PDA

View Full Version : Why our brains love music with bass.

RichB
21-12-2015, 23:08
Really interesting little animation here...

http://youtu.be/ybZCY50-Hak

Scooby
21-12-2015, 23:24
Yep,it finally proves what a Genius Ivor was and is. Just kidding, ita s brilliant video with lots of interest, conveyed in a very attractive way.

awkwardbydesign
21-12-2015, 23:29
And it's not just Brians who like bass; I do too.

walpurgis
21-12-2015, 23:30
Just changed your title Rich. You had Brians instead of Brains, hope that's OK. :)

RichB
21-12-2015, 23:39
I'm a bass player so I'm always selectively listening out for it. Particularly any flourishes in electric bass playing always catch my ear. Guitar solos on the other hand I think I tune out. As long as the pitch is right it passes me by.

I went to see a mate's band playing a pub gig on Sat nt and as they were playing songs I knew and have played myself I could tell that their bass player was coasting and not really enjoying the gig. He played without any attack or refrain and was just covering the bare essentials in the song. When I asked my mate about him he said it wasn't really his ideal gig. I don't remember any of the guitar work from the 2 players I know are quite handy and realised I'd spent most of the gig focussed on one guy's playing.

RichB
21-12-2015, 23:39
Just changed your title Rich. You had Brians instead of Brains, hope that's OK. :)

Do Brians not like bass then?:lol:

walpurgis
21-12-2015, 23:42

Think. Use your Brians mate. :D

awkwardbydesign
22-12-2015, 00:05
I'm a bass player so I'm always selectively listening out for it.
I'm not, but I find myself doing the same. I also find I have a lot of albums by bass players, more jazz bass, like Arild Andersen, Eberhard Weber, Marc Johnson, etc.

take5
22-12-2015, 09:23
I'm a bass player so I'm always selectively listening out for it.

and realised I'd spent most of the gig focussed on one guy's playing.

I think that is totally natural and if it wasnt that way it would probably be something to worry about.

Everyone wants to improve on their own instrument and therefore honing in on it is natural and right.

However, there is stuff to be gained from honing in on other instruments playing, and avoiding your "own" instrument.
The trick is in being able to do it. Its difficult.

Im not a drummer but have recently been trying to concentrate on what is happening there.

Ideally we would be able just to sit back and take in the whole thing as music, but sadly that is often not possible as a musician. Analysis, working out, and trying to understand is the cross we have to bear.

awkwardbydesign
22-12-2015, 09:43
It's not just players, at gigs/concerts I often do the same, especially with those musicians where I can see them clearly. I like the drummer in Fink, so recently I watched him at a gig. And the lead guitarist at a Bevis Frond gig, with my grandson who is studying guitar at uni. Incredible playing too!
The sound is usually better at home though, so it's easier to pick out one instrument, which is when I find myself concentrating more on the bass player.

MikeMusic
22-12-2015, 18:32

They have famous brothers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oa0lzZMkrLw