PDA

View Full Version : Hi

GaryMcUK
06-01-2016, 02:55
A quick introduction to me and my system.

I'm Gary, I live in County Durham, married with 2 little boys (4 and 2).

My main system is as follows:-
Linn Sondek LP12/Ittok/Dynavector 10x5/Lingo 1
Marantz NA7004
Sonos Connect
Naim NAC72/Hicap/NAP250
Sony MDS-JB930
Neat Motive 1

My second (and currently incomplete) system is:-
Devon TU-260L Mk II
Naim NAC32.5/SNAPS/NAP110 (Chrome Bumper)
Mission M73i

The second system isn't currently in use, as I don't have any spare Naim speaker cable. I'll get around to buying some soon. In the mean time I'm using a Sonos Connect:Amp in that room which is destined for the kitchen.

I also have the following bits of kit left over and stored in the cupboard:-
Sony MDS-JE380 Minidisc Recorder (Silver)
Sony SCD-XE670 SACD Player (Silver)
Project Debut III/Ortofon 2M Red (Silver)

The long term plan is to replace the Neat Motive 1s with something else (?Epos ES14) and place them in the second system. I really liked the sound of the Motive 1s when I tested them with the chrome bumper kit a few months ago. I'm also planning on adding a Technics SL1200 or 1210 to the second system, however there is no rush for that. I also need to return the NA322 boards to the 32.5, as my 72 didn't have any phono cards when I bought it.

The other long term plan for the main system is to improve digital streaming, the Marantz is good bit of kit, however I'm not happy with the iPad software for it. On the other hand the Sonos software is superb, however I'm not 100% on the sound quality, at the moment I route the Sonos through the Marantz's DAC to improve the sound a little. The Sonos also doesn't support 24bit audio and I have around 10 albums in this format.

My music collection is fairly diverse, however it's heavy in classic rock (Queen, Beatles, Stones, Led Zep, etc.) I've been listening to a couple of Bruce Springsteen LPs while typing this. I'm not admitting in public to some of the other music I like. I've got all of my CDs stored on a NAS, I probably have around 900 or so and probably just as many LPs.

Finally, I also have a Sonos Play:1 in the bedroom and my youngest son can operate the Sonos! He likes to change the music if it isn't to his taste (Frozen soundtrack and CBeebies themes being his current favourites). Amazing stuff for a 2 year old, I never play vinyl when he's around, I don't want him trying to cue up a record with a £400 cartridge!

Floyddroid
06-01-2016, 06:18
Hi Gary. Good to see another North East energy here. Welcome.

struth
06-01-2016, 07:18
Welcome aboard Gary. Nice intro and some good gear as well.. Sure the site will suit you sir;) :D. I hope you enjoy the forum mate

RichB
06-01-2016, 08:39
Hello and welcome to AoS from another North East member.

There's quite a few of us on here and we occasionally meet up.

Sounds like you've got a nice system, I understand neat speakers are very good but haven't heard a pair myself yet.

All the best.

R

canuckaudioguy
06-01-2016, 16:00
From one newbie to another, welcome!

GaryMcUK
06-01-2016, 17:53
Thanks for the kind welcome messages.