PDA

View Full Version : Album Club, January 2016: Jackie Leven - 'Creatures of Light and Darkness'

Album Club
04-01-2016, 14:38
Happy New Year everybody,

We start the New Year with an Album Club choice by JasonP. As always, please listen to the album fully before you vote.

Album Club January 2016 - Jackie Leven, Creatures of Light and Darkness

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61YQhClU5zL.jpg

Jackie Leven is one of those singer/songwriters that many have never ever heard of, despite him being one of the most prolific artists and live performers around while he was alive. He died in 2011, a great loss to his many fans across the globe.

A bit of background. Born in to a Romany family, he grew up in Fife, and became a folk musician in the 60s. He formed the seminal rock band Doll by Doll in the late 70s, a band cited by critics but largely ignored by the public - too at odds with the punk and pop sensibilities of the time.

When the band split up in '82, Leven stated a solo career. This was tragically cut short after he was the victim of a random assault that nearly killed him. The injuries he suffered from strangulation meant he couldn't speak for two years. Deeply depressed he became addicted to heroin. He cured his addiction with a combination of acupuncture and holistic therapies - which led to his founding of the Core Trust, a charity devoted to fighting addictions. It was at a dinner for the trust where he met Princess Diana (one of their patrons) who asked him to sing - a request that eventually propelled him back into his musical career.

What followed was his first major album, 'The Mystery of Love Is Greater Than The Mystery Of Death'. What followed until his passing in 2011 were some 26 albums - some released under the pseudonym Sir Vincent Lone - all dealing with, at their heart, what it is to be alive. Too diverse to be pigeonholed, Leven's music has variously been described as combining

'the raw materials of country, soul, blues, Celtic balladry, girl-group pop, art-rock, found sound, spoken word, and, once or twice and with quite respectable results, even hip-hop. Critics lazily tag his music either as "folk rock" or "Celtic soul," though Leven hates the first ("What the fuck is folk-rock about anything I've ever done?") and says the second is "better than nothing but probably doesn't do me any favors, given that I don't sound anything like Van Morrison."

Creatures of Light and Darkness is Leven's eighth studio album, and one of my personal favourites.

Almost like a travelogue of experiences, Jackie Leven's Creatures of Light and Dark, takes you on an emotional voyage through the observations of a man who has certainly seen much. From the minute the mariachi trumpets of "Spanish Dad" kick in and the tired, rich country voice of "Rainy Day Bergen Women" you realise this talented folk singer/songwriter writes his music in the quiet moments of reflection on an extraordinary life spent not just in his home town of Fife but also Franco's Spain and the deeply divided Berlin of the late 70s. He takes these settings and uses them as backdrops for his thoughts on memory ("Washing By Hand") and ideas of love ("Exit Wound"), loss and spiritual and emotional denial. On "The Sexual Loneliness of Jesus Christ", certainly one of the stand-out tracks, Jackie samples the voices of Glaswegian miners who have just been sacked as he ponders what it might be like to be out of touch from an important part of life. Creatures of Light and Darkness was named after an experience Jackie had as a child visiting a local pit. Stepping from the darkness to the light is certainly something he can relate to and is a perfect title for this beautiful and very personal album. --Caroline Butler

More on Leven's story can be found in this tribute by Paul Du Noyer, written shortly after his death:

http://www.pauldunoyer.com/pages/journalism/journalism_item.asp?journalismID=337

and the album is on Spotify HERE (https://open.spotify.com/album/5XJ4fhdqHOLM7Wfe5E99eZ)

Tim
04-01-2016, 17:39
What a corker of a pick for the New Year - top choice JasonP :respect:

Jason P
04-01-2016, 19:05
What a corker of a pick for the New Year - top choice JasonP :respect:

Thank you - we aim to please!!

SteveW
04-01-2016, 23:25
Thanks for choosing one of Jackie Leven's albums- this one is particularly good.
I have a rather poignant tale about Jackie, if I might take a minute to recall.
One dark night in 2011 my mate Kev asked if I fancied going to see Jackie Leven in Crewe.
Now Crewe isn't the most salubrious place, and I'd never really listened to his stuff before.

