PDA

View Full Version : New Member

Andy68
03-01-2016, 19:02
Hello,

My name is Andy and I have come into the world of reel to reel tape recorders as a result of needing to access a box full of reels which I inherited from my late uncle's estate.

I am now the owner of an Akai 1721L, which generally works very well apart from the popping and crackling which is coming from the motor.

I believe that this could be the result of a failing motor capacitor, but in the meantime I have stripped it down and lubricated the motors two felt pads with sewing machine oil.

Still crackling, hopefully it may rectify itself in due course but any advice would be very much appreciated.

Many thanks

Macca
04-01-2016, 13:22
Hi Andy and welcome to the forum

There are a lot of R2R owners here, including some folk who repair and calibrate them. I'd suggest you re-post your question in this part of the forum:

http://theartofsound.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?94-The-Show-Reel

and I am sure one or more of them will come to your assistance. :)

Ali Tait
04-01-2016, 14:13
Hi, welcome. As Martin says, some knowledgeable folk here. Another good source here-

http://www.tapeheads.net/forumdisplay.php?f=4

walpurgis
04-01-2016, 22:10
Hi Andy. Welcome to AOS.

I'm sure you'll get good advice here.

Tell us what music you listen to and about the rest of your equipment.

Enjoy the forum,
Geoff.

Andy68
06-01-2016, 20:16
Martin,

Thanks for that I have posted in the correct section.

Andy68
06-01-2016, 20:19
Thanks Ali,

Will see what response I get from here first, hopefully something concrete.

Andy68
06-01-2016, 20:25
Well Geoff,

I have to admit that my audio equipment is pretty dull and run of the mill, but I do still have my Dual turntable which is still in my parents loft and will be re-instated again when I get the chance.

As for music tastes I am very much into my rock and metal, however I will also listen to all kinds including The Cranberries, Suzanne Vega etc, but certainly not pop music........utter commercial garbage.