PDA

View Full Version : No one gives a toss about your new turntable, mate!

TheMooN
09-01-2016, 13:02
http://thump.vice.com/en_uk/article/no-one-gives-a-toss-about-your-new-turntable-mate?utm_source=mbfb

struth
09-01-2016, 13:24
He's Joshing surely;)

The Black Adder
09-01-2016, 13:44
Yeah, he's joshing. I thought it was 'cynically' funny in a Charlie Brooker kind of way.

Puffin
09-01-2016, 13:51
Genius. How many TT's and how much vinyl does he really have:lol:

Macca
09-01-2016, 14:20
Yeah, he's joshing. I thought it was 'cynically' funny in a Charlie Brooker kind of way.

Indeed . I think he might be Charlie Brooker's non-union Mexican equivalent. Which isn't good.

rossman
09-01-2016, 20:28
I had a bit of a chuckle about most of that article until the end when he says at the end "Sorry, but these are just facts. "....... no they are opinions, perfectly valid opinions as far as I can see but opinions none the less, apparently all part of the satire though.

walpurgis
09-01-2016, 20:41
It's bollox!

hard1175
09-01-2016, 21:20
It's bollox x 2

Reffc
10-01-2016, 07:34
He's an utter ***b. What a crap article.

jandl100
10-01-2016, 08:47
Must admit it had me :rfl:

Being "into" vinyl is like being into morris dancing or cheese rolling or marbles

:D

and 'vinyls' .... have to admit the article made me chuckle.

Tim
10-01-2016, 09:19
I thought it was hilarious and a good reminder that this stuff really bores the pants off my friends and to keep the geek chat in the right place ;)

Joe
10-01-2016, 09:38
Typically understated British humour, though the author should remember that the possessive form of its does not have an apostrophe. 8/10.

Macca
10-01-2016, 10:02
8/10?

I suppose this is the 'everyone gets a medal' society ;)

Joe
10-01-2016, 10:07
I'm known to be a generous marker.

Macca
10-01-2016, 10:10
He's got one gag and he labours it too much. Added to the unforgivable puctuation error and I'd award 5/10 'You are capable of better'. In red ink.

take5
10-01-2016, 11:11
I also thought it was funny.

Im sure I know his mate. Nice chap..............

Oddball
10-01-2016, 16:09
Ha , very good

Marco
10-01-2016, 20:20
I'd completely lost interest by the second paragraph... Pointless banal twaddle.

Marco.

walpurgis
10-01-2016, 20:52
I'd completely lost interest by the second paragraph... Pointless banal twaddle.

Marco.

Yup!

PaulStewart
10-01-2016, 20:59

Marco.

+1 though I'm not sure I would rate it quite that highly :lol:

Joe
11-01-2016, 22:45

Marco.

<cough> three words daily </cough>

Marco
11-01-2016, 22:51
Yes, but that's become an AoS [mental] institution... ;)

Marco.

struth
12-01-2016, 07:05
<cough> three words daily </cough>

Waooohhhh, lay off 3wd...:eek: theres more intelligence used there than the rest of the site ;)

awkwardbydesign
12-01-2016, 11:37
Waooohhhh, lay off 3wd...:eek: theres more intelligence used there than the rest of the site ;)
Not saying much.

337alant
12-01-2016, 17:10
Being "into" vinyl is like being into morris dancing or cheese rolling or marbles or crushing butterflies into books for reasons of preservation or stuffing yourself into an inflatable latex suit and getting fingered in a paddling pool: it's fine if you're into it but don't bore the rest of us.

I though this part was really funny :D but Im not sure what he finds unusual about any of those activities?.:scratch:

Alan

PaulStewart
13-01-2016, 09:22
Being "into" vinyl is like being into morris dancing or cheese rolling or marbles or crushing butterflies into books for reasons of preservation or stuffing yourself into an inflatable latex suit and getting fingered in a paddling pool: it's fine if you're into it but don't bore the rest of us.

I though this part was really funny :D but Im not sure what he finds unusual about any of those activities?.:scratch:

Alan

Well, I can't get my head round morris dancing :laugh: I also don't understand why anyone would waste time or banwidth publishing the originsl asinine twaddle.

struth
13-01-2016, 09:41
Not saying much.

Now now! Dont run yourself down so Richard;)

Tim
13-01-2016, 09:51
I also don't understand why anyone would waste time or banwidth publishing the originsl asinine twaddle.
It's called humour, some have it some don't ;)

PaulStewart
14-01-2016, 00:12
It's called humour, some have it some don't ;)

Sorry mate but if you found that funny, I would seek professional help. :lol:

mikmas
14-01-2016, 00:49
... the article displayed awfully bad taste

my mother taught me to never mock the afflicted ....

:lol:

jandl100
14-01-2016, 07:26
Humour is a funny thing - different things to different people.
For me, the article was an opportunity to laugh at my own idiosyncrasies and to see myself as some others may see me. Audiophiles are strange creatures.

Oldpinkman
14-01-2016, 07:44
Audiophiles are strange creatures.

You betcha! :)

Marco
14-01-2016, 08:40
For me, the article was an opportunity to laugh at my own idiosyncrasies and to see myself as some others may see me.