However we did go, and enjoyed a great evening of tales and songs from Jackie.
At the end he asked if anyone wanted to pay a tenner and he would send his new album when ready.
So me a Kev did, and told him to post the two together.
Weeks and then months passed with no sign of any album.
I'd got quite pissed off about it, thinking that we had been ripped off, and he was enjoying pissing away our few quid.
Early November and an envelop dropped through the letter box with two CDs , both signed in very shakey writing from Jackie.
Two days later I read of his death from cancer.
Never be too quick to judge anyone.

Jason P
05-01-2016, 00:15
That's very touching Steve. I think he never ever took his fans for granted - I always felt that seeing him live was somehow different because of that, a very inclusive intimate experience. I didn't know he was ill, though I followed him regularly gig-wise. I was utterly shocked to hear of his death - it was on the same day we'd buried a friend who'd taken their own life, and this felt like an equally acute loss. It's rare when an artistes death affects one like that - Kirsty MacColl was one notable other for me.

One of the things I love about this album is it's dealing with loss and memory. The opener, 'My Spanish Dad', is very evocative in it's childlike idealisation of 'father' - 'I don't know but I've been told/A daddy's heart is paved with gold/Walk on splinters to his arms/Feel him breathing deep and calm...'. Similar themes abound - the story of infidelity and loss in 'Billy Ate My Pocket'; the alienation in 'The Sexual Loneliness of Jesus Christ'; the drunken contemplation of 'Rainy Day Bergen Women' - 'Everything changes when your Daddy dies/You see new colours in stranger's eyes...'. It's melancholy but in a deeply soulful way, and Leven's writing had always had a profound effect on me because of this.

jostber
05-01-2016, 23:21
Great choice of album, one of my favorites. I also had the joy to see Jackie Leven live here in my hometown in Norway in about 2007, a wonderful experience to remember. This is a album studded with beautiful songs, and it has a great sound and production as well. One of the albums I might have listened to the most. Be sure to check out his other classic albums as well like "Elegy For Johnny Cash", "Shining Brother, Shining Sister" and "Nightlilies"

Tim
07-01-2016, 11:44
Beautifully crafted songs, from a master songwriter. Sadly I only really discovered Jackie after he died, so never had a chance to see him live. I'm still getting acquainted with his music (I only have 2 albums), so this is a timely reminder. One of the most talented singer/songwriters that most people have never heard of - great to give this an airing Jason and a superb album.

I'm going to give it a solid 8/10 and I've just ordered it.

I'm listening to 'Lovers at the Gun Club' at the moment and will probably have to order that too! This is going to cost me :doh:

Jason P
07-01-2016, 15:02
I'm listening to 'Lovers at the Gun Club' at the moment and will probably have to order that too! This is going to cost me :doh:

3 down, 25 odd left to go... :-)

'The Mystery Of Love Is Greater Than The Mystery Of Death' is worth a punt. 'Elegy for Johnny Cash' too. Heck, they all are but then I'm biased...

Fortunately many of the studio albums are on Spotiify ;-)

struth
07-01-2016, 15:08
Ive heard a few of his songs and they always left an impression of wanting more

Tim
07-01-2016, 15:21
Fortunately many of the studio albums are on Spotiify ;-)
Yup and I've been going through a lot today - not found anything yet I didn't like ;)

Bazil
08-01-2016, 12:26
I knew the name thats it , on my second listen , very interesting.

AlfaGTV
08-01-2016, 15:44
This was really to my liking! :)
Thanks to Jason P i now have a new entry in my personal "hall of fame"! ;)

Jason P
08-01-2016, 18:18
This was really to my liking! :)
Thanks to Jason P i now have a new entry in my personal "hall of fame"! ;)

:cool: :thumbsup:

vinylspinner
08-01-2016, 20:58
Thanks for picking this album Jason, not an artist I was aware of tbh but must admit that I like this album (streamed from Tidal) and will be looking at his other works.
9 out of 10 from me, an eye opener.

