PDA

View Full Version : DIY 15"/18" Subwoofer recommendations.

DarrenHW
02-01-2016, 12:39
I'd like to build a sealed subwoofer using a Behringer iNuke for crossover and amp, this will be used exclusively for AV.

I like the idea of the Dayton Audio kits (http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-18-ultimax-subwoofer-and-cabinet-bundle--300-7099) which are reasonably priced but present less of a bargain with shipping and HMRC.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a 15" or 18" sub that can be sourced in the UK?

Puffin
02-01-2016, 13:02
Some years ago I built a coupled cavity sub. The reason I chose this was because of ease of build. The results were very good. However these are normally larger than a closed box, although if you are using a 15" driver it will not be that small:D

A friend leant me an iNuke last year with a view to going the active route with my main speakers. After having looked at what was required to set the thing up I felt that it was too much of an ask and never got further than switching it on! However if you are au-fait with setting drive unit crossover frequencies digitally and all the other hundreds of settings you can do with it then fine. I would plump for a sub plate amp which for my simple brain is good enough. I have a BK one which is very good. BK used to make all REL subwoofer amps.

StanleyB
02-01-2016, 15:31
When it comes to speakers and kits for building your own, there is nobody that I ever trusted more than http://www.wilmslow-audio.co.uk
If you can get hold of the Celestion handbook on how to build speakers that use drivers made by them, that would be an added bonus. I had a copy that I managed to get from their technical department free of charge. Unfortunately I lent it to someone who never returned it.

The Alchemist
02-01-2016, 21:58
Hi Darren,

Suggest you have a look at the IPL Acoustics SW6. £350 including delivery, I don't think you would be disappointed..........

Richard.

DarrenHW
04-01-2016, 16:13
Thanks for everyone's replies, sorry I've not replied sooner but I've been busier than expected.

Some years ago I built a coupled cavity sub. The reason I chose this was because of ease of build. The results were very good. However these are normally larger than a closed box, although if you are using a 15" driver it will not be that small:D

A friend leant me an iNuke last year with a view to going the active route with my main speakers. After having looked at what was required to set the thing up I felt that it was too much of an ask and never got further than switching it on! However if you are au-fait with setting drive unit crossover frequencies digitally and all the other hundreds of settings you can do with it then fine. I would plump for a sub plate amp which for my simple brain is good enough. I have a BK one which is very good. BK used to make all REL subwoofer amps.

No, I'm not au-fait with the plethora of options available but as I only want to use this for LF with one driver how difficult can it be ?:scratch: The catalyst for this is the amp plate on my existing sub dying, an iNuke seems like the next logical step. I can bypass the plate amp in my sub and wire the iNuke directly into the driver and play around with the configuration. Later down the line I can source another driver, build a new cabinet and hook up to the iNuke. I'm interested in the iNuke as ultimately I'd like to go OB and use an iNuke for LF so a good excuse to get a handle on the iNuke.

I'm aware of BK and have considered one of their subs but they only go up to 12".

When it comes to speakers and kits for building your own, there is nobody that I ever trusted more than http://www.wilmslow-audio.co.uk
If you can get hold of the Celestion handbook on how to build speakers that use drivers made by them, that would be an added bonus. I had a copy that I managed to get from their technical department free of charge. Unfortunately I lent it to someone who never returned it.

Just to be clear I'm not specifically after a kit, more recommendations for 15"/18" drivers available in the UK :). I'm familiar with Wilmslow but like BK they don't do anything over 12".

Hi Darren,

Suggest you have a look at the IPL Acoustics SW6. £350 including delivery, I don't think you would be disappointed..........

Richard.

I've also considered this Richard. What I would like is more info on the driver and specs on the sub as a complete unit. I'll probably get in touch but they're on hols till 11/01. Do you have first hand experience with the SW6, if so I'd be interested in your thoughts.

The Alchemist
04-01-2016, 19:43
Hi Darren,

One of my hobbies is building IPL speakers so I admit that I am a bit biased! I have an IPL 10 inch sub which I built many years ago which I am still very happy with but I am certain that Ivan has made improvements since. I have not heard the SW6 and I am not sure what driver is used. I do know that it is made to his specifications. I believe the plate amp is of German origin. Anyone who is familiar with Ivan's speakers will probably agree with me that he is incapable of selling a bad product.......

It would be a bit of a hike to travel from Wrexham to Illfracombe to listen to them but if you don't want to make the trip I believe that if you took a a chance you would get an excellent sub for very little money.

Regards, Richard.

RobsterD
08-01-2016, 09:49
Hi Darren,
Got this big 18" passive sub would make an interesting DIY project,though I'm in Southampton
http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?34720-For-Sale-couple-of-subs