PDA

View Full Version : Jeff Mackwood, Ottawa, Canada

jeffmackwood
23-12-2015, 23:45
Folks,

As I've done with quite a number of forums over the years, I've joined with a singular purpose: to introduce myself as an online resource regarding the old Koss CM Series (CM/1030, CM/1020 and CM/1010) of speakers that date from roughly 1977 to 1984.

Through the email address given below, quite literally hundreds of Koss CM owners have contacted me with any number of questions, all of which I've been quite happy to answer.

I can provide copies of the schematics / wiring diagrams for what were (and probably still are) some of the most complex passive crossovers ever designed, including a high quality scan of the only known Koss-original schematic of the CM/1030. (Any copy you see posted anywhere is a low-res copy of my original.)

I have a good collection of scanned information (owner's manual, brochures, etc.) as well as copies of all known trade publication reviews for the Koss CM Series.

I can provide advice regarding refurbishing - whether you are looking for a pro shop, or want to tackle it yourself.

I can provide advice if you are buying or selling.

All of this is free. I've never charged anything and don't ever plan to.

In the past, I had stripped several pairs (that were junkers) for salvageable parts (mostly drivers, but also things like badges, fuse holders, etc.) and would give them away for free (including shipping) to those looking to restore their own. Unfortunately I've not been able to get my hands on any for at least a few years and all of my spare parts have been given away.

My own main home theatre consists, in part, of five pairs of Koss CM/1030s, stacked in pairs, tweeter-to-tweeter, from floor to ceiling, each powered with one 200W amp channel. I've also got an extra pair of CM/1030, and one pair each of CM/1020 and CM/1010, for stereo listening.

It goes without saying that I love these speakers. I believe that it is partly because of my multiple postings and email messages that there's now a very solid base of owners of these speakers who have kept and restored their own, and plan to keep them for a very long time. This is likely why fewer and fewer are coming up for sale - as compared to, say, 5-10 years ago when it was easy to snag a pair dirt cheap that was in great condition. Regardless, one can still buy and restore a pair of CM/1030s to like-new performance for less than $1000, and they will perform as well as any new speaker costing many times as much, and hold their own with speakers all the way up to the $10k mark. No they won't sound the same (not too many speakers do) and yes it is a matter of subjective preference, but that's one of the great things about this hobby (passion, obsession, ...)

I won't be stopping by much to this Forum. Please don't take it personally. I'm that way with all of the other forums that I've joined and only jump in to threads specifically about the Koss CM Series. I make my "home" over at The Audio Annex. But as I said, I'll always respond to personal emails and would love to help any Koss CM Series owners (or potential owners) in need.

All the best.

Jeff Mackwood

junk666email@hotmail.com

CageyH
24-12-2015, 08:01
Welcome aboard Jeff.

brian2957
24-12-2015, 08:09
Welcome Jeff . We like system pictures here , so any would be appreciated :)

walpurgis
25-12-2015, 10:13
Hello Jeff. Welcome to AOS.

I remember the Koss speakers, but have not seen any for maybe forty years.

Tell us what music you like and about the rest of your Hi-Fi system. There is a Gallery section if you'd like to post equipment photos. They'd be appreciated.

Merry Christmas. Enjoy the forum, Geoff.