Nigel

Tim
08-01-2016, 22:59
Thanks for picking this album Jason, not an artist I was aware of tbh but must admit that I like this album (streamed from Tidal) and will be looking at his other works.
9 out of 10 from me, an eye opener.

Nigel
Hi Nigel, Tim here (bought your Michell arm), look into his other work, he really is a rare talent and knowing what you like from our brief meeting, he's right up your street I reckon ;)

Jason picked a winner :)

vinylspinner
08-01-2016, 23:21
Hi Nigel, Tim here (bought your Michell arm), look into his other work, he really is a rare talent and knowing what you like from our brief meeting, he's right up your street I reckon ;)

Jason picked a winner :)

Hi Tim,

Hope you are keeping well, yes, I have been listening to his albums most of the night, shame that I didn't pick up on his music earlier, can't believe that I missed someone this good.

Nigel

jostber
10-01-2016, 21:43
This is an album that really grows on you, especially the lyrics. A beautiful song from another classic album:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PhI1uXNFfCc

struth
10-01-2016, 21:56
I forgot to vote :doh: A strong 9/10 from me.. enjoyed revisiting . must get myself an album

Mike - H
11-01-2016, 13:00
I gave it a 7 after one listening, but then spent the rest of the afternoon listening to this again and some of his other albums. Thanks for putting this forward, a solid 8 possibly a 9

spm
11-01-2016, 18:04
I thought it was ok, no more than that, a 7/10 from me.

Bazil
14-01-2016, 10:55
Very good album , it loses its edge a few songs in and becomes a bit smooth for me , never the less 8/10.

RichB
18-01-2016, 21:10
It didn't inspire nor repulse. So a 6 from me

I do feel I should give it another listen so it's saved as a playlist.

high.spirits
21-01-2016, 11:38
I've listened to it 3 times now and really cannot make my mind up regarding the whole album.
Some tracks I like, some I am indifferent to.
Some strange phasing (reverb / echo / or some effect) on a couple of tracks which was strange. 7/10.

Jason P
21-01-2016, 13:05
I've listened to it 3 times now and really cannot make my mind up regarding the whole album.
Some tracks I like, some I am indifferent to.
Some strange phasing (reverb / echo / or some effect) on a couple of tracks which was strange. 7/10.

Odd - what tracks did you hear the reverb/phasing on? Be interested to know...

high.spirits
21-01-2016, 19:36
Odd - what tracks did you hear the reverb/phasing on? Be interested to know...

It may be the way I have heard his voice, but track 3 The Sexual Loneliness of Jesus Christ was most noticeable and some on track 4.

Jason P
21-01-2016, 21:20
It may be the way I have heard his voice, but track 3 The Sexual Loneliness of Jesus Christ was most noticeable and some on track 4.

Ahh no, that's just the way he's singing on that. Quite a vocal technique - he's done it on a few tracks of his on other albums too.

Clothears
26-01-2016, 21:59
I've long been a Jackie Leven fan since I first heard a track on a Cooking Vinyl sampler in the 90's. Since then I bought a good few of his albums including this one, which I'm giving a strong 8/10.

My personal favourite is The Mystery Of Love Is Greater Than The Mystery Of Death . Unfortunately the fates conspired on several occasions and I never did manage to get to see him live, but I did buy a live CD of his called The Wanderer which gives you a good taste of the Jackie Leven experience, jokes and bad language included.

Barry
01-02-2016, 13:12
This is what I love about the Album Club, not only are you reminded of artist(e)s you already know, but are introduced to new ones.

I hadn't heard of Jackie Leven before, but on listening I will be investigating more of his material. Some of it is a little 'dark' for my taste but thank you for suggesting it as an Album Club choice.

8/10 from me.

Good one Jason!

Jason P
01-02-2016, 22:37
Glad you liked it Barry. I agree he does veer in to some dark territory, but that in a funny way is what I love about him - unafraid to document all the human condition, warts and all. Then he'll pull out something staggeringly beautiful, like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85UvcIXRcwQ

Qwin
21-04-2016, 18:33
I was introduced to this artist recently and wondered why I hadn't heard of him, as he is very prolific.
Some of his lyrics are very amusing, like him a lot.