PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone ever re-plinthed an SL-1200 or 1210?

audiolad
18-10-2009, 03:52
I have been mulling this one over for some time now; looking at pics of re-plinthed Lencos on the net has had me wondering if a similar exercise would benefit an SL-1200. Slate would probably be best but pricey, so how about a nice veneered plywood design? Does anyone have any views on the subject? Or even tried it?

Mike.

Rare Bird
18-10-2009, 10:02
I don't think you can, you could sit the deck itself into a surround..

You really want to be looking at an old Denon direct drive unit for a full plinth really..You would stand a better chance with the Technics 'SL110' as far as fitting arms of choice in plinths go.

Tolstoi
18-10-2009, 19:20
Are you thinking about something like the Kaneta plinth or just a replacement for the rubber base?

Joerg

audiolad
19-10-2009, 01:23
Ah, the Kaneta! Was not thinking about anything quite that drastic, but, yes, replacing the rubber base with something more solid/rigid. I know Kab do one but this appears to be just a wooden surround that the whole deck drops into and as such is purely cosmetic. I was thinking more of a solid block of granite, wood, perspex, or similar cutting out a routing for the motor and electrics and mounting the top plate onto that. I think the best example I can think of is the sort of thing that Lenco users build for their GL-75s and similar decks with integrated tonearms.

Rare Bird
19-10-2009, 06:54
Sorry i think i may have mis took your idea, i thought you were thinking about junking the deck but just using the direct drive section!

Tolstoi
22-10-2009, 15:15
I'm interested in something like that too. Haven't got any ideas yet how it should be achieved in the end though.

Cheers

Joerg

The Vinyl Adventure
22-10-2009, 15:30
I'm sure I have heard about someone somewhere doing just this... Is there a tt nodding company based in Swindon? I'm fairly certain a guy I know who works in a hifi shop in Swindon said someone who worked for xyz company I'm Swindon had done this... Shall I try and investige ferther??

Tolstoi
23-10-2009, 13:02
Sure, why not. Any information about ths subject is welcome. The more ideas the better. Don't like the KAB attempt too much either.

Cheers

Joerg

The Vinyl Adventure
30-10-2009, 16:27
..hmm aparently the guy is called bob..??..
my mates gonna give him a ring and see what he can sus... might be a dead end, aparently he is semi retired

blake
30-10-2009, 16:54
http://db.audioasylum.com/cgi/m.mpl?forum=vinyl&n=808237&highlight=powermatic+technics&r=

http://db.audioasylum.com/cgi/m.mpl?forum=vinyl&n=810296&highlight=technics+plinth+powermatic&r=

http://db.audioasylum.com/cgi/m.mpl?forum=vinyl&n=816478&highlight=technics+plinth+powermatic&r=

You might want to contact Powermatic through audioasylum. I believe he finished up the project.

The Grand Wazoo
30-10-2009, 17:54
I noticed in the thread I put up for 'From The Grave' this week that Marco mentioned part of his plans for his gear were to put his TT into a new plinth................

Marco, Marco!!

Marco where are ya?

The Vinyl Adventure
30-10-2009, 18:51
probably off scaring young girls in a car park or something eaqually dodgy!!