PDA

View Full Version : Which Phono Stage?

Forkbeard
01-01-2016, 19:19
Hi Guys,
I have been using a Denon UD M30 CD Micro System with Monitor Audio Bronze B2 speakers for a few years but now want to get back into vinyl. I have spent the last six months buying the LP's of my youth. The first one I bought was Dark Side Of The Moon, it's funny how things go full circle, I remember buying this LP when I was about 14 in 1976, then a few years later bought the cassette and then the CD and now I'm back with the big, beautiful piece of vinyl again . I now have about 25 LP's but nothing to spin them on so when I saw a mint Rega P3-24 with TT PSU in my local dealer, Cymbiosis, I took a drive down and bought it. It has the stock RB301 arm with the Rega Bias cartridge. So now I need a phono stage to connect to my Denon, I have a budget of about £250, what would you guys recommend? I hope to upgrade to an Arcam FMJ 19 or the FMJ 29 but it will take me a while to save up for that.

CageyH
01-01-2016, 19:47
A Graham Slee Gram Amp 2 SE - if you join his forum, you can take advantage of the home loan scheme to see if it is right for you.

struth
01-01-2016, 20:07
Schiit Mani or the emotiva xps1. dont let the small price confuse you; they are both excellent with the emotiva being the best:)

Arkless Electronics
01-01-2016, 20:40
You won't get better than one of my Arkless 640P at the price.

guy
02-01-2016, 09:14
I used an Edwards Audio "Apprentice" for a while - should match your player well and added benefit of leaving you with £160 to buy more vinyl :)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Edwards-Audio-Apprentice-Moving-Magnet/dp/B00AEN0ZBM/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top?ie=UTF8

As and when funds allow/if you feel the need; try an NVA Phono 1 £260

or Phono 2 £490 (single power supply) - What I now use

Upgrade later to Phono 2 twin power supply - extra £200

What is nice about NVA other than "sound per pound" (rather vulgar phrase, but sums it up nicely!), are the options to try before you buy, trade in as you go "up" the range and ability to follow a route through the range for reasonable investment.

I have no financial connection to NVA, just speaking as a satisfied customer.

All the best with your system. Guy.

Forkbeard
02-01-2016, 21:05
Thanks guys, plenty to think about and have a look at there.