cold though so needed my down jacket on today... nice and toasty I was :D

Spectral Morn
16-01-2016, 21:53
Snow here on Thursday, Friday am was bad, lots of hard frozen, part thawed snow, that froze again.

Today its been light rain, no snow so far. Still raining :(, I am sick of it, nothing but grey skies and bloody rain for months.

Macca
16-01-2016, 21:53
Yes, the down coat I bought back in the spring is now earning its keep. Like wearing a sleeping bag :)

Ninanina
16-01-2016, 22:05
Yes, the down coat I bought back in the spring is now earning its keep. Like wearing a sleeping bag :)

They are just so cozy aren't they ?

Macca
17-01-2016, 09:14
More snow last night, about an inch. Fortunately not back at work until Tuesday.

Marco
17-01-2016, 10:40
A very light dusting here early this morning, which has now melted away. Bloody cold, though!

Marco.

Jimbo
17-01-2016, 10:54
Snow here on Cannock Chase. Just off for a walk in it.

archiesdad
17-01-2016, 12:27
Took dog out across the fields, snow crisp underfoot with thick ice in the puddles, wrapped up like Nanook, halfway round sweat was breaking out, not nearly as cold as it looks, worked up a good sweat clearing the drive, all before the Sunday fry up break is.

take5
17-01-2016, 17:17
Back home now after a visit to Scotland. Had to borrow my Dads shorts and flip flops.

Snow....what snow ?

goraman
18-01-2016, 01:20
I took the family up to Donner Summit where it should be snowing but El nino blessed us with a 40 F to 50F degree rain storm, I mean dumping buckets.
This is a good thing for the snow pack as it adds to the water content and later we will have a fantastic melt off supplying much needed water to drought stricken California.
This is hard on roofs and causes cave ins because the snow absorbs the water and freezes, the added water weight can be like having the weight of a swimming pool on your roof.
The snow is very deep from the last big storm that went on for days so you are walking in 3 ft. of soft snow, It was like trying to touch your chin with your knees with each step.
But I did make it to the top of a pretty steep hill and watched Conner sled down an area that was compacted for kids to play on.
We may go up tomorrow if the rain stops, snow jackets,pants gloves are great in the snow but not rubberized for the kind of rain we where in.

Macca
18-01-2016, 09:32
I wondered if there was any connection to the Donner Party and I see that there is.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donner_Pass

20 metres of snow a year!

goraman
18-01-2016, 11:48
I wondered if there was any connection to the Donner Party and I see that there is.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donner_Pass

20 metres of snow a year!
Martin,
I t is hard to believe but they were only about 70 miles from being out of the snow a little over an hour by car.
5 to 6 days by wagon though that pass I'm sure but when the snow fell they where locked in where they where.
You can't get far when the snow is waist deep,I saw that for my self just climbing a small hill in it was a huge out of breath victory.
makes 60 to 70 miles seem like 600 to 700. They where at the worst part of that pass too. Gives me chills when I am near that spot to think of it.
Donner pass is all paved but is still there.
It is a very mean place to be in a snow storm, I can't even think how hard it was on wagon roads before such thing as snow plows.
It must has seemed hopeless. I have been there in the very worst conditions when visibility is 10 ft. seems like a different world.
In 86 we had a record storm and a friend and I hitch hiked over that pass stupidly at night to retrieve his car, they closed I 80 so we walked a long stretch of it over the summit not really dressed right for it.
We had no idea of the storm that was on it's way, we made it all the way to Reno. I look back on that now and wonder how the Hell we didn't loose our toes.
I always keep water, shovel, blankets, food, chains road flares, flash lights in the car when I go up there. I have a huge respect for that place.
Northern California is much more colder than Southern Cal .

Macca
18-01-2016, 12:08
It is a fascinating and at the same time chilling story. You needed balls of steel or rocks in your head to make that journey back then.

struth
18-01-2016, 12:19
Back home now after a visit to Scotland. Had to borrow my Dads shorts and flip flops.

Snow....what snow ?

Been light rain this morning which has disposed of some of it here...plough came down with grit yesterday too. Looking like i will get out now as long as it doesnt go nuts again. You must have missed it.

goraman
18-01-2016, 12:36
It is a fascinating and at the same time chilling story. You needed balls of steel or rocks in your head to make that journey back then.

It was not so bad, but they left to late into the season, If they would have left a week sooner there would be no story to talk about.
When it's nice up there it's beautiful, but one big snow storm hits and your stuck.
It still happens today, there is to much snow they close the roads but there are lodges and motels to stay in, not a lot though some times you are stuck in your car.
I always keep a full tank of gas and supply's, i can't believe the number of foreigners that go up to play in the snow that go up in sweat suits and there kids in pajamas!
They walk back freezing to the car, we saw it again today.