PDA

View Full Version : Hi Everyone!

RambleOn
06-01-2016, 16:45
I'm 58 years old & lucky enough to be married to a beautiful lady 17 years younger than me!
When we first met she had no interest in my type of music (classic 70's & 80's rock, blues rock etc) nor in the wonderful world of vinyl. After we married, my hifi system & vinyl records were confined to the attic! Now, some 18 years later, she is really into the same type of music as I am (the brainwashing finally paid off!) and agreed we should 'revive' the hifi system & vinyl collection. Over the past 6 months or so, I have now replaced my 1986 Cyrus One amp (25 watts per channel) with the new Quad Vena bluetooth amplifier (45 watts per channel) and my old Tannoy M20 Gold standmount loudspeakers have been ousted in favour of a new pair of Tannoy DC6T SE floorstanders. I still have my 1986 Revolver turntable (standard arm as fitted) with an Audio Technica 95E MM cartridge. I also have an Edwards Audio Apprentice MM phono stage (the Cyrus One had a built-in MM/MC phono stage) and a Cyrus CD6s cd player, all connected via Chord Cobra interconnects, with my 1986 Mission speaker cables still in use.
However, even though I've spent all this money upgrading I can't help but feel that there's something 'missing' from the overall sound. It seems a bit 'thin' compared to my old system and I have to turn the Quad up to 7/10 to get anywhere near the level of sound I was getting from the (supposedly) less powerful Cyrus One, which I never had to push beyond 3/10 to get massive volume/output.
My question to the Forum members is therefore this; What could the problem be?!!

walpurgis
06-01-2016, 17:12
Hello Michael. Welcome to AOS.

I'm sure you'll find plenty to interest you here.

There are sections dedicated to every aspect of Hi-Fi.

If you have a general question about the sound of your system. Best thing would be to visit the Blank Canvas area and start a thread there, I'm sure you'll get some answers.

Enjoy the forum,
Geoff.