I got that, but the trouble was, it wasn't funny; merely banal, and WAY too long!

Marco.

Tim
14-01-2016, 16:10
For me, the article was an opportunity to laugh at my own idiosyncrasies and to see myself as some others may see me. Audiophiles are strange creatures.

Nail . . . head, what I find even funnier are those that can't see it and I'm the one who needs professional help - now that is funny, as I think it could be right :)

Macca
14-01-2016, 16:42
As Josie said it is sub Charlie Brooker humour. I find him mildly amusing but I know some people find him as funny as cancer so what can you do?

I don't think the psychiatric profession should expect to have a rush on anytime soon.

Marco
14-01-2016, 16:50
Quite simply, if I'd found it witty, unique, funny or clever, in any way, even though it was having a poke at something I'm passionate about, then I'd have laughed and shown the author some due respect :)

Unfortunately for me, however, it was none of those things, and simply came across as the inane witterings of a juvenile 5-year old.

Marco.

Stratmangler
14-01-2016, 17:11
Unfortunately for me, however, it was none of those things, and simply came across as the inane witterings of a juvenile 5-year old.

Marco.

Could a 5 year old be anything other than juvenile?

Marco
14-01-2016, 17:21
Let's say a particularly immature 5-year old. The word "juvenile" was used simply to stress that point :)

Marco.

struth
14-01-2016, 17:28
some 5 year olds are more mature than others lol... in comparison the this guy, my grandkid can barely pick his nose ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=gd8epYWt1Q4

Maybe not quite Beethoven but pretty decent

Stratmangler
14-01-2016, 17:41
Let's say a particularly immature 5-year old. The word "juvenile" was used simply to stress that point :)

Marco.

Ah, so it's a bit like saying it's freezing cold, then?
A lack of concision, if you like.
After all, if it's freezing it is cold, cold enough for water to be in its triple point state https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triple_point

Who said nothing good would come of watching QI? ;)

Marco
14-01-2016, 17:53
Lol... I see it simply as a form of emphasis :)

Marco.

Barry
14-01-2016, 20:36
Well I'm with Tim and Jerry on this. I did find it amusing and self-deprecating: "I personally find that records always sound better played on a turntable", though over-egged in a Charlie Brookerish sort of way.

For those who didn't appreciate the cynical humour, just replace turntable and vinyl with 4G iPhone and apps! :D

Marco
14-01-2016, 21:47
Maybe it would help if I knew who Charlie Brooker was? ;)

[Just Googled him - I'm afraid that I'm not familiar with any of his work. Had a quick scan, but not really my thing at all].

dmckean
15-01-2016, 00:00
What I thought was weird is there's an "americanized" version of this same article.

https://thump.vice.com/en_us/article/no-one-gives-a-crap-about-your-new-turntable-dude

Tim
15-01-2016, 12:48
Big fan of Charlie Brooker here, you need to check him out a bit more Marco, he's extremely funny and I would have thought you would have liked him?

I guess for a lot of 'serious folk' (like audiophiles), self-deprecating acerbic wit doesn't come naturally, unless they know there are odd, which it seems a lot here don't realise ;)

Thankfully I know I'm odd, so don't mind people taking the piss out of my eccentricities :mental:

Marco
15-01-2016, 16:01
Lol... That side of it doesn't offend me in the slightest. I'm quite used to taking the piss out of myself, and my mates (and wife) doing it to me too - and they get it back! :D

Only egotistical idiots (usually those with a hidden inferiority complex) take themselves too seriously.

However, I just didn't find the article funny (I guess humour is a personal thing?) I also don't read the Guardian, or indeed any newspapers anymore, so where else might I check out some Brooker material?

Once I know that, and if I find anything funny, I'll let you know! ;)

Marco.

Joe
15-01-2016, 16:23
It's like, if I tell a joke and one person laughs and the other doesn't; is it that the first person is easily amused or that the second person is humourless? No way of knowing, as there's no such thing as a 'funny-o-meter' to measure the level of funniness in a given joke, and no quicker way of killing a joke than explaining why it's funny.

Which is also a useful analogy for the subjective experience of hifi; it's as good or a bad as the individual listener thinks it is, based on his or her listening.

struth
15-01-2016, 16:32
I got the feeling he was trying way too hard and failing badly with one solitary, and fairly feeble joke....must do better written on his report card ;)

Macca
15-01-2016, 16:52
I know a few people who laugh at nothing except other people's misfortunes.

Now sometimes other people's misfortunes are funny, but that shouldn't be the only thing you find funny.

Marco
15-01-2016, 16:54

Not good. That shit tends to come back on you eventually. I'm a great believer in karma... ;)

Marco.

struth
15-01-2016, 17:15

Now sometimes other people's misfortunes are funny, but that shouldn't be the only thing you find funny.

surely not... tut tut... not audio folk though...... they are!! :D

Joe
15-01-2016, 17:48

The Prussian general von Moltke is said to have laughed only twice in his life; once when told his mother-in-law had died, and once when he was told that a certain fortress was impregnable.

Macca
16-01-2016, 09:41
Prussian generals are my favourites. Absolutely barking-mad, the lot of them.

Interesting, the error correction thinks 'Prussian' is a spelling mistake.