PDA

View Full Version : simplify media

steve dixon
18-10-2009, 17:57
one for the geeks this i think, what's gone wrong? i've downloaded this app and set it up on my mac mini/iphone no probs, except when i goto preferences>music and select my external hdd i get a 'no music available' message, if i select itunes library and playlists i can access just 17 tracks of 60 odd gig thats on the ext hdd, can anyone help?

my itunes works fine, if i use remote on the iphone all my music is available, as it is via the ibook, go connect to server, mac mini, screen share options.

it seems my ext hdd isn't in my 'music' folder, help.
cheers
steve

steve dixon
18-10-2009, 18:02
p.s,
i just downloaded a song from itunes and my available tunes has jumped up to 18, don't know if that helps but there you go, make of it what you will.
cheers
steve

steve dixon
18-10-2009, 20:13
update,
i may have found the problem, in simplify media>preferences>my music folder>add individual folders>ext hdd> if i now select any album and click ok, i get the message 'there are no music files in the folders selected'

to me this points to file ext problem?
steve

Beechwoods
18-10-2009, 20:57
Hi Steve - hope you can get to the bottom of this. I have a Mac, but I've not tried Simplify, so can't offer much help. Hopefully someone will pop by who can shed some light on things. You may well be on the right track though. Interesting that iTunes purchased content appears, but your other stuff doesn't. Was the track you purchased iTunes Plus or bog-standard DRM'd stuff?

Are you running the latest version of iTunes? Have you tried ripping something off one of your own discs since installing Simplify, and does that appear OK, like the track you downloaded from the Store?

Good luck getting things sorted.

steve dixon
19-10-2009, 01:00
ok so i think i've cracked it, the 18 files that are available are all m4a, i.e. apple lossless, the 60 gig that's gone missing are all aif. so it seems simplify doesn't recognise aif, luckily i have a large lossless library on the ibook so i wiped the ext hdd, and copied the itunes folder from the ibook onto it. i'm hoping i'll have loads of tunes available for those who wish to join me.

i'll let you know how it goes.
steve

p.s before you ask yes i backed up the ext hdd to another ext hdd before wiping.

steve dixon
19-10-2009, 01:29
well the title say's it all really doesn't it? i'm now sharing 'quite a large no of files' simplify informs me, about 300 albums for your perusal.
if your planning on using simplify, go lossloss m4a.
cheers
steve

DanJennings
19-10-2009, 10:29
alright steve, if you want to have a browse through my stuff, my username is pogoyen, and you're welcome to add me. it's left online most of the day

steve dixon
17-01-2010, 12:24
anybody else bothering? invite me or give me your name and i'll invite you.
thanks
steve

Gazjam
22-01-2010, 20:59
Hi Steve,

my User name is Gazjam...

35k tracks for your perusal!

webby
24-01-2010, 19:16
Mine is lrwebb

Just a thought, all simplify users could add their username to their sig, no?

steve dixon
24-01-2010, 23:39
guys,
those who've asked have been invited, enjoy, and thanks.
you know who you are so get stuck in.
cheers
steve

lovejoy
25-01-2010, 07:41
This looks great. Has anyone tried the UPnP sharing functions yet? Might be time to dig out the old Netgear streaming box I haven't used in ages for another go.

My simplify username is the same as my AoS username. I'm not entirely sure it's working properly yet though as my status seems to keep alternating between 1 track available and hundreds.. Hmmm. Maybe someone could try connecting and have a look for me.

webby
25-01-2010, 08:41
Looks like Simplify adjusts bit rate according to the bandwidth you have.

Rich and I are getting a bit rate of 160kbps.

steve dixon
27-01-2010, 14:55
after inviting all who asked, i found myself last night with 69,400 tracks to choose from, thanks
steve

webby
27-01-2010, 15:57
after inviting all who asked, i found myself last night with 69,400 tracks to choose from, thanks
steve

and then some. I'm adding more every day :)

steve dixon
27-01-2010, 17:25
update, right now im sharing 72,000+
bring it on.

webby
27-01-2010, 17:45
Excellent Steve.

Hey, I just noticed that you've been listening to Amused To Death from my library and I wasn't running Simplify*. I wasn't thinking but now it makes sense to me. You have to open simplify if you want to access other libraries. However, does my mac just need to be on for you to access it? Does iTunes need to be open? Does have to be 'not in sleep mode'?

p.s. I have 72,078 tracks at my disposal.

* Edit: Hmmm, maybe I was. :scratch:

steve dixon
27-01-2010, 17:51
it seems that as long as the computer is on, and itunes is active we can help ourselves, if this goes on we'll end up with more tunes than the beeb!
cheers
steve

webby
27-01-2010, 18:01
Shame about that 160kbps stream rate though eh?

DanJennings
05-07-2010, 17:44
has anyone else's simplify media gone tits up?
Is it because they've been sold to Google?